My Modded Polar DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Toni Plutonij, May 21, 2008.

May 21, 2008

My Modded Polar DS by Toni Plutonij at 12:15 PM (4,523 Views / 0 Likes) 42 replies

1. Toni Plutonij
    OP

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    After lots of thinking and researching, I've decided to try to mod my Polar White DS and see what will I come up with..

I got myself a clear transparent case, and decided to mix my original case with this one, rather than change it completely..This way I would get more unique look, and actually it looks better this way to me..
    I had few trouble points in this progress of mixing, but I spent one whole day in researching, reading guides and watching videos..Tried to learn what would be most painfull parts to deal with, and where do I have to be most careful..
    I had little experience with tech. stuff, and taking things a part, but never something such complex as Nintendo DS Lite..
    I took myself one whole day to do it, without no rush, and after few hours of very careful work, this is what I came up with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would like to hear your opinions, what do you think about it, and if you have any questions I would be happy to answer..

2. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Nice stuff there! How long did it take for you to get it all together (actual hours)?

3. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    really nice, Only prob is the speakers... Looks a little funny but other than that, very unique and great design!! [​IMG]

4. Toni Plutonij
    OP

Croatia
    It took me about one and a half hour to swap everything and put it together..And than additional two!! hours to get shoulder buttons right, I wanted to put clear ones (it would fit better, but i couldn't get it right to work), after two hours, I realized that clear ones doesn't fit good with white outer shell (they would work if I decided to make everything clear, but they weren't fit with white shell)..After I decided to go with white shoulder buttons, I managed to put it together in 5 minutes..
    So, this all experience took me about 4 hours..

Curley: Only thing that actually bothers me is that empty space around right speaker..But I find my Lite now very unique and great..I'm very satisfied and happy now..

5. sepinho

Member sepinho GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    pretty.. well.. pretty! And very encouraging to read your report, thank you very much.
    I had been thinking about the same thing, this might just be the kick in the rear-end that I needed!

6. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Nice work mate, good photos too!

7. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    that pretty cool. make more and sell them.

8. Upperleft

Member Upperleft Namcoholic

United Arab Emirates
    i liked that NES styled skin you put on your DS =P

9. Toni Plutonij
    OP

Croatia
    @ sepinho: well, I was thinking for a long time should I do it or not, I was bit afraid to open it..But, I said, what a heck, lets give it a shot and see what will I come up with..
    It really isn't that hard, just take your time..and research a lot!! There are few VERY useful guides and one particular video I find very good (You can find it on youtube, it's split in four parts)..

@ BlueStar: I did try to make the photos attractive too..So it would all be well presented..

@ BortzANATOR: Good idea, maybe it would even work if I didn't live in this country I live in..Shipping prices from here are big, and that's just one of the problems I would come to if I'd try something like that..(besides, Nintendo DS is pretty expensive to buy here-220$, and when importing it just isn't that easy to do)..But maybe one day, who knows..

@ Upperleft: Nice you noticed..I have few more designs..But for now I use this one..I really like that retro feel i get when I see it..and it looks cool to me..

Thank you all for kind words..I'm glad you like it, and you see this as a brave act (I needed bravery when I was about to begin [​IMG] )..
    [​IMG]

10. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i don't like the nes decal on it, apart from that i like everything else.

11. DarkSpace

Member DarkSpace Custom member title

United States
    Good Times and good work

12. Chedderknight

Member Chedderknight GBAtemp Regular

United States
    thats some grade eh work there, I like the mix, unique and not too flashy

13. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    don't mean to steal your thread, but I thought I'd post my modded DSL as well [​IMG]

Mine was a mix of chrome and Arctic Blue

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i love the chrome ds lite.

15. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Where would you get a chrome casing and how much would it cost...?

16. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  17. JDMEVOIXMR

Member JDMEVOIXMR GBAtemp Regular

United States
    wow, looks great! =D is that a clear plastic case on it? also, where did you get the NES stickers?

18. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    very cool. i love it. it's almost as if it has a liquid center.

19. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    I actually love what you did. This picture looks really cool too.. I love the reflection.

20. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Wait, you used both a transparent shell and a transparent outer casing right.