1. Arnold0

Arnold0 GBAtemp Fan

France
    I got this before (Now my mod is broken and I won't do it again, it's too dangerous on original 3DS) and yes I was able to read but not write. After I updated my drivers it worked. If you can read, then just try to write, but if you can read the mod is done properly.

excalibrax likes this.
  2. excalibrax

excalibrax Member
    Newcomer

United States
    What drivers did you download, I just have a generic usb reader.

Also I'm getting this error without it plugged into the PC, when it is plugged in before power on the 3ds boots normally. If I power on the 3ds with nothing plugged in it goes to bootrom.

3. Arnold0

Arnold0 GBAtemp Fan

France
    I just used a french website http://www.touslesdrivers.com/index.php?v_page=29 which can detect automaticaly the drivers you need for your computer and took the one about my card reader. I had to do this only on one of my PC's, on the others it worked with windows generic driver. If you try to write it don't work? If you have 3 dumps with the same md5 it should be ok to try.

excalibrax likes this.
  4. excalibrax

excalibrax Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Thank you I've been running a multimeter and trying to see if I crossed things and couldn't find any crosstalk. Now I'm having the issue where Win32 disk imager won't recongnize the H drive thats coming up in windows ><

5. manhsoi

manhsoi Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi guys , where did you guys get the micro wire and what is it called ?:( . I tried to find around my house but I can't find it

6. excalibrax

excalibrax Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I used Some old IDE cable and made it down to 4 wires. Its thin and hard to work with though.

Also I just got the thing reading again, is there any reason my md5 checksums should be different from yesterday if I haven't played any games?
    I'm running a few more new passes to make sure the new checks resolve themselves before I attempt a write.

7. kaputnik

kaputnik GBAtemp Regular

I know you got it working again, but as a rule of thumb, in 9 out of 10 cases when people do this kind of stuff, the problem is the soldering - cold joints, shorts, et cetera - rather than the wiring itself.

Any write to the file system will change the MD5 sum of the new dump. I'm sure the 3DS logs all kinds of data, probably just booting it is enough for some write to occur.

pelago likes this.
  8. excalibrax

excalibrax Member
    Newcomer

United States
    In regards to the soldering I checked the connections with a multimeter and they came up fine, so I did a few more passes checked their md5 and a write, and everything worked fine. Going to do an update and try a write and see if that downgrades. Doing everything in steps :). I think what changed most was that it was a day between dumps so time info might have changed it.

Just did a successful write after an upgrade. Downgraded my 3ds successfully. Thanks everyone on the forum for your help!

Cyberdrive likes this.
  9. Elusivo

Elusivo Shinobu Molester

Portugal
    Now only thing left is to engineer a way to get a virgin backup that we can write into any 3ds xl ^^ i dream too much lol

10. Jay.T

Jay.T Member
    Newcomer

So my mod is now complete after a very long day yesterday. I must say though that I am very happy with the result, even though it's my first hardware mod, and I had a friend help out with the soldering work. Please don't laugh if it looks like a hack job :P

The points on the 3DS XL are smaller than people made out in this thread though.. But it all worked out in the end. So we managed to get the connector completely behind the battery cover! So with the cover on its just a regular 3DSXL. Made a custom cable using old IDE cable, small 4 pin connector and microSD to USB adapter.

Everything went pretty smooth really, and now I have my 4.5 for Gateway backed up. RARed it and put it in Dropbox (compresses to 340 MB). And updated to 6.3 to play Pokemon! It takes around 4 mins to go back to old firmware, when I want to use Gateway.

Anyway, very happy now! :)

IMG_1159.JPG IMG_1165.JPG IMG_1167.JPG

pelago likes this.
  11. kaputnik

kaputnik GBAtemp Regular

One small comment; looks like those connector pins will end up awfully close to the battery cover when you close it. I believe the cover is made out of anodized aluminum. The surface should not be conductive, but the aluminum oxide layer is extremely thin, and the connector pins look sharp.

I'd suggest you cover the pins with something non conductive, perhaps a piece of tape, before you attach the cover, to avoid eventual shorts.

excalibrax likes this.
  12. Jay.T

Jay.T Member
    Newcomer

Thanks for the tip. I might just put some electrical tape on the underside of the battery cover, just above the pins.

Although I am pretty sure it's not touching.

13. tyons

tyons GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    hi, can someone confirm that it's easier to do on a 3ds xl? have both upgrades and downgrades been confirmed to work on it? thanks.

also, if I download a game on the 3ds, then downgrade and re-upgrade, will I be able to play it? or does it get erased meanwhile?

14. Arnold0

Arnold0 GBAtemp Fan

France
    If you flash back your dump you'll get back your games. But you can't play then in the dumps that you did before buying.
    About 3ds - 3DS Xl, Xl is easier because you don't have to remove the mother board to solder on an extremely small point on the bottom.

15. tyons

tyons GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Italy
    thank you very much. so, if I want to download a game that needs a firmware > 4.5, is it the same if I backup the new firmware before or after downloading the game?
    what I mean is: do the backups contain informations that allow me to use the games I downloaded, so that if I make the backup before downloading a certain game, when putting that dump back I can't play it?
    thanks again.

edit: ok I guess it's kinda pointless to ask. I'll just make a new backup each time I download a new game (after the download of course).

16. spectlze

spectlze Member
    Newcomer

Hi i just registered but i have been following gbatemp for a long time. I decided to do a nand dump on my 3ds xl ver 4.3 but im wondering where gnd located. I can only see clk, cmd plus dat 0 and should i use a twisted pair wire or a solid conection wire?

17. Arnold0

Arnold0 GBAtemp Fan

France

GND is on many part, like the metalic part of the 3DS card reader or the metalic part of the SD card reader.
    You can use any wires, twisted pair is not needed.

18. spectlze

spectlze Member
    Newcomer

Thanks for the help now i only need to actually get off the 3ds screws and those are really tight. :P

19. pelago

pelago Member

Make sure you use a Phillips #00 screwdriver. Anything else may damage the screw heads.

20. Ziver.W

Ziver.W Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Switzerland
    你最近去哪里了?

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - flash,