n3ds xl touch screen problem

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Cachuchin1, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Cachuchin1
    OP

Cachuchin1 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    So I had to change my upper screen of my n3ds xl ... so everything went well and now it is working .... the problem is i do not remeber if the touch was working on not .... apparently it is not rigth now ... I can't pass the language selection screen :( when i try the calibration mode it does not work either :( is there a solution for this ? or just replacement? if replacement is the only solution can someone provide any provider. ... I'll look for something in amazon or ebay, but not quite sure if the problem is only the digitizer or the hole thing I don't think is the whole screen because i see image so I'm assuming its only the digitizer... is it har to replace ???? sorry for all these questions ... thanks

2. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Just double check you have reinserted all the ribbon cables on the motherboard, the digitizer one is the little greyish one right next to the IR receiver

If the digitizer really is damaged/broken, you can replace just the digitizer, it's not really a hard job, swapping the upper screen is much harder, so if you did that ok you should be fine

3. Cachuchin1
    OP

Cachuchin1 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    oh ok then probably my problem is there ... this little thing that holds the cable broke so i managed to insert this greyish ribbon on its place but this might be the issue ... any suggestion?
    thanks for answering ....

4. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Short of replacing the connector, you could probably get away with just putting something on top of it to press down against the connector

5. Cachuchin1
    OP

Cachuchin1 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    ok thanks ! I'll try it and post an update.

6. Cachuchin1
    OP

Cachuchin1 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    so practically tried everything .... I still have this part that came out and was using it to press the cable against the connector... but still can't make the digitizer work :(

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Have the pins been snapped off, or bent at all? A picture may help see exactly what's going on, if all else fails you can replace the connector but it's fairly small s points so it would be better in the hands of someone with a fair bit of soldering experience

But first things first, pictures ^_^

8. Cachuchin1
    OP

Cachuchin1 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    here you have different pics .... I don't know anyone able to that type of soldering. ... I know how to solder but never worked in one of these or anything as small of this so might not be an option for me ....... hope pics can help ... maybe next thing to try is another digitizer ? ( there are some cheap ones in ebay) .... last resource might be a new mother board :(

Attached Files:

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    A new digitizer probably won't help, that one looks ok, i suggest you get the cable in place then use something bulky that will be forced down onto the contact when the case is closed, this should give a enough force to hold the digitizer in place

If all else fails there are people who will probably be able to fix the port for you, but let's try botchy methods first XD

10. Cachuchin1
    OP

Cachuchin1 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    ok so i have like this and I'll try to put something in top of it so the case press it

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

do you know someone in the US who might be able to fix it ? ... maybe you know someone on gbatemp.... I still need to try with the bulky stuff

Attached Files:

11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    @vb_encryption_vb or @mchew are both reputable for hardmods (both are US based), so they would be worth asking as one of them will probably be able to fix it if all else fails

Last edited by gamesquest1, Feb 1, 2017
  12. Cachuchin1
    OP

Cachuchin1 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    Thanks I might need to contact them .... I just put something really bulky that i had to use for to have the case closed and still didn't work ... I'll keep trying but I'm loosing hope :(

13. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Ok, don't go too far, it shouldn't need to be absolutely squished, just pressed as hard as the normal clip should have been doing (so not too much force), might be worth reaching out to both of them and seeing what they say

14. Cachuchin1
    OP

Cachuchin1 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2016
    United States
    So probably i don't have to contact anyone lol ... what I this was so difficult but worked.... I have another completely dead motherboard around so checked if i had the same type of connectors and it did (old 3ds xl) ,,, it took me some trials but was able to retrieve one of this holders from it ... placed in my new 3ds xl and now touch screen is working fine .... I really really really appreciate all the support and help Gamequest1 ... I would take a picture but don't want to open the console again lol

15. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    No worries, glad you got it sorted enjoy :)

Cachuchin1 likes this.