My newest project, GameBoyIDE.

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by homsar47, Jan 30, 2014.

1. homsar47
    OP

homsar47 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2014
    United States
    New Bark Town, Johto
    So, I'm aware that there is a program with a similar title, and yes, I will take ideas for a more...unique name.

Anyway, this is a small project that I've started getting into some. The title says it all, pretty much I'm making a Gameboy Game Maker. You will have control over: Images, Sounds, Scenes, Objects, and Scripts. The objects are just an experiment, though; chances are the Gameboy processor may or may not be able to handle that.

Anyway, here's a few snapshots of what I have going on. Suggestions for what you would want?

(The programming language I plan for you to use is assembly, unless somebody has a good way of using GBDK).

Here's a few snappies for you to gaze (they aren't cropped very well).

Main form:
    [​IMG]

New Item Form:
    [​IMG]

Image form (yes, I will improve it):
    [​IMG]

cearp, ipwndeveloper and geoflcl like this.
  2. LoggerMan

LoggerMan GBAtemp Fan

Jun 10, 2011
    Will the resulting games run on most Gameboy flash carts, or does it use a lot of memory that isn't built in to many flash carts?

3. homsar47
    OP

homsar47 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2014
    United States
    New Bark Town, Johto
    I'm not sure what you mean, exactly. Do you mean RAM and ROM sizes?

4. LoggerMan

LoggerMan GBAtemp Fan

Jun 10, 2011
    I've been trying to learn how gameboy carts work, and it seems that some makers have been adding some kind of chip inside the cart itself to give the game more RAM (I think), so if the game needs a lot then they add a lot to the cart itself. A game with a lot of those chips in it would need a flash cart with a lot of chips in it too. I'm just wondering if this editor will let you choose how much of this extra ram is needed by the cart.

I don't really know what I'm talking about though, I might mean ROM instead of RAM. I should just link to the page I read actually

http://gbdev.gg8.se/wiki/articles/Memory_Bank_Controllers

Memory bank controllers.

EDIT: How are you making stuff like this at 13 :O

5. homsar47
    OP

homsar47 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2014
    United States
    New Bark Town, Johto
    Hehe, is my age that much of a shocker? :P I just wanted to learn assembly.

Anyway, I'll look into the "extra chips" and stuff, but you have the ability to choose how much RAM the game will use. Same with ROM. Pretty much any option the program gives you for these will be safe and not need something the Gameboy wouldn't support without extra memory.

6. homsar47
    OP

homsar47 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2014
    United States
    New Bark Town, Johto
    Update: well, VS decided to glitch up the menu strip (File, Program, Project, Help,) to the point where I see more worth in just starting off fresh.

So, pray for me from there.

7. LoggerMan

LoggerMan GBAtemp Fan

Jun 10, 2011
    When I was 13 I imagined that I could play Ocarina of Time on my SNES if Nintendo published it across a dozen or so SNES carts.

8. homsar47
    OP

homsar47 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2014
    United States
    New Bark Town, Johto
    \:l Erm...amazing.

Anyway, with the redo, I figured out the concept of having forms inside forms. Also am working on saving projects and loading them.

9. homsar47
    OP

homsar47 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2014
    United States
    New Bark Town, Johto
    Another update: the script form is nearly done. All I need is a good ScintillaNET syntax highlighter for Z80. Prolly have to make that one myself.

With that, I've contacted James Garner (creator of DS Game Maker) about saving files, and he gave me an entirely different concept to work with. Now I have gotten the scripts to save and load themselves back, so thanks to him.

Erm...anyone want to help me make the program look sharp, or as I would credit you, be the "Art Ninja"?

10. Smouvy

Smouvy Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2014
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    This looks very promising. Will surely give this a spin when it comes out :>

11. homsar47
    OP

homsar47 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2014
    United States
    New Bark Town, Johto
    Why thank you, though the release may be a while from now. I wasn't too into what GBDK offered, and so decided to try and make a C compiler on my own. It's a little wild, though to anyone who wants to help out, here ya go: https://github.com/NicklausW/CCCC

The stuff about getting it onto other consoles is just me daydreaming. Yes, I know it's outlandish, but still.

12. ipwndeveloper

ipwndeveloper GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    San Fransisco, CA
    Good job! I always enjoy seeing projects like this pop up, especially for the GBA/ARM7/Z80, keeping the scene fresh!

13. homsar47
    OP

homsar47 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2014
    United States
    New Bark Town, Johto
    Haha yes, the retro scene will never die. Though it's already a bunch of broken links, which makes things harder than they need to be.

14. ipwndeveloper

ipwndeveloper GBAtemp Regular

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    San Fransisco, CA
    Yea, but thankfully the slightly newer consoles, like the NDS you can find some documentation on the wayback machine!

15. homsar47
    OP

homsar47 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2014
    United States
    New Bark Town, Johto
    I can't thank you enough right now. Managed to grab a PCX to GB converter through that thing.

while (ThankYous != 1000000)
    ThankYous++;

16. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    if you are 13 and working on a compiler, you will do crazy things when you are 20, haha

homsar47 likes this.
  17. homsar47
    OP

homsar47 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2014
    United States
    New Bark Town, Johto
    By the time I've reached 20, I'll be completely insane. :P

cearp likes this.
  18. homsar47
    OP

homsar47 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2014
    United States
    New Bark Town, Johto
    My apologies...had lost my mind in the middle of all of this. XD

I'm not working on this any more for now, might come back to it at some point. Just got all crazy with the concept of the images and my head spun off.