Hacking Naming standard for multi disc games

fig2k4

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk
XP
Country
I was wondering if we already have a naming standard for multi disc games, or hopefully come up with one.

What I mean is, the label added to the display and folder names for the 2nd or 3rd disc etc.

For example, the folder names would look like this..

Resident Evil [GBIE08]
Resident Evil [GBIE08] (Disc 2)

And the title displayed like this..

Resident Evil
Resident Evil Disc 2

I'm happy to go along with whatever has already been implemented in the loaders, or if we can use what I suggested above, it makes no difference. The main thing is that we really need a standard naming convention so that we know what to look for when deleting existing folders when ripping or copying new games to drives. Otherwise, there'll be stray copies of game discs left on the drive that the user will have to delete manually.

It's much quicker to look for a bunch of known file/folder names than to check for duplicates by reading the header of every single game on the drive, which is the only other alternative I can think of.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
The standard naming currently used by the extraction tools are

Resident Evil [GBIE08] --- Disc 1
Resident Evil [GBIE082] --- Disc 2

Loaders then add Disc 2 to the end of multidisc games to distinguish first or second disc like this when browsing games.

Resident Evil
Resident Evil - Disc 2

Convention used by the old Discex was,disc 1 GBIE08 and disc 2 GBIE082 not sure with GCReEx, now loaders can read from several naming conversions then write the necessary info to memory/file for DML to use, so the old ID6+2 isnt a must when creating folder structures, you can now use "Title [ID6+2]" or many other formats just like Wii games then the loader takes care of the rest.

Hope that helps

Reactions: 1 person

ryujose

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The standard naming currently used by the extraction tools are

Resident Evil [GBIE08] --- Disc 1
Resident Evil [GBIE082] --- Disc 2

Loaders then add Disc 2 to the end of multidisc games to distinguish first or second disc like this when browsing games.

Resident Evil
Resident Evil - Disc 2

Convention used by the old Discex was,disc 1 GBIE08 and disc 2 GBIE082 not sure with GCReEx, now loaders can read from several naming conversions then write the necessary info to memory/file for DML to use, so the old ID6+2 isnt a must when creating folder structures, you can now use "Title [ID6+2]" or many other formats just like Wii games then the loader takes care of the rest.

Do you know if there is a way for USB Loader GX to display Disc 1 and Disc 2 separately?

I got both [GBIE08] and [GBEI082] folders from DiskEx, but when I load up USB Loader GX, it displays both as Resident Evil Disc 2. I removed Disc 2 or [GBEI082] from HDD, USB Loader GX properly displayed Disc 1 only. I then put [GBEI082] back on the HDD and [GBEI08] it displayed both as Disc 1. I got the rest of my games playing off HDD+USB loader GX+dios mios.

How can i get it to read them both as Disc 1 and Disc 2 simultaneously?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The current problem is that the loader select the first encountered GameID path in a list of all gameID was used.
I started to add that naming convention and properly recognize disc number and duplicated discs.
It was a lot of changes and I didn't complete the work (no released version).

In the meantime Crediar released DIOS MIOS (Lite) with multiDisc support.
DM requires that both disc ISO are located in the same folder (game.iso and disc2.iso)

As this format is also compatible with devolution, I reverted the changes I started to support the [GameID6] + [GameID7], and released a build which supports both iso in the same folder.
For consistency, they NEED to be named "game.iso" and "disc2.iso". if you already have the ISO you can move/rename them manually.
If you don't have them, you can use revision r1207 to dump the disc1 and disc2 automatically in the correct folder/name.

I will probably work again later on adding back the GameID7 format, but will work only with Devolution.
It's currently not the priority anymore. The choosen format finally depends on what other loaders requires.

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if we already have a naming standard for multi disc games, or hopefully come up with one.

What I mean is, the label added to the display and folder names for the 2nd or 3rd disc etc.

For example, the folder names would look like this..

Resident Evil [GBIE08]
Resident Evil [GBIE08] (Disc 2)

And the title displayed like this..

Resident Evil
Resident Evil Disc 2

I'm happy to go along with whatever has already been implemented in the loaders, or if we can use what I suggested above, it makes no difference. The main thing is that we really need a standard naming convention so that we know what to look for when deleting existing folders when ripping or copying new games to drives. Otherwise, there'll be stray copies of game discs left on the drive that the user will have to delete manually.

It's much quicker to look for a bunch of known file/folder names than to check for duplicates by reading the header of every single game on the drive, which is the only other alternative I can think of.
Hi. It's nice to see that you might be back in the fray.
For the GCN side of things, crediar unified his two ISO management tools into one called "DMToolbox v0.3". This allows you to convert ISO's to both, the DiscEx and GCReEx formats. The tool only works in Windows Vista and Windows 7, though (although it is 32 bit). This is a good time to add support for GCN games to WBM, as the formats seem to be finalized because they have not changed in months and crediar is taking a break from DM (or perhaps stopped developing it altogether), after adding multi-disc support. The only major feature still missing is audio-streaming support.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
His post was from this summer, I don't know if he is still working on it.
Though, based on the information he got, he made GameCube ISO Tool which can be used to replace partially DMtoolBox for Windows XP.

What it would be a nice addition is the option to rename correctly both ISO and place them in the same folder.

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
His post was from this summer, I don't know if he is still working on it.
Though, based on the information he got, he made GameCube ISO Tool which can be used to replace partially DMtoolBox for Windows XP.

What it would be a nice addition is the option to rename correctly both ISO and place them in the same folder.
Doh! I did not read the post date.
Yeah, WBM looks pretty dead right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1