Hacking N-Card Save Games Deleted

numbersix_99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi

I just got an N-Card from Dealextreme.com (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2069)

The card seemed to work perfectly. It played all games. Some would only work if I selected the right type of save format. I've read though some of the threads here and nothing seems to exactly match my problem.

Games initially saved fine. I could save, then return to it later and load. But only for a short period of time. Then it just resets and there is no saved file. I've tried turning off, going to USB mode, saving the .SAV file and returning

I have tried updating firmware to 1.45/2.54 (didn't work by holding up, L, R, then A and B, as I got a USB Block sign- instead I formatted the disk and just transferred the new xmenu file). I have run a battery test which passed. I have run a save memory test which also passed.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be soft resetting after saving? Is it the ROMs I use? Or is it just a bad card?

I would be so grateful if anyone can help.

Cheers!

leinad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
After playing ,restart your DS until the Menu. Then turn off. Now the savefile is copied to the memory. [ The save file is kept in SRAM until you come into the Menu again...]
so yeah, seems to be a damaged sram / faulty batery

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks like your save battery is dead. You can work around this by soft-resetting to the menu when you're done playing, wait until it finishes writing the save, and then turning the DS off.

numbersix_99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the messages, guys.

However, I can't seem to soft reset to the menu. When I press l and r and hold start and select, the game just resets. If I power off and on again after a while the save games just erase themselves.

Bloody N-Cards!

The_FF_Fan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have an F-Card and I assume that they're somewhat alike.

Could it be that you're using the Flash 4mbit savetype?
It tends to erase save data.

Also, to reset to the menu, it should be Start+Select+A+B+X+Y.

numbersix_99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The_FF_Fan said:
Could it be that you're using the Flash 4mbit savetype?
It tends to erase save data.

Also, to reset to the menu, it should be Start+Select+A+B+X+Y.

Hi FF Fan,

Yeah, I use Flash 4mB for Elite Beat Agents, but usually EEPROM 64/512 for most, but that gets erased too. Could the 4mb flash just delete all other save games?

Either way, I've decided to send back the n-card and order a Acekard 2 and Kingston 2 GB MicroSD card. I've lost faith in the N-Card. Am I making the right choice?

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the N-Card is junk these days. Send it back.

Also, to soft reset, set the save type to auto, and press LRABXY at the same time. 4mb Flash saves will only delete themselves, not other saves.

numbersix_99

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
FireEmblemGuy said:
Yes, the N-Card is junk these days. Send it back.

Also, to soft reset, set the save type to auto, and press LRABXY at the same time. 4mb Flash saves will only delete themselves, not other saves.

Thanks for the info, FireEmblemGuy. Yeah, I wasn't happy with my order (The fact that the provided USB didn't work didn't exactly fill me with confidence)- and if 4mb flash files erase data then its hardly worth keeping it anyway. I now hope that Deal Extremem don't give me cheap AceKard 2 or Kingston MicroSD card knockoffs.

Deos13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dunno how much help I would be..But here goes.

I've had the N-card going on 2years now.Only prob I have ever had with it is savefile type.never once did it delete my data.I was told by a friend,that if you set up folders for each game,it wont delete saves.Now I know I can't say for certain that's the reason why my saves dont get deleted.But just giving my thoughts.

Point:Try making separate folders for each game.On my F-card it saves directly to each specific game folder

Rankio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only save I ever lost was Zelda and that was before the N-Card update that added the right save type.

When a problem happens just delete the LASTSAVE file in the system folder.

Deos13

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah,pretty much the same thing for me.Was one of the 1st games I d/l an couldn't figure out why it was "corrupted"Then I found out about save type,an all was well.

viksmart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys Sorry to bump but I have the same problem with the 4mbit save types for the ncard.
Specific game R&m:Disgaea DS

From reading I got this info:

"Could it be that you're using the Flash 4mbit savetype?
It tends to erase save data."

I believe this^ explains it but not why(maybe faulty support for the savetype?)

and maybe this is the solution

"Try making separate folders for each game.On my F-card it saves directly to each specific game folder"

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXonce I try it out I'll report back so the info can be placed into the FAQ thnxXXXXXXXX

*EDIT* the above mention solution does not work

(I made the post this way so others could get a clue quickly of the cause)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://youtu.be/heNQ-22Mqnk?si=B4bTa9MKZkRNCkxU