Hacking My Modded Polar DS

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
QUOTE said:
i don't like the nes decal on it, apart from that i like everything else.
That is matter of personal taste..I like that very much, it really makes it look cool to me..But I'm glad you like everything else..

@DarkSpace: Thank you, I did my best!

QUOTE said:
thats some grade eh work there, I like the mix, unique and not too flashy
I was going for that "steady" look, not too extravagant, but on the other side completely unique, I did think a lot what should I do before I let myself into that..

@iwakura: I don't mind..It think you did nice job too..Looks really great, but I heard that Chrome gets scratches just from staying on desk!! It's shame because it looks really great..It would be cool if someone makes real Chrome case, it would be heavy and great because of no scratches (only maybe too heavy for pocket)..

QUOTE said:
wow, looks great! =D is that a clear plastic case on it? also, where did you get the NES stickers?
Thanks, yes it's clear plastic case from the inside mixed with officially Polar White from the outside..The NES sticker isn't really a sticker but foil with printed out my personal design I've made in PhotoShop, and placed inside ClearCrystalCase..

QUOTEvery cool. i love it. it's almost as if it has a liquid center.
It does give away feel like I'm touching inside the NDS..

@Anakir: This picture is a little different from the others because I touched it a bit with PhotoShop, and made it for my background on PC..It is great picture, I like reflection too..

Wait, you used both a transparent shell and a transparent outer casing right.
I used Clear Transparent Casing from the inside, Polar White Original from the outside and on top of all Clear Crystal Case for protection of NDS Lite..

@Taziz:As I said, it's not that hard..Just take yourself time, and educate yourself on what are you doing..

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The NES decal would look a LOT better if you had styled it truly after the NES.

The reasoning behind this is because the color of the varying rounded-rectangles down the middle of the NES color were the shittiest ugliest color ever conceived, so unless you're obviously getting the color just to make a statement (And it should be exact to NES) about the NES and being a hardcore gamer, it's pointless to use. While yours does half of that, it still looks like crap without being centered.

Don't get me wrong, overall I LOVE the look of your modded DS, but I think that was a poor choice in sticker personally. Yes it's opinion, but so is yours, just so you know
tongue.gif

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Pyrofyr said:

The reasoning behind this is because the color of the varying rounded-rectangles down the middle of the NES color were the shittiest ugliest color ever conceived, so unless you're obviously getting the color just to make a statement (And it should be exact to NES) about the NES and being a hardcore gamer, it's pointless to use. While yours does half of that, it still looks like crap without being centered.

Don't get me wrong, overall I LOVE the look of your modded DS, but I think that was a poor choice in sticker personally. Yes it's opinion, but so is yours, just so you know
tongue.gif

+1

Toni Plutonij

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Pyrofyr said:

tongue.gif

Yes, I would partially agree with you, but look..This NES design isn't based originally on NES, but the NES (retro) edition GBA SP (which is based of NES)!! I said this isn't a sticker, but the foil that I often change, (I've maid myself few NES designs, and numerous others) so there are quite few others that you've might like..But you don't see the other side of the designs, which is the bottom part!! This design continues to go all the way to the bottom, so when I open my NDS it looks like one whole picture (and I wanted to make it visible to read declaration on the back of my Lite, and that DS symbol on top is untouched and uncovered)!! All my designs are made that way so all important parts on NDS are uncovered..
While someone would see this as a minus or bad, I find it interesting and nice designed, but I do approve your opinion, and see what do you mean..

EDIT: Actually, I was "implying" on NES, and the mere fact that you understand it was NESly design, it means it does what is it supposed to do..
(and I do have one design "ORIGINALLY" like NES)..maybe I'll post some pictures..But, while that "originally" design on DS looks great while it's open, closed it gives away poor (uncompleted) feeling..

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, no pics of the bottom then? That would probably help me understand why you like it.
Also, you're right it was simple to understand, but you could have just used the color and I would have gotten it. I have 3 NES in my house, one that's right next to my bed, and I've played it since I was 4.

It's not horrible, and the rest of the DS is nice (The actual protector overtop your case doesn't get annoying due to added thickness though?) it's just that that color in and of itself is horrid, so most people tend to shy from it unless they're going for the full-on-NES look.

Toni Plutonij

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Pyrofyr said:
Ah, no pics of the bottom then? That would probably help me understand why you like it.
Also, you're right it was simple to understand, but you could have just used the color and I would have gotten it. I have 3 NES in my house, one that's right next to my bed, and I've played it since I was 4.

It's not horrible, and the rest of the DS is nice (The actual protector overtop your case doesn't get annoying due to added thickness though?) it's just that that color in and of itself is horrid, so most people tend to shy from it unless they're going for the full-on-NES look.

I have some pictures from the bottom, but they didn't turn out so good, so I thought they would somehow ruin the concept if I put them..
I don't mind added thickness as long as it protects my NDS from scratching and dirt!!
It would be quite hard for me to go for a full color NES style, because it is impossible to cover the whole outer shell with the foil without sticking, I'm limited to the top and bottom only, but not the sides..and if I went for the whole color it would cover the declaration on the bottom and the DS symbol on top, and I'm trying to avoid that..I wasn't going for the whole full-on-NES look, but design that would imply that NESly style, but than again, it would be unique..
But as I said, I have few designs, for now, I'm using this one, when I got bored, I'll change it..

And I had original NES too, I was playing it for over ten years, so I know its design very good..

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
It looks very well done, good job on the pictures also, but I'm just not a fan of the clear plastic cases. I can't see what's aesthetically pleasing about showing the PCB and wire-ridden innards of your Nintendo DS?

GJ anyway though, I've heard these cases are pretty tough to fit.

Toni Plutonij

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Xeijin said:
It looks very well done, good job on the pictures also, but I'm just not a fan of the clear plastic cases. I can't see what's aesthetically pleasing about showing the PCB and wire-ridden innards of your Nintendo DS?

GJ anyway though, I've heard these cases are pretty tough to fit.

Thank you, the color of the case is matter of taste, I really like transparent electronics, so this is a "dream come true" for me..
Actually it was very hard fit on upper screen..White top with clear inner plastic didn't want to fit..I had to use little force, and close it under pressure..This mod had lots of "problems" in progress, and there are flaws which I would avoid if I could, but in the end..I'm satisfied with the final product..

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see so that's the case.

I could think of a few other ways to imply NES, that would probably catch the eye of more people.

I think the main problem with the look of it is that it clashes with the 'new modern sleek look' that the rest of your case gives out the whole white with clear over it.

I've actually considered doing the same for my Black NDS (Replacing the outter shell perhaps on just the top and placing a clear piece over it, since it makes it appear a bit more 'clean cut' and sleek)

In any case, I think the main problem is that the NES only looks good in matte-finish sort of way whereas your case gives off a glossy sleek look.

Just my opinion of course, seeing those photos maybe spoiler-tagged or something would be nice anyhow, otherwise we have no idea what the bottom does indeed look like, but I see what you mean, since it's nicely positioned on the table or whatnot for the reflection and all that.

Toni Plutonij

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Pyrofyr said:
I see so that's the case.

I could think of a few other ways to imply NES, that would probably catch the eye of more people.

I think the main problem with the look of it is that it clashes with the 'new modern sleek look' that the rest of your case gives out the whole white with clear over it.

I've actually considered doing the same for my Black NDS (Replacing the outter shell perhaps on just the top and placing a clear piece over it, since it makes it appear a bit more 'clean cut' and sleek)

In any case, I think the main problem is that the NES only looks good in matte-finish sort of way whereas your case gives off a glossy sleek look.

Just my opinion of course, seeing those photos maybe spoiler-tagged or something would be nice anyhow, otherwise we have no idea what the bottom does indeed look like, but I see what you mean, since it's nicely positioned on the table or whatnot for the reflection and all that.

Yes, it is how it is..
If you have any idea, try suggesting me..maybe I could come up with something!!
You are COMPLETLY right about the clash with this "new modern sleek look", I believe that's the reason we started this "big talk"..and I totally agree with you on NES looking the best on matte-finish, I even thought about sanding original case to remove that gloss finish, but I'm too afraid of ruining it all..so I decided better not to..

@NeSchn: haha, Pimp my NDS!!!!!!! haha..(I should have added 10 more useless screens that would show Xzibits videos in loop)

@mastermanna123: Yes, it would be great but I already said, it's a little problematic for me..
QUOTEGood idea, maybe it would even work if I didn't live in this country I live in..Shipping prices from here are big, and that's just one of the problems I would come to if I'd try something like that..(besides, Nintendo DS is pretty expensive to buy here-220$, and when importing it just isn't that easy to do)..But maybe one day, who knows..

sepinho

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Tony, I love your DS. It looks absolutely amazing!

It's inspired me to do something similar in the not-too-distant future: I want to turn my rather dull polar-white DSL into a bi-color white-and-red one using this replacement case. And just like you, I'm planning to change only the insides of the DS. Do I still have to _completely_ disassemble the DS for that? Or can I leave the actual electronic innards of the DS in place? How did you do it?

Toni Plutonij

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Wow, now this is a bump....Thank you for nice words..
Your plan is great, it will look awesome when you do that..

If you're planning to change inner casing, like I did, you'll have to disassemble the whole thing, you'll have to disconnect the upper part of NDS from the lower and take everything a part..
If you decide to change only outer shell, you don't have to disassemble it completely, just remove screws, and replace the case..

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
awesome ds ^^

make another project xD maybe ... the golden zelda PH ds and the pikachu edition ds ! that would look cool ^^

like some people said you can have an awesome collection of DS' like that and you would be unique !!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: