N64 Questions!

BeniBel

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Just got a N64 for $1.

1. Is it normal if it shows no signal without a game inside.

2. What is supposed to be in the "memory expansion" slot? I see a black cart thing. How do I pull it out?

3. Should I get an Everdrive 64 V2? And where can I get one cheap?

Most of this is allready answered, but i'll give some extra information

1. On all of the N64 I had, they didn't show anything without a game inside. So this should be normal. Some models may show a memorycard manager when booting with no cart, but I never came across one, so can't say. You can also bring up the memory card manager by holding the start button when booting a game (Not all games have this option)

2. The black thing is the jumper pack, and can be replaced by an 'expansion pack'. Allways use an official one, since third party's can really mess things up. You need the expansion pack to play certain games (Donkey Kong 64, Majoras Mask, ...) or to enhance the game (Turok 2, Perfect Dark, ...)

3. I bought an Everdrive 64 V2 a couple of weeks ago, for around 115€. You should look at the website, it has a list with every website that sells them. Just be aware that in order to save your progress, you need to press the reset button after playing! Also, I never was able to get mine to save on the latest update, so I had to use the version before that.

Hope that helps you!

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
5iGQC11.png

:glare:

wow seems like someone spent way too much time on 4chan or reddit. useless reply.

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had an N64 since launch and have never seen such a screen on turning on the system without a cart. A quick googling says to get the screen you need to hold down start when you turn the system on WITH a cartridge (has to be one that supports saving to the memory card) in the system. Never seen that either, but most of the games I have just save in the cart.

But in any case, completely normal for no signal when turned on with no cart, in my experience.

If you take the jumper pak out the N64 will not run until you put it back in or put in the memory expansion pak. Don't throw out the jumper, there's at least one game that doesn't work right with the expansion.

Yeah this sounds right. I haven't used mine in a long time but holding down start to access the saves sounds like probably what I was doing.

Anywho. I own four flash carts for this system and although it doesn't get much use these days, you'll have a lot of fun with it after you get your flash cart and games going. There's a few sleeper hits on this system that people barely ever mention. I can't recall the names of things I was finding but they are there. There's a really cool helicopter shooter game on this and some other stuff like Llamatron (Berzerk) and a few obscure hombrewn. Actually I have some homebrew that are pretty cool but the author told me not to give out :/ However he didn't send me his racing game. There's nobody to send this stuff to any more anyways since good tools no longer gets updates.

I should clear up some room for my CRT some time and hook this back up so I can offer more help.

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
wow seems like someone spent way too much time on 4chan or reddit. useless reply.

I was pointing out something that was blatantly obvious in a non serious way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Manual charging