n3DS XL Downgrade Question

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by newluigidev, Jan 5, 2017.

1. newluigidev
    OP

newluigidev GBAtemp Regular

Nov 29, 2015
    So I'm about to downgrade my n3DS XL to 2.1.0, but there's something I wanna make sure is still there once it's done. Will the microSD FTP server option still be available once I've downgraded? I don't have a screwdriver atm to access the microSD so I've been using the FTP server, but 2.1.0 is only meant for o3DS so I thought it could remove the option.

2. pietempgba

pietempgba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 9, 2016
    United States
    you can't use microSD card management on 2.1.0

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

you can do it once you install a9lh and luma

3. HyperT

HyperT GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 4, 2016
    No don't believe you'll have access to a FTP while on 2.1 - you shpuld ve able to gave the sdcard setup correctly while on 11.x and be back up to 11.x fairly quickly

4. newluigidev
    OP

Nov 29, 2015
    Well, I haven't downgraded yet, so yeah. I'd better go looking for a screwdriver then :P

Last edited by newluigidev, Jan 5, 2017
  5. HyperT

Jun 4, 2016
    It should be straight forward to setup the sdcard over ftp on 11.x - let me just chek the guide; but should be just Soundhax==>HBL==>safehax==>loads decrypt9. Test that if you want to check it loads [don't dgrade yet]. Then it's ctrnand-trans to 2.1 [back up 11.x sysnand] ==> browser to load arm9. Boot into hourglass9 ==> restore 11.x

Just make yourself a checklist that you have those all on you sdcard

6. newluigidev
    OP

Nov 29, 2015
    Alright thankyou!!

The guide says I need to clear the Home Menu's extdata. Can I do that before the downgrade?

7. HyperT

Jun 4, 2016
    I believe thats an issue only if you've used menuhax but yea deleting that via ftp shouldn't be an issue afaik

8. newluigidev
    OP

Nov 29, 2015
    Ok, the guide says I've gotta do it again while installing things like FBI and stuff

Actually, could I technically downgrade 11.2 to 9.2 without doing any a9lh? I already have an o3DSxl w/ a9lh, and I just want this n3DSxl to be able to record w/ NTR. So could I just downgrade to 9.2.0 and install Luma3DS and stuff?

9. munchy_cool

munchy_cool GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    nopes, you need to go to 2.1..the latest hax removed the need to downgrade to 9.2 .

10. newluigidev
    OP

Nov 29, 2015
    Okay, then can I just use Luma3DS on 11.2?

11. munchy_cool

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    you go to 2.1, do the sysnand backup and all..and then once a9lh is installed restore sysnand ...

please follow 3ds.guide.

12. newluigidev
    OP

Nov 29, 2015
    Okay, there's just some steps I'm unsure about, like how I need to delete Home Menu extdata, but I don't have access to my SD while in 2.1.0 because I use the FTP server in Sys Settings. Can I just skip deleting it?

13. Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae [ˈzifɨˌdeɪ]

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    Don't skip doing anything. Turn your 3DS off, take the microSD out, put it in your computer, and delete it there. I really, really, don't recommend using any wireless file transferring during this process, especially when dealing with large, important files such as ctrtransfer images and NAND backups.

Last edited by Xiphiidae, Jan 6, 2017
  14. HyperT

Jun 4, 2016
    I think your fine doing it once, if need be you could clear it again via godmode9 iirc.

Anyway - if you'd humour me you should be able to get to an emunand setup with downgrading.
    via the guide.
    1. Add the files for soundhax [or whatever to get to hbl]
    2. On this page https://3ds.guide/decrypt9-(homebrew-launcher) use emunand9 instead of decrypt9 - create an emunand [prob. need to backup sdcard first]
    3. https://3ds.guide/decrypt9-(homebrew-launcher) page again but this time luma3ds instead of decrypt9.

This leaves your sysnand on 11.x but you'll need to run #3 everytime to boot

Last edited by HyperT, Jan 6, 2017
  15. munchy_cool

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    remove sd card from console, and use a PC/Mac to remove the folder..and no you cannot skip it..

16. newluigidev
    OP

Nov 29, 2015
    Well, that's the issue. I don't have a screwdriver to ACCESS the microSD. That's why I initially asked if 2.1 would remove the FTP server option.

17. Xiphiidae

Xiphiidae [ˈzifɨˌdeɪ]

Sep 13, 2009
    Australia
    Then get one.

18. munchy_cool

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    well then you need to get one ..try using a knife (just be careful)

19. newluigidev
    OP

Nov 29, 2015
    Could I just put all of the needed files onto the SD while on 11.2, then delete the home menu extdata w/ godmode9 while in 2.1?

20. munchy_cool

Dec 15, 2016
    United States
    try and let us know because you dont want to do it the proven way ...