My computer isn't working. Help D:?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by FrEEz902, Feb 28, 2009.

Feb 28, 2009
  1. FrEEz902
    OP

Member FrEEz902 GBAtemp Regular

Egypt
    WELL here's what happened.

About a month ago my videocard kind of stopped working. Windows was working fine but any game would play only for a few minutes, then the game would freeze, graphics would screw up, and the game would work but i can't see a damn thing properly.

Anyway, I opened the CPU case and inspected the graphics card, and concluded that the GPU fan was screwed. I then was going to unplug the GPU fan, and take it with me to a computer mall to get one identical to it. At the time, my computer was turned on, and being the GENIUS (GENIUS in this case meaning a complete dumb FUCK) that I am, i unplugged the GPU fan while the computer was turned on, since it wasn't spinning anyway so i thought nothing would happen. I wasn't looking at the screen at the time but it then turned a solid orange colour :S. SO, i held the power button to turn off the computer, reconnected the fan, and tried to turn on the computer. It worked for a bit, the computer started up, then a random colour showed up (it was like stripes of red and white or something). I reset the computer, started it up again. It was booting into windows, but then the screen went black. After that, I tried starting up the computer, and nothing happened. The fans and lights are working, but the screen is showing nothing whatsoever, not even the motherboard logo. I concluded that I broke the video card, and then a month later i bought a new one (today). SO i connected it, and it wasn't working.

SO..... My question is.

Why isn't it working D:?

Oh I should mention my brother disconnected the hard drive (while the PC was turned off) to try to copy the contents onto an old computer (since he wanted stuff from it). But the last computer he opened was about 10 years old, with IDE cables and stuff (the HDD is SATA). I did connect it again, and I double checked all cables were connected.

I'm hoping to GOD that I didn't ruin my motherboard since I already spent about $240 upgrading the computer =I ( I bought rams as well), and my dad won't be happy when i tell him i need an additional $100 since i broke the motherboard [​IMG]

EDIT: Here are my specs.

Motherboard: Nvidia 680LT SLI
    Rams: 1GB*2 dual channel APOGEE
    Graphics card: Was 8500GT, now Radeon HD4830
    Processor: Intel Core2Duo E6600 2.4Ghz
    HDD: 320GB SATA
    Power Supply: 500Watt K-mex power supply

Also the HDD is spinning;i tried disconnecting it from the power supply and there's a clear difference.|

EDIT 2: No beeps at all. I tried taking out the ram and turning on the computer, still no beeps.

2. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    Well, first of all, it's really stupid to use the computer for even a second without cooling especially on the CPU/GPU (i'm surprised it even worked a while before.., you must've had some passive cooling that handled it when it wasn't stressed or something).

Since you've bought a new videocard and it still doesn't work, i assume you've burnt out something, you should open the case up again and scan it thru manually and look for parts that look burnt, my guess is that you burnt something that has to do with the PCI-E port (if you've got another PCI-E port try that one).

I'm sorry but i think you'll have to dissapoint your father and buy that motherboard (if you're lucky and nothing else is destroyed) :/ ..

3. FrEEz902
    OP

Egypt
    My cousin suggested it could be the power supply. I will have a professional look at it but I want to see if it's anything I can solve before getting ripped off.

4. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    Hmm, you could try if the power supply works if you check that it outputs any power, either by a multimeter or if you want to fiddle a bit, make it connect to a fan or something directly.

5. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Getting no output whatsoever is strange. Try booting up the system without a video card (and possibly without the hard drive, seeing as you don't know if you have it plugged in correctly). If that doesn't give you any beeps (or lights or whatever your system uses) start removing more stuff until you are pretty much left with the motherboard+cpu+ram+PSU as that should always give you beeps. Mind you don't remove the CPU cooling [​IMG]. Seeing as you said removing the RAM didn't give you any beeps it could be your motherboard doesn't beep without RAM (or with a broken video card installed [​IMG]).

If you start getting the beeps, check to see if you expect them to be there (aka not the motherboard stating it has no ram while ram is still installed), if so start building up your system one component at a time (starting with the video card). Installing the video card in another system to check if it still works might also be wise.

====as for what you did=====
    If the fan wasn't moving when you disconnected it it shouldn't have broke, aside from maybe some bad handled voltage drop nothing should happen. Sounds more like you weren't working ESD secure and you broke it that way if it would have failed completely after that (btw, working on the machine while on, especially if you do not know what you are doing, a big no no). The fact that you stated that it did work a few times after that gives me the idea that it simply was a heat problem rather then you breaking it by removing the fan.

=== quick edit ===
    You might also try, especially if you are running mobo+cpu+ram+psu and don't get beeps, to clear the CMOS.

6. FrEEz902
    OP

Egypt
    Yeah i tried removing the battery for 5 minutes, put it back in, and nothing happened :|
    And yes i know, i told you [sarcasm]i'm a GENIUS [/sarcasm]

7. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Tried running mobo+cpu+ram+psu like I suggested too? Btw look up in your manual if you should hear PC beeps and check if you have a PC speaker (attached).