Nand Swapping

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by D1RTMANN, Jan 27, 2010.

Jan 27, 2010

Nand Swapping by D1RTMANN at 7:09 PM (1,129 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. D1RTMANN
    OP

Newcomer D1RTMANN Member

United States
    This may be something that has already been done, or may not be possible, who knows, Now I have tried this and have had no results yet. Ok here it goes....

1. I have a bricked Wii board no nand couple pads came off OOPS,, :-) , and a Unbricked Wii with bootmii installed, both have boot2 ability.

2. So I try to link the wires by the via's from one nand to another. and nothing, neither will show a bootmii screen, but if I unhook wires then the good Wii show's boot Mii screen, so I know that board is still good.

3. So here is the question.......... Is there a way to use the nand from the good board without desoldering it, to get bootmii to load and get my keys from shit Wii?

If any more info is needed please let me know.

Remember the bricked Wii, has no way of having a nandchip on it.

2. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Why do you even want the keys for a damaged motherboard? They're pretty much useless if there's no NAND on it.

As far as "borrowing" another wii's NAND...it's likely going to be difficult if not impossible.

Even if you desoldered or managed to make the connections properly, there are other factors that determine if it will work, such as the versions of boot1 (must be same on both consoles) and boot2 (working wii must have same or newer version than on bricked wii).

3. D1RTMANN
    OP

Newcomer D1RTMANN Member

United States
    Well first off I want the keys cause I do have a nand dump from that Wii, just do not have keys, If I do obtain keys I will then be able to convert my nand over to the good wii's nand, Therefore having my game saves. Also this is a great test.

I already know how to convert the nand to the other wii.

I have already done that with other boards.

Also they both have a vulnerable boot 1 therefore they both can have boot mii installed as boot 2. (the good Wii already has this boot2v4).

There are only 5 different boot 1's I have at least 2 of them sooo, I could get a 3,4,5 easily :-). I will keep a collection lol. boot2 is not a problem I have the v4 so unless there is a v5 I'm good there.

I do have an infectus chip.

I could possibly patch my shit board but I'm looking for a simpler way.

I have no idea if the keys actually reside on the nand itself inwhich case I would never get my keys, or if they are located somewhere else on the board that bootmii obtains them from.

However if hypothetically speaking I did get it wired up and get a boot mii screen, I would verify the keys it shows to the ones of the good (Wii).

All I need to know is why when wired by the vias, does neither Wii show a screen, I power on dead wii only, I have also tryed power on to both, When video is switched to good Wii and power only to good wii, It shows black screen, but when unwired and turned back on it shows bootmii. So somewhere the wiring by the vias is not working.

4. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    That's always an option...

There are a few members on here (DeadlyFoez to name one) that do have experience in this kind of stuff. One of them might know more about it.

5. nicksasa

Member nicksasa GBAtemp Maniac

Belgium
    you *could* link the 2 nands but you must besolder the bad nand otherwise they wil conflict and nothing will happen but still, you only have bootmii then but that would be easly solved by running comex nand formatter

Posts merged

maybe just desoldering the GND pin and Vcc would work but im not sure

6. D1RTMANN
    OP

Newcomer D1RTMANN Member

United States
    No problem desoldering the bad nand its not there so no conflict can arise.

7. D1RTMANN
    OP

Newcomer D1RTMANN Member

United States
    I had checked the connections numerous times, and yes It was a infectus dump, I do remember when doing a nand flash with a wii and infectus the wii must be powered on. So thats is why I had tried powering on both. But still had no success. I think the wiring is with the issue that the vias are located on the bottom of the processor, so technically I believe it will not work unless the process has power to direct the data, I think it gets confused cause it loops thru second processor. If I could avoid that and just solder direct to nand or shit wii via's to direct nand, then I think it would work fine, but again, I am hoping for no soldering, the nand is tooooo small to work with.