Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

lightenup

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
As on a document some pages before at least 2 Pins are marked with nc.
Riku wants to use one of the GND pins for CMD or DAT0, but as soon as a regular SD card is inserted the CMD or DAT0 is tied to GND and the SoC will no longer be able to communicate with the flash. Additionally, pin #8 and #9 are usually tied to DAT1 and DAT2.. granted, those pins are not essential for the non-parallel transfer modes and I have no idea whether the 3ds SD card reader makes use of them.

Cyberdrive

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Riku wants to use one of the GND pins for CMD or DAT0, but as soon as a regular SD card is inserted the CMD or DAT0 is tied to GND and the SoC will no longer be able to communicate with the flash.
So if we isolate the 2nd GND (pin #3 or #6) on a regular SD card with, say, a patch of scotch tape, 3DS won't get GND on whatever signal wire we connect to that pin and will be able to boot as normal? Assuming that at the same time, SD card with only one of GND pins connected will still work, dumper/flasher seems possible to me. I'm okay with being unable to use SD cards that don't have second GND pin isolated as long as connecting such card to 3DS with modified card reader won't fry anything.

See attached pic for pin reference, taken straight from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Technical_details with SD pinout left there.
MMC-SD-miniSD-microSD-Color-Numbers-Names.gif

lightenup

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
So if we isolate the 2nd GND (pin #3 or #6) on a regular SD card with, say, a patch of scotch tape, 3DS won't get GND on whatever signal wire we connect to that pin and will be able to boot as normal? Assuming that at the same time, SD card with only one of GND pins connected will still work, dumper/flasher seems possible to me. I'm okay with being unable to use SD cards that don't have second GND pin isolated as long as connecting such card to 3DS with modified card reader won't fry anything.

See attached pic for pin reference, taken straight from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#Technical_details with SD pinout left there.
Assuming the 3ds does not use parallel transfer modes (i.e., DAT1,DAT2 are really NC): yes. In case you ever forget about isolating the GND pin, the 3ds will remind you with a blue screen ;)

Riku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's also one unused NC pin available inside gamecard slot
Assuming the 3ds does not use parallel transfer modes (i.e., DAT1,DAT2 are really NC): yes. In case you ever forget about isolating the GND pin, the 3ds will remind you with a blue screen ;)
good thing you mentioned it.. actually, it most likely using dat1 and dat2 so chances this will work are very small((

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

vini9157

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
you need a soldering station that you can control the temp and the tip has to be needle pointed or SMD capable. not the blunted cheap plug in kind you can get from radioshack.

It should look something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/X-TRONIC-MODEL-4010-XTS-Centigrade-ANTI-MAGNETIC/dp/B0053491YO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1376616871&sr=8-4&keywords=soldering station

I did without it, just a regular one (40w btw hahaha), but it worked, i got a perfect blue screen, but my computer dont recognize it, im using a chinese internal multi card reader, i dont know if it is the problem

n1ghty

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
We want to see the final solution! :P

Here it is, just backed up the third 3DS XL.
Ugly as hell :D Only had a old soldering iron at hand, that's why I tried to do it solderless.
Poor 3DS would have died :P
As soon as I get a better soldering iron, I will make a new one with a flex cable which comes out of the battery compartment.

My board is only fixated with some tape and the pressure of the case.

zn3m.jpg

z7b2.jpg

fba1.jpg

P

pasc

I might try this as i have a 5th 3DSXL White on pre-order will dump nand on current unit with all software and do transfer to new white unit. Then clone SDCARD of original and flash my NAND Backup on OLD XL after transfer

A FIFTH 3DS XL ? Wow... I'll be happy with just a 3DS and one XL...

Here it is, just backed up the third 3DS XL.
Ugly as hell :D Only had a old soldering iron at hand, that's why I tried to do it solderless.
Poor 3DS would have died :P
As soon as I get a better soldering iron, I will make a new one with a flex cable which comes out of the battery compartment.

My board is only fixated with some tape and the pressure of the case.

zn3m.jpg

z7b2.jpg

fba1.jpg

Someone should make these adapter <-> clip on board's for sale and earn a fortune.

Seems like a nice solution if you don't want to solder.

BTW: I heard there is a simlar Guide on how to dump the nand of the WiiU aswell...
sort of related, deadlyfoes pointed out the Wii U nand (eMMC) can be read like an SD card. It is on wiiubrew. I have not found anyone who will admit to trying it. This is great for the 3ds scene.
oh... I see (http://wiiubrew.org/wiki/EMMC_NAND)

anubis66679

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
OK im confused here, ive done everything, this is the stage im at, ive done all the wiring inside my 3DSXL and hooked it up to a USB powered Multi card reader just like on this German website, the 3DS will show as drive G: in my windows 7. I have my Empty micro SD adapter plugged just like on the site (it seems to complete the connection, without adapter nothing shows up) but windows is asking me to format the device to be able to recognize it, but that sounds like it will erase my 3ds. is that normal? and should i go thru with it? ive spent hours and its doing my head in arhhh! what do i do?

german site....http://www.ps3-tools.de/thread.php?postid=531806

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nobody is reading what you post.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.