N64 Questions!

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Xexyz, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Xexyz
    OP

Xexyz GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    Just got a N64 for $1.

1. Is it normal if it shows no signal without a game inside.

2. What is supposed to be in the "memory expansion" slot? I see a black cart thing. How do I pull it out?

3. Should I get an Everdrive 64 V2? And where can I get one cheap?

2. Amber Lamps

Amber Lamps Banned

Banned
    Feb 24, 2010
    United States
    Oakland, CA
    1) No. It has a very simple GUI for administrating save games that runs when you have no cart inserted.

2) You can take the black thing out and it is just a piece of plastic. What is suppose to go there is an RDRAM module which increases the system memory so that you can play a few titles with increased graphics resolution

3) Best flash cart on that is 64Drive, secondly Everdrive64 V2 so I would say yes. Where can you get one cheap? Look up krikzz site on the web and just buy from there, cheapest price. Otherwise get one from stonagegamer it might cost the same.

Btw junk the nonworking N64 and buy another one from the bay. It should set you back a cool 15 bucks w/ controller I would imagine. Still cheap.

I did all of the N64 flash cart reviews on this web site before the admins flew off on a tangent and decided to threaten to ban me for defending myself against a vile little creature from the UK that was outwardly cussing me out and being disrespectful for no reason and I will tell you that the everdrive64 is cheaper than the 64drive I reviewed and that they both will play 99.9% of all of the games. I just liked the 64drive better because its gui isn't clunky/ugly looking and it came packaged better than the everdrive64. Plus it was made in the USA and the guy who made it knew a lot about N64 hardware and programming.

The other flash cart I reviewed what was it called... the n64 neoflash myth cart... I like it but it is altogether clunky and feels / looks cheap. I have two of those. I don't recommend it because once in a while it flakes out. I didn't include that in the review though. 99/100 times it works so it could have been a fluke. It is overpriced and a lot of lamers on gbatemp hate that company anyway (I don't, they are cool)

3. Xexyz
    OP

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    For#1 i just get no signal. :(

4. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    One dollar?! Where do you do your shopping; K-Mart?!?

Well, first point: it shouldn't show a signal if a cartridge isn't in there. The GameBoy doesn't show a signal without a game inside; it doesn't show one with a game inside. (They both use cartridges for game storage) The memory expansion slot would hold something similar to the GameCube's card, I'd imagine. Maybe you could try wiggling the cart to see if it'd come out? Or there's always a screwdriver: older consoles are easier to take apart. I don't know about the third point, though.

5. Amber Lamps

Amber Lamps Banned

Banned
    Feb 24, 2010
    United States
    Oakland, CA
    btw nothing beats a snes with sd2snes inserted. N64 isn't anywhere near as good as a snes. I would have reviewed one of those on here but the admins proved themselves so I just bought it instead and couldn't be happier. sd2snes is awesome. N64 lacks quality titles.

6. Xexyz
    OP

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    I got it off a kid who didn't know how much it was worth. I have no games though.

7. pyromaniac123

pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Sep 24, 2011
    It's not just a "piece of plastic". It's a jumper pak.

8. Amber Lamps

Amber Lamps Banned

Banned
    Feb 24, 2010
    United States
    Oakland, CA
    I dunno man the only way I can be mistaken is if you possibly need a save pak inserted into the controller. I don't have one hooked up atm to try out.

You know what is cool though is playing super mario kart on an xbox360 jtag. unfortunately you have to boot off of sd to do it because the bonehead that did the emulator made it that way. lame.

9. Xexyz
    OP

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    Where can I get a SNES for $1? :rolleyes:

10. Amber Lamps

Amber Lamps Banned

Banned
    Feb 24, 2010
    United States
    Oakland, CA
    quite possibly. neither of mine came with one. both of my consoles had the OE ram upgrade inserted when I purchased them.

If you lived near me I could give you one but some of the pins on that one are busted :/ I do own a brand new spare PAL/E board though I pulled out of a new system and replaced it with my original board out of my US deck (just so I could have a SNES that looks like a SNES not a giant rectangle that they fed to us in the USA..ugly thing that it is)

actually on that i bet i could move the pin header from the pal board to the usa one not sure why I didn't think of that before.

11. pyromaniac123

Sep 24, 2011
    You don't need a save pak in the controller.

Yes how dare something you get for free not be up to your exacting standards. Death to the creator I say.

:rolleyes:

12. Xexyz
    OP

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
    The "jumper pak" is really hard to pull out. Is there a method?

13. Amber Lamps

Amber Lamps Banned

Banned
    Feb 24, 2010
    United States
    Oakland, CA
    supposedly the system or the expansion pak came with a tool which was basically just a small plastic wedge to pop it out. I probably just use a screwdriver I dunno. When I got my first N64 it looked like someone poured jerry curl juice in there so I wanted to clean it out. But it actually was only on the top and didn't get on the circuits at all so that was ok.

14. pyromaniac123

Sep 24, 2011
  15. Xexyz
    OP

Jul 29, 2013
    United States
    沖縄県
  16. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    :unsure: Hmmm: you could look on eBay (there are still some sellers who aren't extortioners) And this kid is hooked into popular culture: imagine selling something like this for a dollar. I mean, I saw a Playstation for $20 ( I didn't have the money for it though :( ) And a N64 is way more valuable than that.

17. Amber Lamps

Amber Lamps Banned

Banned
    Feb 24, 2010
    United States
    Oakland, CA
    An N64 is worth way more than a PSOne? Hmm could be. But way more sounds like a lot. The most a grey n64 is worth is 20 used and a psone is probably worth about 8 and 20 max so they are relatively the same in value. psone has better games though.

18. pyromaniac123

Sep 24, 2011
    [​IMG]

:glare:

Xexyz likes this.
  19. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    I've had an N64 since launch and have never seen such a screen on turning on the system without a cart. A quick googling says to get the screen you need to hold down start when you turn the system on WITH a cartridge (has to be one that supports saving to the memory card) in the system. Never seen that either, but most of the games I have just save in the cart.

But in any case, completely normal for no signal when turned on with no cart, in my experience.

If you take the jumper pak out the N64 will not run until you put it back in or put in the memory expansion pak. Don't throw out the jumper, there's at least one game that doesn't work right with the expansion.

Sicklyboy likes this.
  20. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    If that jumper pak slot (or that piece of plastic as you like to call it) had the cover on top, you could just use the corner of that.

Honestly, the only reason to get an expansion pak is to play Donkey Kong 64 or Perfect Dark.