N3DS save data backup?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Pokepicker, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Pokepicker
    OP

Pokepicker GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2015
    Norway
    Hi

I just got of the phone with Nintendo. I have a customer who's N3DS XL seems to overheat and freeze while playing "heavy" games. Like Hyrule Warrios Legends.

I checked the console, its updated to the latest firmware version. I did a visual check of the battery, and it seems to be ok. I know some batteries could "puff up".

The strange thing is. I asked the Nintendo Rep if I should Format System Memory before shipping it in to them. They would not recommend me doing so, as the customer would loose all of her progress.
    I mentioned using the built in Save Data Backup feature. He claimed the saves would not be accessible after doing a Format System Memory. Now, I asked him "Why do you have such a feature, if it doesn't work?"
    He giggled, and went on to state that it had something to do with security and fear of piracy.

So now I really dont know what to do. Can someone confirm that it is safe to use the tool found here: Settings -> Data Management -> Nintendo 3DS -> Save Data Backup, to backup the saves. I would copy the .sav files to a PC (so they don't get deleted somehow), then move them back to the 3DS. The menu has a "Restore" button, as well as Backup and Delete.

I must say, I don't know if the rep knew what he was talking about or not. Thats why I come here.

Now it seems as tho I will have to be playing Hyrule Warriors Legends all night, hoping for a console freeze so I can record it and send to Nintendo.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice