N3DS gateway installing, someone confirm steps?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by kamekaz3, Dec 3, 2015.

1. kamekaz3
    OP

kamekaz3 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2007
    United States
    Upgrading from my O3DS with gateway to my N3DS :

Heres what I think I'm going to do - Clean New in box 9.0-9.2 N3DS EU

Install PastaCFW VIA browserhax

Use FBI to install a CIA Launcher

Use Pasta - FBI -> switch destination to NAND to install MSET_EU.cia (a little lost after this)

Start FBI, press select -> Choose "Encrypted GatewayN3DS" to MSET rop (Not sure what Encrypted GatewayN3DS 9.X is. Is it a file I need?)

Launch gateway menu from DS Profile, just like O3DS - Format Emunand

Is this correct? I also read you if you format emunand after downgrading MSET I need to update/restore mset first to re-activate nintendo account.
    I'm not sure what this mean or how to do it either?
    At which part should I unlink sysnand and emunand?
    Can anyone confirm these steps please?
    Thanks.

2. romanaOne

romanaOne GBAtemp Regular

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    where the potential goes to zero
    Why don't you just follow the steps in Gateway's manual?
    I have 9.0U. Just use the stuff provided by Gateway and a boot cart (CN or OOT)

I didn't do anything with Pasta or FBI.
    I used cubic ninja as boot cart; I tried 10 times, but OOThax would not work for me.
    Installed emunand, installed devmenu to sysnand, downgraded mset, installed profile exploit to nvram.

Can't help with eshop/Nintendo ID stuff as I do not use it. Like other (cr)App stores, I find it a creepy, oppressive rip-off. Media is a good thing; never trade resale value and privacy for convenience.

Last edited by romanaOne, Dec 3, 2015
  3. Tony_93

Tony_93 GBAtemp Addict

Jun 13, 2015
    United States
    California
    @romanaOne Perhaps he doesn't own CN or OOT? You give for granted he owns it, as if everyone did.

@kamekaz3 You can also install a Cubic Ninja cia in sysnand using PastaCFW and use this to enter the Gateway menu, make a backup from here, after making a backup and transfering it to your PC you should start installing other stuff, like a downgraded mset into the NAND and such.

You don't want to brick your system and not have a backup on hand.

4. romanaOne

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    I take for granted only that you only need it for installation purposes and that it is not THAT hard to borrow from someone. Or flash the rather small rom onto your sky3ds. (Unlike CN/OOT, you might actually find a use for that expensive cart when you're done installing.)

The world of CFW is really, really confusing version hell on the n3ds. Gateway presents a simple, relatively (compared to the ever-shifting forum outdated documentation mess) straightforward set of instructions.

5. kamekaz3
    OP

kamekaz3 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 26, 2007
    United States
    Definitely making a backup, thanks for the tips @Tony_93
    I have a gateway cart, not using sky3ds.

I only have OOT for NTSC, the N3DS I'm getting is PAL.

I still don't get the MSET Rop part, if the "choose encrpted N3DS 9.X" is a file or just an option in the menu. ( I don't have the N3DS at hand atm, prepping for it though. )

Still confused about if formating emunand after downgrading MSET, I need to update/restore mset first to re-activate nintendo account. I don't ever plan to use eshop but I still probably need it playing online?
    Not sure what it means to update/restore mset first.

I guess I unlink sysnand and emunand right after I install emunand and back up sysnand?

Thanks for replies.

6. romanaOne

Apr 18, 2014
    United States
    I am not expert on this, but I think installing MSET_EU.cia (or MSET_US) downgrades the profile/settings application on SYSNAND so that it can launch the code stored in the DS NVRAM when you tap "Ninitendo DS Profile." (This code got into the NVRAM either by "Install to NVRAM" in the Gateway menu or using one of the GW_installer.nds files on the blue card. It will be wiped out if you play a DS game.) This is how you will launch emunand (GW or CFW) without CN/OOT after you are done setting up.

The last step in my installing my emunand was the unlink ("system format" w/o ANY cards inserted). I think this just wipes profile info, it did not uninstall MSET_EU or devmenu cias but I did have to go to the Gateway Menu (by means of ninjhax) to "Install to NVRAM" again.
    You want to do this because you'll have to unwrap all your cias every time you reboot if sys- and emunand are linked. (Not that you'll be rebooting often once things are set up. )

I did a little too much prepping before my N3DS arrived. Things became a lot clearer when the thing was in my hand. I also got a used sky3ds blue b/c I wanted CN for ninjhax. CN is still crazy expensive shovelware but sk3ds blue prices are falling. It's handy to have around for when some new exploit is discovered in an absolutely terrible old game, LOL.

Last edited by romanaOne, Dec 4, 2015