My thought about A9LH after install

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Zech, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Zech
    OP

Zech Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2016
    After 6 hours (yes. Im not kidding) I'm able to install A9LH without any single issue.

I'm writing this just to let everybody know, especially for those who are hesitant or afraid to install A9LH.

I've asked this question to gbatemp members, "is it worth it?" They have their own opinions about it. Some say yes, some say no.

Now that i have installed A9LH, i have a solid answer to that. But Before i answer my own question, i would like to share my experience with you and why i decided to take the risk.

At first, i was 100% satisfied with emunand. I have no problems with it. The setup was perfect. All i have to do is press the left shoulder button so that i can boot to paradise.

But one day, i realised that booting my N3ds is now becoming a chore. Sometimes i spend almost i minute just to boot up to emunand. So i end up with a solution of not shutting down my N3ds. Yes, i was satisfied with my solution though it was impractical.

Then again, i encountered another issue. I discovered that it is possible to run my 6 years old R4 card on my N3ds with the help of patching twl_firm and with Apache's launcher. So where is the problem there? My answer is booting out to DS mode. Of course, you'll be playing the game to boot or not to boot again and again. It became a nightmare.

So that's the time i decided to install A9LH. At first, reading the tutorial was really discouraging for me. It's like going into a big obstacle course. And second is the chance of bricking my system.

So i decided to do a research for days. I watched a tutorial video just to familiarize myself with the process, and to get the idea behind it. I also read Plailitect's tutorial several times.

After i got all the info, i decided to do it. I followed the instructions 1:1. Before i proceed with something, i read the instruction thrice just to make sure im doing the right thing.

So after 6 hours of work, I've succeeded! It took me a long time because of the copy and pasting involved. I only have usb 2.0 which sucks. But still, it gets the job done.

Ok, after going thru the hassle of installing, is it worth it? My answer is DAMN YES! The boot time is fantastic! I also get to have more extra space on my SD card. I also feel like I'm now safer with any future flashing because decrypt9 is now built-in.

I can say that the comparison is like with psp's cfw vs hen. Cfw is like A9LH, and hen is emunand.

My bottom line is that A9LH is a seamless experience. I'm so happy i did it and i think this is going to be the future of N3ds homebrew/hacking.

2. dronesplitter

dronesplitter GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    United States
    Until I'm missing out on more than the boot time, I'm holding off on doing it, but glad it worked, man :toot:

Raylight, lanman14444 and Zech like this.
  3. Zech
    OP

Zech Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2016
    If booting is not an issue for you, then emuNand is all fine. Just like i said, my nightmare starts when I'm booting out of ds mode (i always play ds games). I'm unlucky when trying to boot back to emuNand :/

dronesplitter likes this.
  4. Ryft

Ryft GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    I have a question... how exactly do you get decrypt9 built in? Not sure how to set that up. I assume you use some trigger to load it instead of aureinand.

5. Zech
    OP

Zech Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2016
    Correct me if I'm wrong, arm9loaderhax installs this on the system. And yes, you use the shoulder buttons to load decrypt9.

6. Ryft

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    I assume this isn't if you are using updated sysnand mode with an emunand? Cause shoulder triggers just load emunand for me. I'll have to read up on it, thanks. I will probably just get rid of emunand... kept it just in case.

7. Zech
    OP

Zech Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 11, 2016
    yes. Get rid of emunand as it is not needed. Are you pressing L+R triggers?

8. Gray_Jack

Gray_Jack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Use some A9LH loaders (there's ctrbootmanager9, ctrboot9, arm9select)

9. Ryft

Nov 21, 2013
    United States
    Illinois
    Yeah it just loads Emunand. I'm not at my computer so I'll have to mess with it in a bit.

EDIT: Alright I fixed it. I did the OTP guide before they changed it and it didn't tell you how to integrate Decrypt9 into it. I just followed the steps from the newer guide here:

https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-5-(arm9loaderhax-&-AuReiNAND)

Just the top section, Preparatory work

Last edited by Ryft, Mar 15, 2016