My First DSTT

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by nightclaws, Nov 15, 2008.

Nov 15, 2008

My First DSTT by nightclaws at 9:39 PM (2,029 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. nightclaws
    OP

Newcomer nightclaws Member

United States
    Woo! I just received my very first DSTT! [​IMG]
    I'm a little lost though... I've never really "played" with anything like this before..
    So i need a little help to steer me in the right direction so I dont mess this up..
    What are the first few things i should do and download to get it working properly?
    (I have my MicroSD card all ready and prepared)
    Thanks all [​IMG]

2. Hehe Moo

Member Hehe Moo Moo?

Australia
    First thing you need to know...

Is it fake?

Click Search at the top of the screen, and look up "DSTT Fake"... there are several threads about that.

Secondly, you need to download the latest firmware, also obtainable from GBAtemp.

Thirdly, you need to put some roms on. DO NOT ASK FOR ROMS OR ROMSITES.

3. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    Well.. just get the latest firmware 1.16 as suggested above and would recommend you to create a GAME folder just to tidy things up a little

by the way, what colour is your DSTT? black or white?

4. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The "games" folder is more than a suggestion. There is a limit to the number of files you can have on the root of your microSD card, and the DSTT will freeze up on you once that limit is reached. Therefore, the "games" folder for your .nds and .sav files will leave fewer files on the root and will avoid problems.

-Bri

5. nightclaws
    OP

United States
    My dstt is white i think..
    haha is there a difference?
    oh.. does anyone know how to use moonshell.. i got it and i converted something to dpg and it took longer than the video.
    is that normal?

6. aznvienna

Member aznvienna GBAtemp Regular

United States
    does it have a gold circle on the green? [​IMG]
    That screwed me up

7. nightclaws
    OP

United States
    nah.. theres no gold or green..
    just a lot of blue..
    and then if something doesn't work theres some type of error with a lot of word coding..

8. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    He meant is there a gold dot visible on the green part of the PCB where the MicroSD slot is.

9. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    Good for you. Provided you've got an authentic card, DSTT is a good card and will serve well.

10. Bri

United States
  11. nightclaws
    OP

United States
    hmm.. i'm pretty sure its all real and that.
    can anyone help me with moonshell tho?
    it takes a while to convert somethin... like it'll twice as long as the video is to convert it to dpg.

12. Bri

United States
    That's probably normal. Are you using BatchDPG? If you're not, try BatchDPG. Some people also use SUPER to do the conversion (easier to use but supposedly the output isn't quite as good quality).

-Bri

13. R_four_menu

Newcomer R_four_menu Newbie

Singapore
    I checked mine against the pictures.

Unfortunately, my TF slot is on the left. So, it is either fake or stopped production.

So, how do I determine whether it is fake or stopped production WITHOUT opening up the plastic case ?

If it is fake, then my micro sd card would be "killed" ? And how would it be "killed" ?

Thanks

14. rasputin

Member rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There is no way of telling without ripping it apart, if you want to be safe use 1.15 software instead, there's only 1 rom fix in 1.16 anyway ..2838

15. R_four_menu

Singapore
    Thanks but what exactly you meant when you say " there's only 1 rom fix in 1.16 anyway ..2838" ?

thanks

16. rasputin

Member rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Rom no. 2838 (japanese game) will not work on 1.15 but does on 1.16

17. Bri

United States
    You'll want to use the older 1.15 version of the firmware that is on this site. There have been reports that 1.16 has the fake killer code in it. Fake killer firmware (if it's actually been released) will fry your flash cart and possibly your microSD card if you have a fake DSTT.

-Bri

18. R_four_menu

Singapore
    Ok thanks Bri, I shall quickly downgrade to 1.15 then.

But then, I have already played in 1.16 for a couple of days. How come it is still ok ? Does that mean that some part of the card is already spoilt ? So, how long it takes before it is totally 100% spoilt ?

Thanks

19. Bri

United States
    The ones with the microSD slot on the left are not necessarily fakes (you'll have to open it up to tell for sure).

It's also unclear whether or not the 1.16 firmware actually has the fake killer code in it. However, I have confirmed that the 1.16 firmware that was released on the first day is different than the 1.16 firmware that is there now (it was apparently updated the following day without updating the version number). That's suspicious, but doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Some have attributed failing carts to the firmware and in some cases have reported a delay before the cart exhibited problems. The video of the fake killer shows it killing fake carts immediately and decisively, so if there's a delay then they've changed the code a bit. The information on the web site concerning the fake killer code suggests that it can also kill the microSD card, but as far as I know there have been no reports of a microSD card damaged by fake killer firmware.

So although there isn't enough evidence in my opinion to say that 1.16 contains the fake killer code, 1.16 only fixes one Japanese-language game and therefore unless you just have to play that particular game I'd stick to 1.15 until more is known.

-Bri