Hardware NAND Flash Dump (3DS)

Peck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I have a gateway card and a nand back up made by it. I noticed my kids had accidentally updated firmware to latest official release (7.2.0-17E). Can I restore my previously made nand back up with this mod and after I have made this mod what is exactly the way to put the backed up nand(.bin) to 3ds? Can anyone help please?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I have a gateway card and a nand back up made by it. I noticed my kids had accidentally updated firmware to latest official release (7.2.0-17E). Can I restore my previously made nand back up with this mod and after I have made this mod what is exactly the way to put the backed up nand(.bin) to 3ds? Can anyone help please?
Yeah this can be used to downgrade back to 4.x if you have the NAND backup, you just solder the wires once done, insert the SD adapter into the computer, it will show as a SD/MMC card in windows, then just use win32diskimager to write the old NAND dump back to the system

Peck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yeah this can be used to downgrade back to 4.x if you have the NAND backup, you just solder the wires once done, insert the SD adapter into the computer, it will show as a SD/MMC card in windows, then just use win32diskimager to write the old NAND dump back to the system
Thanks for the info! I was wondering can I solder the wires straight to SD adapter, without any connectors and leave it inside 3DS when it is done?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Thanks for the info! I was wondering can I solder the wires straight to SD adapter, without any connectors and leave it inside 3DS when it is done?
Hmmmm it might be possible but it will be a tight squeeze to find a place for the SD adaptor to fit in.......but it might be possible, you could also use coloured cables and cut them so you can just rejoin at a later date if you need to, you could probably run them through the battery port so you wouldn't need to unscrew it all

Peck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/03/ebamu8an.jpg[/IMG
As you can see my motherboard is a little bit different than the pictures in the first post. I have four golden soldering points in line (instead of three) and we assumed that the lowest point is still CMD. Can anyone confirm this? Now we get blue screen with this text:
BOOTROM: 8046
ERRCODE: 00F800EF
FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF
00000022 00000000
when we connect the adapter to sd-reader so we can't continue this any further.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
As you can see my motherboard is a little bit different than the pictures in the first post. I have four golden soldering points in line (instead of three) and we assumed that the lowest point is still CMD. Can anyone confirm this? Now we get blue screen with this text:
FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF
00000022 00000000
Hmm strange, I didn't know there was any revised motherboards, I have no idea Tbh, but suppose it would be worth trying the third down like it was with the original, just wondering if the 4 contact could be a clk point, which would make things easier

ShocWave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's not a 3DS XL. Isn't the original 3DS soldering points under the game slot?
I read that you have to remove the slot before you can find the soldering points, but I haven't seen many pictures of it done.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FFFFFFFF FFFFFFFF
00000022 00000000

I have seen this mobo revision and I can confirm that it is the third one not the last one. I have had to find out the hard way.

That's not a 3DS XL. Isn't the original 3DS soldering points under the game slot?

I read that you have to remove the slot before you can find the soldering points, but I haven't seen many pictures of it done.

There is a point on the other side of the mobo so you do not have to remove the game slot.
CTR_NAND_pinout.png

On the other revision, you will have to look for the array of resistors and go from there. The box that surrounds it in the pic is not there, but some of the markings are (TP255 & TP165 IIRC).

Peck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hmm strange, I didn't know there was any revised motherboards, I have no idea Tbh, but suppose it would be worth trying the third down like it was with the original, just wondering if the 4 contact could be a clk point, which would make things easier

Ok. We tried to change CMD point to the third down. Now we get this error:
ERRCODE: 00F800FF
DFDFFFFF FFFFFFFF
00000008 00000000
Any suggestions?

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. We tried to change CMD point to the third down. Now we get this error:
ERRCODE: 00F800FF
DFDFFFFF FFFFFFFF
00000008 00000000
Any suggestions?

I don't see a wire for the clk point. Also you will see this error, while reading writing to the NAND. It will not boot correctly when connected to a PC or USB adapter.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I don't see a wire for the clk point. Also you will see this error, while reading writing to the NAND. It will not boot correctly when connected to a PC or USB adapter.
I was thinking the same thing when I looked at the picture, but was out on my phone, so wasn't the best viewing conditions

If you haven't done the clk point, you will either need to remove the board and solder to the back ( you will need to use thiner wire than you have used on the other points if you plan to keep it in there though as it goes directly behind the screen, or unsolder the cartridge slot) if you don't want to try either of those, see if that 4th pad is a clk point, would kinda make sense to have one there as a revision more similar to how the XL has it's test points, but no promises it might be something completely different

Peck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
aqu5yvy6.jpg

Ok. Here's another pic. We used the CLK point from the other side of the mobo. And yes, in this version the point wasn't inside marking lines like in the first post but it was at the same place.

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried booting without the USB adapter connected to the SD adapter? The adapter itself can cause the boot error. Plug it in with the boot error and windows will pop up a window asking if you want to format. DO NOT FORMAT DISK, whatever you do.

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When you boot with the usb reader attached, I guess it completes the circuit, even if the usb reader isn't powered by any pc

Your "error code" seems to be exactly the right one for accessing the nand via the interface

Peck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It seems that the sd adapter has some problems. We'll continue tomorrow, thank you all for advices!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If your planning to leave the wire in permanently with a connector of sorts, I suggest you re-route the clk wire to the bottom of the 3ds, looks like it could cause issues with the LCD ribbon cable up there

Peck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
a6ube3yp.jpg

We changed micro sd-adapter and got the same errorcode as before. Device boots normally without sd usb-reader. With reader it gives the error code but when trying to connect to pc it won't show up as a drive. There is the sound that it connects but it doesn't ask to format the drive and it doesn't show in drives. Maybe the problem is with the usb-reader. I think i should buy another one.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
a6ube3yp.jpg

We changed micro sd-adapter and got the same errorcode as before. Device boots normally without sd usb-reader. With reader it gives the error code but when trying to connect to pc it won't show up as a drive. There is the sound that it connects but it doesn't ask to format the drive and it doesn't show in drives. Maybe the problem is with the usb-reader. I think i should buy another one.
Just try any card readers you have access to first I.e friends laptops etc, so you can get a better idea, I have tried a few different ones, the one in my laptop is hit and miss sometimes works sometimes pops up for a second and disappears, but the one in my PC works perfect every time, I read one person got through about 4/5 readers before they got one that's worked for them, but I think they just had bad luck :lol:

ehnoah

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My mod coming this days. But I got it modded by a old god. I think a modded 3DS is the best think we could do, since we can update to 7.2 from 4.5 in order to get all Updates etc. so we are a few that can play online, even if Gateway Team fail :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.