Hacking NAND Restore - different serial #

budgreen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my daughter has a 3ds with BS9/Luma on it. When I installed BS9, I backed up the NAND. She dropped the 3ds and I had a local repair shop fix it. When we got it back, BS9 and Luma were gone so I reinstalled with ntrboot (r4i method). Once I backed up the NAND, I noticed that the serial number had changed and her NNID was no longer linked so I suspect the shop replaced the board.

I have both serial numbers. Can I edit the Secureinfo file to change the serial number and restore the original NAND backup to keep from losing everything on the SD card? Thanks!

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my daughter has a 3ds with BS9/Luma on it. When I installed BS9, I backed up the NAND. She dropped the 3ds and I had a local repair shop fix it. When we got it back, BS9 and Luma were gone so I reinstalled with ntrboot (r4i method). Once I backed up the NAND, I noticed that the serial number had changed and her NNID was no longer linked so I suspect the shop replaced the board.

I have both serial numbers. Can I edit the Secureinfo file to change the serial number and restore the original NAND backup to keep from losing everything on the SD card? Thanks!
Sadly, you need the otp.bin from the original console to decrypt the nand backup.

budgreen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Giodude, thanks for the quick reply. That's too bad. Had I known, I would have backed it up. I can't imagine why the tutorial wouldn't have emphasized the need to backup that file.

Reactions: Giodude

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Giodude, thanks for the quick reply. That's too bad. Had I known, I would have backed it up. I can't imagine why the tutorial wouldn't have emphasized the need to backup that file.
Honestly they should. Is it possible to contact the store and ask what they did and if they still have the board?

budgreen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly they should. Is it possible to contact the store and ask what they did and if they still have the board?

They told me that the frame was cracked so they replaced it and they also replaced the upper LCD display. AFAIK, that wouldn't have changed the serial number of the board. They replaced the serial number sticker on the bottom of the 3DS as well to match the new board. The old board was broken though so I don't think that getting it back would help. The 3DS would power on for a second, make a "pop" then shut off and then eventually, it wouldn't power on at all.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They told me that the frame was cracked so they replaced it and they also replaced the upper LCD display. AFAIK, that wouldn't have changed the serial number of the board. They replaced the serial number sticker on the bottom of the 3DS as well to match the new board. The old board was broken though so I don't think that getting it back would help. The 3DS would power on for a second, make a "pop" then shut off and then eventually, it wouldn't power on at all.
I've done that before. An important ribbon cable was torn. Also happened while I replaced the top lcd.

budgreen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you have the old serial number, you can edit it in the new 3ds to use your nnid. I did a custom aerial for myself, works fine.

The NNID isn't really the problem, it's the content that is lost because I didn't back up the otp.bin. It was at least a learning experience..... ALWAYS backup the otp.bin!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol