Hacking My System menu 4.0 install guide

tpformbh

Trophies
XP
Country
anonymous_cactus said:
tpformbh said:
that cios 60 makes the exploit still work on 4.0, without it you wouldn't be able to use wad manager.

ok I think I get it now... so provided you had CIOSv7 or v8 installed (which kept the .wad manager working) past 3.2 firmware, you needed to patch 60 to KEEP it working, correct? Otherwise if you just installed via nintendo without the patch it would stop working... it sounds like the patch allowed the sd functionality to work correctly with installed wads and keep the manager working

BUT... if you didn't have CIOSv7/8 installed (as in my case, as I was at 3.2 and thought it didn't apply, which it didn't at the time, but now that i'm at 4.0 everything is screwed up, and running the 60 patch before upgraading wasn't "enough"). The instructions on the page were for 3.3 and 3.4, and it involved going back to 3.2 which I already had... i already had the homebrew... and didnt have any issues or problems with my wiikey... but made the mistake of not installing CIOSv7/8 and fully understanding everything

Now, because I have 60 patched and 4.0u w/o ciosv7/8... it has come to the conclusion that I (and a few others here) are totally screwed when it comes to installing new WADS... but at the same time, Kong has said if you had 60 completed correctly, there is still "hope" so to speak. But my question is, do I fall in the category of the "hope"... lol I don't know what that patching procedure was called... I still have nintendo IOS 60, but just had it patched to keep SD functionality and WAD manager working... that's all it was, correct? But since I skipped firmwares 3.3 and 3.4 and never did the CIOS... it sounds like i'm screwed. no matter what.. EVEN THOUGH i patched 60. But Kongs comment about cios60 leaves me a little confused

now i'm confusing myself :-P

I can't answer your questions sorry, i've only limited knowledge of it myself. Most people on here are using softloaders and teh like, i've got a chipped wii so most of the other stuff is meaningless to me.

As far as i understand, cIOS 8, CIOS36, or CIOS249 are all the same thing. What cIOS does, i have no idea.

Maddy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I just did try to instal the 4.0E update after i discovered that i allready did install rev7 cios.
The history of my Wii:
When buying it had a 3.3E firmware. I softmodded this version.
I updated it a month ago to 3.4E, just to discover what will change.
Today i updated it to 4.0E again to discover what will change on my Wii.

I was totaly supriced that everything is still working.
I rebooted the Wii several times, but still everything is working.

On softmod i used the TW to install homebrew channel, followed by cios-fix, Ios downgrader V1.1, dvdxinstaller (ios249), Cios installer V7, and the Wii Backup Loader channel Gamma0.3. This was on firmware 3.3E.

So now after 2 updates everything is still working normaly, even wad manager is working oke.
I got into Wii shop channel in 4.0E with no problem, and came out with still everything working.

What is diff. on my Wii i.o. all others, or will the effect of the update come later????

Connect24 is running always, even now.

So if anyone can tell me why my Wii is not changed, not that i wanted it to change.... :-)

This is just to let you all now, that i did not got affected by the update, at least until now.

regards,

Maddy

anino

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AdamBrunt said:
Ok, when I thought I had done this correctly yesterday it seems I was mistaken.

I followed method 2. First time it did error but I didn't notice and just press a button to quit. 2nd time I made a not of the error; "ret = -1" when downloading the SystemUpdate 4.0 - which I believe was to do with not having enough blocks free on my wii.

I got rid of some stuff and now have 321 blocks free and ran the waninko installer again. It got a lot further, took a lot longer, got to "installing shopping channel" but gave a different error "ret = -1010".

How do I fix that ?

you need at least 500 block...

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
lol just read from page 26 (my last post) to here and am so confused
tongue.gif
although not about the same thing i was...

my original question was just about installing the updated shop channel for a PAL wii using one of the guides but only installing the shop channel instead of IOS 60/61. it turned out that that wouldnt have been plausible because its for the US shop channel and would have screwed me lol.

now i'm wondering, would it be possible for me to update to 4.0E, downgrade to 3.2E again and retain all the crap i've got from my current firmware and keep some 4.0 features? i realise that 4.0 removes some stuff but could i re-install cIOSCORP (for disc channel loading), Preloader, etc when i downgrade

the only things i REALLY want are:
.Ability to load backups through disc channel.
.Preloader hacks (because they are easy and simple to use)
.and the shop channel functioning properly on my PAL wii. (lol the only thing i'll gain that i actually want by updating)

the things i'd also like after downgrading again (if possible of course, i dont want to stay on 4.0 without the above features)
.The faster SD loads/ transfers of 4.0.
.the SD menu for VC and such
.loading of 'own' (not downloaded legitimately) VC/ Wiiware titles via SD menu.

My specs are as follows...
.3.2E (downgraded via IOS and cIOS downgrader from 3.3v1)
NO Modchip
cIOS36 rev7 (or 8)
cIOS_fix
cIOSCORP installed
Preloader
Latest HBC installed

I do realise that the last three things i want are new to 4.0 so probably cant be used on 3.2 if i downgraded but yano, theres always those little possibilities in homebrew lol i mean, if i'm gonna update might as well make it worthwhile and get a few things out of it instead of just the shop channel right?

thanks to anyone that can answer this one
smile.gif

EDIT: also, if i only use IOS downgrader when on 4.0 to regain the trucha bug, can i install preloader and cIOSCORP again from there? or is it compulsary to be on 3.x?

thanks again.

AdamBrunt

Trophies
XP
Country
anino said:
AdamBrunt said:
Ok, when I thought I had done this correctly yesterday it seems I was mistaken.

I followed method 2. First time it did error but I didn't notice and just press a button to quit. 2nd time I made a not of the error; "ret = -1" when downloading the SystemUpdate 4.0 - which I believe was to do with not having enough blocks free on my wii.

I got rid of some stuff and now have 321 blocks free and ran the waninko installer again. It got a lot further, took a lot longer, got to "installing shopping channel" but gave a different error "ret = -1010".

How do I fix that ?

you need at least 500 block...

Ah, OK. I'll try again when I get home.

dazzi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Any news on CIOSCORP working on 4.0 as of yet? or any news regarding loading through the disc channel on v4 at all?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
cocomonk22 said:
It looks like Method 1 contains most of the 4.0 features, while Method 2 keeps more of the old features such as Trucha.

Both Methods:

+contains ALL 4.0 features (both download System Menu 4.0 from nintendo servers)
+patch IOS60 to keep trucha bug working in system menu (move hacked channels, use trucha discs,...)

-Twilight Hack & new HBC installation is blocked (need a new hack or System Menu patch ?)
-backups won't be recognized by the disc channel (need CIOSCORP patch / Custom DIP module for IOS60)
-Starfall/Preloader patches are not working anymore (need versions update)

Method 1:

+safer than method 2 since it let the official update process download&update your System Menu&Shop Channel files
+all IOS are updated to the last official versions (could be useful ?)

-all IOS (except IOS60 & cIOS, ) are fixed and cannot use the trucha bug anymore
-IOS16 is updated & fixed (same as above)
-it is not known if CIOSCORP (to add backup support) or IOS Downgrader (to reinject trucha bug) would work on all updated IOS

Method 2:

+keep old IOS unmodified (useful if you already have them all patched with CIOSCORP)
+you can still use the IOS16 trick to install CIOS if you forget to do it

-risky method: system menu is downloaded&installed by waninkoko's application which is not as secure & qualified as official updater
-old IOS are not upgraded (are there any enhancement ? not verified)

that should answer all your questions

dazzi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jacobeian said:
cocomonk22 said:
It looks like Method 1 contains most of the 4.0 features, while Method 2 keeps more of the old features such as Trucha.

both contains ALL 4.0 features since they both download System Menu 4.0 from nintendo servers
that also mean that Twilight Hack & fresh HBC installation is impossible in all cases

Method 1:

PRO:
+safer than method 2 since it let the official update process download&update your System Menu&Shop Channel files
+patch IOS60 to keep trucha bug working in system menu (move hacked channels, use trucha discs,...)
+all IOS are updated to the last official versions (could be useful ?)

CONS:
-all IOS (except IOS60 & cIOS, ) are fixed and cannot use the trucha bug anymore
-IOS16 is updated & fixed (same as above)
-it is not known if CIOSCORP (to add backup support) or IOS Downgrader (to reinject trucha bug) would work on all updated IOS

Method 2:

PRO:
+keep old IOS unmodified (useful if you already have them all patched with CIOSCORP)
+you can still use the IOS16 trick to install CIOS if you forget to do it

CONS:
-risky method: system menu is downloaded&installed by waninkoko's application which is not as secure & qualified as official updater
-old IOS are not upgraded (are there any enhancement ? not verified)

that should answer all your questions
So using method 2 I can still boot backups through Disc channel with CIOSCORP as i did with 3.2?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
no, because to be able to run backups through Disc Channel, you need to add CIOSCORP to the system menu IOS (IOS60)

this has not been done yet afaik

KaizokuDawg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I understand the way this works but I want to ask first before doing anything to make sure.

Right now I have a 3.1U Wii with a WiiKey. I have not had any problems running backups or using HBC and WADmanager 1.3. Since I have the WiiKey I don't need GeckoOS for all my import games and thus the only time I have used HBC has been to run WADmanager to install fixes and whatnot for new games that wouldn't play properly on 3.1U. I want to get the new update for the SDHC support because I don't have any normal SD cards (lots of SDHC Cards tho) and always have to be borrowing friend's cards when I have to do something w/ WADmanager or backup/download game saves and because I want to be able to finally access the shop to get some WiiWare games.

If I update to 4.0 using Method 2 I shouldn't have any problems right? Will trucha signed discs (which iirc is what the WiiKey update, WiiKey Config, and GCOS discs used ... right?) still work fine? I can still use WADmanager to install wads to the Wii like normal?

GamerzInc

Trophies
XP
Country
I think I had just about a fully updated 3.2U with wiikey machine before I updated using waninkoko's 4.0 thing. I haven't had any problems yet. Only thing I am upset about is my photochannel being updated to 1.1, but I never use that anyways. I can install all my wad files to SD and run them from it yay! So assuming this works, I should also be able to use my many versions of Guitar Hero. No problems with any of my homebrew, except for Starfall which I now miss
frown.gif

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i have a small problem. i updated the HBC to the newest version, (was using beta 8) and now i cant install WADS. i am able to install VC/wiiware wads though the Wad manager but not uninstall and install things like USB loader channel.

doesn anyone else have this problem?

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DELTA-

If you can install any wads thre is no problem.

The usb loader wads are named weird.........try uninstalling it first(even tho its not installed) then install again.

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i cant install wads that arn`t vc or uninstall wads that i have already installed. so i cant get rid of my usb loader channel or my gecko os channels.

thing is, i was able to do it with the very first wad manager and beta 8 od hbc.

pika9323

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Page is down since yesterday.
http://www.yafaze.com/wii/menu4.0hack.html

QUOTE said:
You have been shown this page because of an error. Please try again soon, Thanks Yafaze.com

but Yafaze.com works?

Maybe someone has the page downloaded (html)?

If i remember right:
Install cIOS rev9
Edit: I heared cIOS rev8 is more recomment. Rev9 gives IOS downgrader a code dump.

Install IOS60 (if you cant get pass the 15/15 install CIOS60HK??)
Then update normally per Nintendo Update
Then use IOS downgrader to enable Trucha again.
Will IOS downgrade enable Trucha in all IOS?

Is this right? Plz. someone confirm.
I dont want make an error.

For me this looks like the easiest and safest way.

Thanks for help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ +1