My parents' new ISP might be a contender for most inept filtering.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been staying with my parents at their new place on and off for the last couple months, helping them rebuild and remodel it. Yesterday we finally got internet set up, and even though it's only a couple houses down the street from the old place, we went with another ISP - our last one refused to answer any customer service emails, never came close to advertised speeds, had some of the shittiest techs and response time, etc.; for a year or so (about two years after we'd signed on) they actually tried to enforce some ridiculous 10GB monthly cap before it cost them most of their customers. If there were cable installed on this road I'd actually have argued for Comcast over these guys.

Anyways, the new service is basically the same shit with a different name; 3Mbps wireless connection that behaves like it's being siphoned off of 3G towers. The installers at least threw in a decent wireless-N router covered by the installation fees.

Everything's actually working fine; most of the time it seems like we're actually being throttled down to 3Mb/s rather than struggling to reach 1.5 or so. The problem first started when I tried to solve an (apparently unrelated) issue with my torrent box, with multiple search results failing to load.

If the site uses https natively, you'll never see an issue, but if a site you access over an unencrypted http network, and includes 'torrent' anywhere in the URL, it'll loop indefinitely before giving a connection timeout error. It's particularly easy to verify when something like isup.me gives near-instant results for anything until you ask it to check the status of something like the qbittorent home page, or when accessing the encrypted version of Torrentfreak loads fine when the non-https version doesn't load, period.

The stupidest part is that this seems to be the entire extent of the filtering, unless they're filtering actual torrent traffic as well. The sites for any private trackers I use work fine. KAT works fine. I have no idea what domains even work for TPB anymore, but the common proxies still seem to work without issue. But God forbid you include the word torrent in the URL, because that's clearly how everyone accesses their illegal materials. It doesn't reach into any (competent) search engine traffic, and no standard filesharing sites (Mediafire, Zippyshare, MEGA, although most are encrypted) are blocked. I don't know what they've actually managed to accomplish, unless they were doing the bare minimum to comply with some complaint filed against them.

(edit: technically I guess it stops people from downloading .torrent files directly from unencrypted networks, but it's 2015 and everyone's using magnet links anyways.)

loco365

Trophies
XP
lmao that's great filtering. A+.

I mean, you can probably just use a proxy that obfuscates the URL and you're good to go.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use the thepiratebay / demonoid / kickass and for your torrenting program use qbitorrent
Like I said, torrent sites themselves don't seem to be blocked, and I use a remote seedbox with a web interface for torrent traffic anyways.

Of course, with the way things are filtered, I can't actually access qbittorrent's website, and because my seedbox uses qbittorrent-nox, I can't actually use the web UI from this connection until I set the box up for https access - parts of the web UI skin are named things like qbittorrent16.png, which thanks to the filter rules don't load, which in turn prevents essential stuff like the torrent list from loading.

lmao that's great filtering. A+.

I mean, you can probably just use a proxy that obfuscates the URL and you're good to go.
If it really mattered I'd just use Tor short-term or set up my seedbox to work as a VPN long-term, but it's an incredibly minor inconvenience, especially since I'm headed home in a couple weeks and my parents prefer streaming to torrents anyways.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Maybe they don't particularly want to put any effort into filtering? Perhaps they're just doing the bare minimum that they can get away with to comply with law/government guidelines?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.