Hacking Nand backup locked to console?

GimmeWii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Is a nand backup locked to a specific console or could I use my friends if I like? No reason for it, but just curious. Me and a friend have different ideas. We're agreed that PAL work with PAL, NTSC work with NTSC. But I say it may be likely it'll contain unique key etc. so a backup only works with that console.

If you haven't made one? Do it since Nintendo are on the hunt to stop this. Hopefully you already aware about this.

GimmeWii

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
GimmeWii said:
Is a nand backup locked to a specific console ...
Yes it is, but you can use betwiin to convert a NAND from any Wii to another one.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Betwiin

Edit:
Sorry, beegee7730 was faster.
wink.gif

Add:
The NAND is encrypted by the NAND/HMAC key and these keys are stored in the hollywood chip U1.

Btw, all this you can read @ http://wiibrew.org/wiki/
wink.gif

KiiNG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nands are embedded with your console's ID key. Straight up, they wont work cross-console. You can use something like Betwin to place your console key into his nand.

GimmeWii

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Really good. Thanks for quick answer!

And if you make a backup, see if you can store one at a friends house incase of a harddrive failure.

GimmeWii

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
KiiNG said:
Nands are embedded with your console's ID key. Straight up, they wont work cross-console. You can use something like Betwin to place your console key into his nand.
Huh, didn't realize it changed the HMAC key as well as re=encrypting. Makes sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...