Hacking My newest toy

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
*Updated to R2*

I wrote a SoftChip mod which is able to load patched "main.dol"s on the fly. With this toy you can select to save or load the files which SoftChip loads from the disc and writes into the memory. You get the main.dol, fst.bin(a little bigger than it is when extracted from disc), bi2.bin and 2 other unidentified files. Just try the program and you will get how to use it. I successfully tested this with a video mode patch from the Generic Wii Patcher(http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=77938).

How to use:
1. Load the game with this SoftChip mod
2. Press - when you are asked for
3. Edit/patch the file(s) you got on sd card on your pc
4. Load the game again, but press + this time

note: you can delete the unpatched files from sd card, if a file is not present on sd, it's loaded from the disc

download(only 10 times, please upload somewhere else, thank you):
http://rapidshare.com/files/192098744/Soft...hToyR5.zip.html

Future plans:
For now this is only a toy, maybe this will be implemented somewhen in SoftChip, but at the moment there are no plans for it. I'm playing with the idea to implement the WiiP Patches from bailli into the loader and maybe to add something to the patch format like patches with search patterns.

Changelog:
- now based on SoftChip r79
- has own config and logfile now
- allows to force(and patch) the video mode*, **, ***
- fixed bug which didn't apply the language and 002 fix

*MPAL 480p might not be working as there's no code for it in libogc and i just used MPAL video mode with 480p NTSC code
**576p is missing, because there's no libogc code for it
***patches only the 480 video modes to each other, and only interlaced to interlaced and progressive to progressive.

Old toy:
multi_cios_installer, downloadable here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=120...t=0&start=0

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting. I sense most hacking is going to be of resources but this looks like a nice prototype for a trainer loader (I am thinking the original xbox here).

Beyond that I am not sure, I would like to say some form of SD loader but the only way I can see it renders it about 50 times more complex than a chip. What would be interesting is if it could be wound in with the early multi game discs dack was experimenting with a few months back.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sorry, my english isn't the best, i have severe problems to understand you. With this toy you can do all patches which could be done to the main.dol on the fly with a 1:1 copy or the original of the game.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiCrazy said:
What's the difference from gecko os or it's rip off backup launcher?

Can you edit the main.dol with a hexeditor and load the game through GeckoOs with this manipulated .dol?

QUOTE(Slowking @ Dec 12 2008, 01:54 PM) Could you also extract the main.dol from a gamecube disc with this? Like an Action Replay?

I didn't try, i don't even know if SoftChip is able to load gamecube games(originals).

pika9323

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sounds really good. I will try that.

PS @WiiPower:
Ich glaube es sollte latest und nicht newest heißen. Mach den Fehler auch immer^^.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
pika9323 said:
Sounds really good. I will try that.

PS @WiiPower:
Ich glaube es sollte latest und nicht newest heißen. Mach den Fehler auch immer^^.

Danke für den Tipp, aber anscheinend bin ich zu blöd um das zu ändern.

(Thank you for the tip, but i seem to be too stupid to change it.)

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks WiiPower this sounds like a pretty cool toy to play with... I just hope I don't get sick of it in 15 minutes and demand a new toy!
wink.gif
Like the child I can be sometimes! haha

For those who missed it in the 1st 10 chances... I threw it in my collectors slot...

http://rapidshare.com/files/172701631/SoftChipPatchToyR1.zip

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
WiiCrazy said:

Can you edit the main.dol with a hexeditor and load the game through GeckoOs with this manipulated .dol?

Well editing the main.dol is the ugly way... editing the dol, replacing the one on disc is the ugliest...
Why loading the modified dol... you can run some binary diff on them and later just patch the difference onto the original... That way you can legally distribute patches... Distributing the other way is illegal...

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiCrazy said:
WiiPower said:
WiiCrazy said:

Well editing the main.dol is the ugly way... editing the dol, replacing the one on disc is the ugliest...
Why loading the modified dol... you can run some binary diff on them and later just patch the difference onto the original... That way you can legally distribute patches... Distributing the other way is illegal...

???

I don't plan to distribute the files this mod extracts and told nobody to do this. This is 10 times better than extracting the .dol from the .iso, patch it, inject it again into the .iso, trucha sign it and then burn the .iso.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@WiiPower technical talk in different languages is worse than slang as far as I am concerned so my apologies if I made it bit harder to keep up (I am not overly inclined to use the "proper" terms either which probably does not help).

I was thinking more about extending the abilities of the patcher and including some generic patching stuff (like the video patch but it gets more complex). As for the multi iso it was problems with the partitioning and so saving the held up the work and if my experiences with early DS flash carts are anything to go by no saves me condemnation by the masses.
This might serve as a workaround although I guess something at the iso construction level might work as well, failing that a hypervisor like the cube one or an interpreter to redirect saves to where they need to be might be an idea.
On the other hand people seem to be waiting for bootmii (or was it bootmiicore) to appear as it seems to have more potential/ease of use compared to IOS hacking.

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
FAST6191 said:
@WiiPower technical talk in different languages is worse than slang as far as I am concerned so my apologies if I made it bit harder to keep up (I am not overly inclined to use the "proper" terms either which probably does not help).

I was thinking more about extending the abilities of the patcher and including some generic patching stuff (like the video patch but it gets more complex). As for the multi iso it was problems with the partitioning and so saving the held up the work and if my experiences with early DS flash carts are anything to go by no saves me condemnation by the masses.
This might serve as a workaround although I guess something at the iso construction level might work as well, failing that a hypervisor like the cube one or an interpreter to redirect saves to where they need to be might be an idea.
On the other hand people seem to be waiting for bootmii (or was it bootmiicore) to appear as it seems to have more potential/ease of use compared to IOS hacking.

Ok, i get it, you want some complex and very difficult stuff i don't understand completely. With this mod you can only edit/patch small things like the video mode or maybe skip a certain check(001 protection hack), in short everything you can patch inside the main.dol without changing the size of the main.dol.

I really would lite to patch the tmd on the fly, which would mean IOS Version patching on the fly, but for this at the least the IOS has to be modified in a complex way.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
WiiCrazy said:
WiiPower said:
WiiCrazy said:

???

I don't plan to distribute the files this mod extracts and told nobody to do this. This is 10 times better than extracting the .dol from the .iso, patch it, inject it again into the .iso, trucha sign it and then burn the .iso.

I did no assumptions for your intention... Just commented about the consequences... Keep calm... Nobody will start distributing stuff because you released this.. What I'm saying, patching is the better way to accomplish the same stuff...

WiiPower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm sorry, i got you wrong. I play with the idea to implement the WiiP Patches, but for now these can only patch at fixed postions. If i do something like this, i would set my aim very high: I would try to develop a general .dol patch format for use with a loader OR patching of .isos with a lot of options and possibilities. For example look for a certain pattern in the file and then patch stuff with relative postion to this. One format for all Wii .dol patching purposes would be very great *dreaming*.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
Interesting. I sense most hacking is going to be of resources but this looks like a nice prototype for a trainer loader (I am thinking the original xbox here).

Beyond that I am not sure, I would like to say some form of SD loader but the only way I can see it renders it about 50 times more complex than a chip. What would be interesting is if it could be wound in with the early multi game discs dack was experimenting with a few months back.
FAST m8, strange enough I spoke to dack today and hadn't heard from him for a while, when I saw this topic I thought similar thoughts to yours, and imo this could help with the development/testing of his ideas. He is still working on the idea, but real life has been busy, and there are still a lot of things needing done. This could save reburning of DVDs in testing was my thought
wink.gif

I've not fully read my pm from him, but am going to now to see what his line of thinking is as he gave me some thoughts I "skimmed over", but his theories seem sound to me just some probs and of course the long. long time it will take, so hope this app can help with that once he has time or I get my bloody wii drive replaced.

Wiipower I gotta say I love this app and have quite a few ideas I want to play with when I get sorted.
biggrin.gif

nicksasa

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
well this afternoon (10 hours back) i tested stuff for wiipower and the region patch works, the language patch works but if the 001 error fix works i cant test because i dont have a modchip AND i found out that nfs undercover also has the 001 error but fixing that doesnt make the game work

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple