N64 flashcart?

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by jaywilson, Sep 25, 2008.

1. jaywilson
    OP

jaywilson GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2008
    Western Australia
    i can imagine it would be possible?
    but is there any?

2. roguetrip

roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2007
    United States
    nope, hear there was a team working on it over a year ago, but nothing else has surfaced

3. JPdensetsu

JPdensetsu GBAtemp Addict

Feb 2, 2008
    Taiwan
    Taipei
  4. 9volt Kappa

9volt Kappa Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 5, 2008
    Canada
  5. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Right behind you
    There was never a flashcart for the N64 , but there was a few "backup units" like the cd64 that allowed you to play n64 roms off of a cd-r. They were expensive back then ($200) and are very hard to find now unless somebody happens to be selling one.

http://n64.icequake.net/ has lots of information about them.

It would be great if they made a modern ds like flashcart that took memory cards, but this is never going to happen because there isn't that much demand compared to the modern consoles.

edit: yeah, I know neoflash announced they were making one, but that was a lame hoax.

6. jaywilson
    OP

jaywilson GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2008
    Western Australia
  7. TrolleyDave

TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

Former Staff
    Jan 1, 2007
    Wales, UK
    There won't ever be a N64 flashcart. Neoflash started on one but gave up after giving out a load of crap about getting it working. It's possible but it would be like the way it was for the DS and the Magicoms in the beginning. You'll still need an original cart with the same save type and because of the N64s boot IC you'll need an original cart with the same boot IC as the game you'd be trying to play. I think you need a total of around 6 or 8 different original carts in your collection and some of them are rare these days.

Neoflash kept promising that you wouldn't need an original cart to go with it for either saves or boot and to be honest with you I think that's why Dr Neo (or whatever he's called) gave up in the end. He couldn't actually deliver on the no partner cart promise. He should still release it in a partner cart format as I'm pretty sure it would still sell amazingly. A N64 flashcart would be very nice.

8. roguetrip

roguetrip GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2007
    United States
    we need flashcarts for all the cartridge based systems!!! Come one, someone make these bad boys!!

9. tKo HaXoR

tKo HaXoR GBAtemp Fan

Aug 16, 2008
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Hm.. if there was one, i would purchase it as quickly as possible!! My N64 hasn't been out of its box for almost 2 years.

10. Lazycus

Lazycus Rotten

Jul 22, 2006
    United States
    Both Z64s and V64s have BIOSes for them that allow IDE drives in place of their ZIP and CD Drives. People have used CompactFlash / IDE adapters on the Z64. Does this count? It's probably as close as you'll get to a true N64 flash drive.

11. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Right behind you
    I was under the impression that the universal boot loader made it so that you can only needed one cart for an IC, and then it handled the rest... granted, never having a backup loader, I'm only going on my understanding of what I've read. The save issues would still be needed to be worked around, but presumably onboard memory could take care of it, patching, etc.

The point still is of course, that it's never going to happen regardless.

12. UltraMagnus

UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

Aug 2, 2007
    Portsmouth
    the problem with these things is demand... it takes a lot of development to get a flash cart as polished as the R4 et al

I would imagine some of the chips used in the N64 cartridge could be EOLed by now too. which would increase costs.

13. paul3100

paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 15, 2007
    scotland
    But yes i would love to see flash carts come out for all the popular consoles such as the sms/genesis/64 and so on, though there is a way to make them for the sms & genesis and there is instructions online.

paul

14. jaywilson
    OP

jaywilson GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2008
    Western Australia
    what are z65 and v64?

15. mrgone

mrgone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    Gambia, The
    these are devices which plug into a N64 and have integrated RAM, so they need a power supply

the z64 had a ZIP drive, the cd64 and the doctor64 had cd-drives

16. Warm Woolly Shee

Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2006
    United States
    Butt City, FA rt
    I loved my z64. My friends would come over and drool, then we'd play Mario Party or Mario Kart, 6+ months before it was released in the USA [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's still in my basement, are they worth anything these days?

17. Bitbyte

Bitbyte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 20, 2003
    Belgium
    ._________.
    Yeah, over 150 euro. So, well over 200 bucks. I traded an iPod nano for my N64 with about 60 games on like 14 or so ZiP drives and a Z64. I've yet to really play it though >_>.

18. TrolleyDave

TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

Former Staff
    Jan 1, 2007
    Wales, UK
    Sorry, completely forgot to reply. The boot emulator works but not on all carts. If I remember right some of them used encrypted boot chips (DK64, Perfect Dark and some others I think) and the encryption was never broken properly. There's cracked versions of the games but it's hard to find anything except clean dumps these days. I could be remembering completely wrong, I'll have to try and dig up some info.

19. Foppzter

Foppzter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 26, 2003
    I still have my CD64+ somewhere. I think it had more RAM than the original CD64 system.

20. Lazycus

Lazycus Rotten

Jul 22, 2006
    United States
    dextrose.com the mother lives on! [​IMG]