My save data is not available after system transfer..

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Awpearce, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Awpearce
    OP

Awpearce Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2017
    United States
    Hello, I recently upgraded my 3ds xl to a new 3ds xl, and was trying to transfer all the data between the two systems. I used the system transfer tool, and moved all the data from the old 3ds to my new one. I then bought a 32 gb microsd card for the new 3ds, and transferred the data using a pc. But when I re-downloaded a game from the e-shop, the save data wasn't there and I had to start a new game like I just bought it. The problem could have been that I transferred data on a 16 gb card to the stock 4 gb card, during the system transfer, but I would think that the system would tell you if there wasn't enough space on the new card. Please tell me if I can get the lost save data back or not.

2. nechigawara

nechigawara Citizen of Gamindustri

Oct 14, 2006
    Thailand
    Planeptune
    Normally, system transfer will ask you to use the same SD card.
    Legimate games won't need to redownload and be able to load the old save.
    Not sure about pirated games though.

3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Did you leave the original data in the old 3DS while the system transfer happened? That is vital, because during this process the data is converted to be able to be read by the new console. If you took the data out before the transfer then it won't have been converted.

In this case, you can still fix it. Restore a NAND backup from before you did the transfer. Then put the data back - all your games and stuff should appear. Backup your save games with JKSM, copy the JKSM folder over to the SD card of the new console, and import the saves.

nechigawara likes this.
  4. Awpearce
    OP

Awpearce Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2017
    United States
    Yes, I left everything where it was during the system transfer, the only thing that I could possibly think of that would delete the saved data would be that I was transferring it from a 16 gb sd card to a 4 gb microsd card, which could have deleted some stuff if it couldn't fit it all in the transfer.

5. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    So if you have a backup of the nand you can inject it back into the old console and it will work. Then you can use JKSM and backup saves individually. This happened to me too. I wound up injecting my emunand back into the SD card and booting up the o3DS and extracting all the saves I wanted.

6. Awpearce
    OP

Awpearce Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2017
    United States
    UPDATE: I deleted and re-downloaded the game, and it came up with a screen that said "the saved data is not compatible with this version" what does this mean, and can I fix it. The screen its one also won't let me do anything with the buttons.

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Download the latest game update.

8. Awpearce
    OP

Awpearce Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2017
    United States
    I already have

9. doughmay

doughmay GBATemp Certified Nothing

Jan 6, 2017
    United States
    The Temp
    Well then try using save data filer, assuming the game uses a secure value on its saves.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk