Hardware nand flash dump (3ds xl)

Arnold0

Trophies
Website
arnold0.com
XP
Country
France
I got this before (Now my mod is broken and I won't do it again, it's too dangerous on original 3DS) and yes I was able to read but not write. After I updated my drivers it worked. If you can read, then just try to write, but if you can read the mod is done properly.

Reactions: excalibrax

excalibrax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What drivers did you download, I just have a generic usb reader.

Also I'm getting this error without it plugged into the PC, when it is plugged in before power on the 3ds boots normally. If I power on the 3ds with nothing plugged in it goes to bootrom.

Arnold0

Trophies
Website
arnold0.com
XP
Country
France
I just used a french website http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=29 which can detect automaticaly the drivers you need for your computer and took the one about my card reader. I had to do this only on one of my PC's, on the others it worked with windows generic driver. If you try to write it don't work? If you have 3 dumps with the same md5 it should be ok to try.

excalibrax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you I've been running a multimeter and trying to see if I crossed things and couldn't find any crosstalk. Now I'm having the issue where Win32 disk imager won't recongnize the H drive thats coming up in windows ><

manhsoi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys , where did you guys get the micro wire and what is it called ?:( . I tried to find around my house but I can't find it

excalibrax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used Some old IDE cable and made it down to 4 wires. Its thin and hard to work with though.

Also I just got the thing reading again, is there any reason my md5 checksums should be different from yesterday if I haven't played any games?
I'm running a few more new passes to make sure the new checks resolve themselves before I attempt a write.

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I used Some old IDE cable and made it down to 4 wires. Its thin and hard to work with though.

Also I just got the thing reading again, is there any reason my md5 checksums should be different from yesterday if I haven't played any games?
I'm running a few more new passes to make sure the new checks resolve themselves before I attempt a write.

I know you got it working again, but as a rule of thumb, in 9 out of 10 cases when people do this kind of stuff, the problem is the soldering - cold joints, shorts, et cetera - rather than the wiring itself.

Any write to the file system will change the MD5 sum of the new dump. I'm sure the 3DS logs all kinds of data, probably just booting it is enough for some write to occur.

Reactions: pelago

excalibrax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In regards to the soldering I checked the connections with a multimeter and they came up fine, so I did a few more passes checked their md5 and a write, and everything worked fine. Going to do an update and try a write and see if that downgrades. Doing everything in steps :). I think what changed most was that it was a day between dumps so time info might have changed it.

Just did a successful write after an upgrade. Downgraded my 3ds successfully. Thanks everyone on the forum for your help!

Reactions: Cyberdrive

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Now only thing left is to engineer a way to get a virgin backup that we can write into any 3ds xl ^^ i dream too much lol

Jay.T

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
So my mod is now complete after a very long day yesterday. I must say though that I am very happy with the result, even though it's my first hardware mod, and I had a friend help out with the soldering work. Please don't laugh if it looks like a hack job :P

The points on the 3DS XL are smaller than people made out in this thread though.. But it all worked out in the end. So we managed to get the connector completely behind the battery cover! So with the cover on its just a regular 3DSXL. Made a custom cable using old IDE cable, small 4 pin connector and microSD to USB adapter.

Everything went pretty smooth really, and now I have my 4.5 for Gateway backed up. RARed it and put it in Dropbox (compresses to 340 MB). And updated to 6.3 to play Pokemon! It takes around 4 mins to go back to old firmware, when I want to use Gateway.

Anyway, very happy now! :)

IMG_1159.JPGIMG_1165.JPGIMG_1167.JPG

Reactions: pelago

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So my mod is now complete after a very long day yesterday. I must say though that I am very happy with the result, even though it's my first hardware mod, and I had a friend help out with the soldering work. Please don't laugh if it looks like a hack job :P

The points on the 3DS XL are smaller than people made out in this thread though.. But it all worked out in the end. So we managed to get the connector completely behind the battery cover! So with the cover on its just a regular 3DSXL. Made a custom cable using old IDE cable, small 4 pin connector and microSD to USB adapter.

Everything went pretty smooth really, and now I have my 4.5 for Gateway backed up. RARed it and put it in Dropbox (compresses to 340 MB). And updated to 6.3 to play Pokemon! It takes around 4 mins to go back to old firmware, when I want to use Gateway.

Anyway, very happy now! :)

View attachment 4636View attachment 4637View attachment 4638

One small comment; looks like those connector pins will end up awfully close to the battery cover when you close it. I believe the cover is made out of anodized aluminum. The surface should not be conductive, but the aluminum oxide layer is extremely thin, and the connector pins look sharp.

I'd suggest you cover the pins with something non conductive, perhaps a piece of tape, before you attach the cover, to avoid eventual shorts.

Jay.T

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
One small comment; looks like those connector pins will end up awfully close to the battery cover when you close it. I believe the cover is made out of anodized aluminum. The surface should not be conductive, but the aluminum oxide layer is extremely thin, and the connector pins look sharp.

I'd suggest you cover the pins with something non conductive, perhaps a piece of tape, before you attach the cover, to avoid eventual shorts.

Thanks for the tip. I might just put some electrical tape on the underside of the battery cover, just above the pins.

Although I am pretty sure it's not touching.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi, can someone confirm that it's easier to do on a 3ds xl? have both upgrades and downgrades been confirmed to work on it? thanks.

also, if I download a game on the 3ds, then downgrade and re-upgrade, will I be able to play it? or does it get erased meanwhile?

Arnold0

Trophies
Website
arnold0.com
XP
Country
France
If you flash back your dump you'll get back your games. But you can't play then in the dumps that you did before buying.
About 3ds - 3DS Xl, Xl is easier because you don't have to remove the mother board to solder on an extremely small point on the bottom.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you flash back your dump you'll get back your games. But you can't play then in the dumps that you did before buying.
About 3ds - 3DS Xl, Xl is easier because you don't have to remove the mother board to solder on an extremely small point on the bottom.

thank you very much. so, if I want to download a game that needs a firmware > 4.5, is it the same if I backup the new firmware before or after downloading the game?
what I mean is: do the backups contain informations that allow me to use the games I downloaded, so that if I make the backup before downloading a certain game, when putting that dump back I can't play it?
thanks again.

edit: ok I guess it's kinda pointless to ask. I'll just make a new backup each time I download a new game (after the download of course).

spectlze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi i just registered but i have been following gbatemp for a long time. I decided to do a nand dump on my 3ds xl ver 4.3 but im wondering where gnd located. I can only see clk, cmd plus dat 0 and should i use a twisted pair wire or a solid conection wire?

Arnold0

Trophies
Website
arnold0.com
XP
Country
France
Hi i just registered but i have been following gbatemp for a long time. I decided to do a nand dump on my 3ds xl ver 4.3 but im wondering where gnd located. I can only see clk, cmd plus dat 0 and should i use a twisted pair wire or a solid conection wire?

GND is on many part, like the metalic part of the 3DS card reader or the metalic part of the SD card reader.
You can use any wires, twisted pair is not needed.

spectlze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
GND is on many part, like the metalic part of the 3DS card reader or the metalic part of the SD card reader.
You can use any wires, twisted pair is not needed.

Thanks for the help now i only need to actually get off the 3ds screws and those are really tight. :P

Ziver.W

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I don't know if there is possibility. but i hope so.
you can just paste out your current fw version, and let other find a game with not too much later fw version.
since playing a game would force you to install its fw (if you got a older version), you would not goes too long - if you don't think keeping 3ds away from newest updates is essential, you can just connect to 3ds eshop and let it download the update (not a good suggestion, if you got interested in hacking it after then). anyways iirc there seems to be no one tried that before (oh well you can try contact someone on efnet.org #3dsdev to see if such a method can been tried already).
if you have the proper ability you can try it, though.
你最近去哪里了?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30