Hardware My First OLED HWFLY Installation, and a Few Thoughts

randy_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings! Just received my mod chip today and immediately installed it on my OLED switch, and it booted up instantly.
Long story short I ordered the OLED special chip (without USB header, locked) by mistake, and was a bit worried about it being unstable. Turns out it's way better than I expected. It glitches and boots instantly every single time (purple LED flashes 3-5 times and it's done). My only complaint is the QSB for point A and D are a bit off, doesn't align properly so I had to solder jumper wires to these points (see photo for details). It would be great if they also expose point A, C and D on pcb so you can solder to them directly.

This is the OLED special chip I ordered:
TDi0hLj.png

I noticed some sellers are including a newer variant of the QSB, not sure if that fixes the misalignment issue.

My installation picture:
Lae55qF.jpg

As you can see I used some jumper wire to solder to those pads on QSB, also the part extends to 3.3v and gnd points is a bit too long and arches up.
I ended up throwing away the metal shield for soc and ram chips cause I wrapped it so bad during teardown and I can't even flatten it. Besides I think direct contact from heatpipe to the die also helps cooling. If anyone know how to remove the EMI shield please let me know. I still have another oled switch waiting to be modded lol.

And success! Instant boot baby.
4xz3Zoz.jpg

So some final thoughts:
Flashable oled chip is the best option since you can update its firmware. The oled special chip isn't that bad if you have one, just hoping they could improve the QSB in the future or expose all points on PCB so you can solder to them directly.

Btw is it normal that hekate feels a bit laggy and joycons don't work on oled model? On original unpatched switch everything's smooth.

randy_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A quick follow up:

Had a few failed boot attempts today, LED flashes purple for like 10 times then turns red. Measuring with multimeter shows point D voltage drop decreased to about 100mV (nominal value should be around 700mV according to installation video on youtube). I think QSB is causing this problem so I decided to remove it. Turns out point A C and D are actually exposed on the modchip, just not labelled. Here are soldering pads for point A C and D (figured out the pinout myself with multimeter), they are right next to the ribbon connector.
Untitled.png

No need to purchase the special breakout ribbon cable, just solder to the modchip directly.
Official-Ming-Hwfly-Core-Lite-Oled-chip-cable-set-accessories-no-include-the-chip-itself-wholesale.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

And my OLED is back to life. Shook it around and rebooted for like 20 times, instant boot every single time. There's a no sd error popped up once, no idea how that happened tho.

Hope this helps those bought the oled "special" chip.

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw is it normal that hekate feels a bit laggy and joycons don't work on oled model? On original unpatched switch everything's smooth.
Yes, that is normal. Though the Joy Con's should work in Hekate, hell they even work when put in backwards. CTCaer sure did think of everything that people could do with their Switch.

randy_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that is normal. Though the Joy Con's should work in Hekate, hell they even work when put in backwards. CTCaer sure did think of everything that people could do with their Switch.
Yeah I remember on my unpatched switch joycons would vibrate when entering hekate and you can control a pointer on screen with left stick and select with A. That didn't happen on my oled switch when I booted hekate the first time. Just tried entering hekate again and now joycons work. No idea what happened.

randy_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you even put them in backwards?
I think that means you slide left joy con in the right rail, and right joy con in the left rail, with buttons facing backwards. Tired that and indeed you can still control the pointer in hekate. IIRC they won't even get recognized if you put them backwards in official system. Interesting little feature

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think that means you slide left joy con in the right rail, and right joy con in the left rail, with buttons facing backwards. Tired that and indeed you can still control the pointer in hekate. IIRC they won't even get recognized if you put them backwards in official system. Interesting little feature
I didn't even know that was possible.
They're definitely still connected wirelessly though. I guess HOS detects that something was plugged in but can't communicate so it gives up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Both of mine are i5's lol
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    All right! Who stole my right sock? :angry:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    DNDBD (DND×DBD) IS A REAL THING
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I didnt have school today
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz it's some kind of holiday related to the town I live in
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Am I [R WORD]?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon