Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-V-Coustic...910-i1326508.gc

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Peavey+-+Rockm...p;skuId=9737557

Some of you may remember me talking about getting one and asking for everyones opinions. That was awhile ago and now I'm seriously thinking about getting one now that I got money coming in. I was thinking about selling my piano, but I like and still try to learn some songs on it here and there.....So I decided to start looking and I like the two I link above and I wanted to ask if those are any good for my 1st guitar. I'm really liking the 1st one I linked to though.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
As a guitarist myself, I'd say your aiming for an okay price for the acoustic. For a first guitar, to make it last (since it will be your first precious guitar, after all.), I'd put down around 190-250 USD. Don't try and get a beginners set; while they try to be good, they charge quite a lot for the items you get, which might risk low quality products (like giving an okay guitar and a malfunctioning tuner. Without batteries, in my case). Secondly, you want this guitar to last a few years and stand the test of time. It's a horrible feeling when you don't feel a guitar is good anymore, and you need to sell/throw it. Also, keep the piano!! I personally advice you to keep it, as learning notes and scales on a piano is a lot easier on a piano than what it is for a guitar, and combining them together is great. It's a also a great substitute for a tuner, where you just press the right keys to tune.

Finally, I want to add that you should UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should buy an electric guitar as your FIRST guitar. You stick to acoustic, learn some theory, learn the bar-chords, play for about year (maybe half a year if you're intense and play everyday) with ONLY an acoustic guitar, and you can broaden your horizon from there, if you like. This, in no way, means you should only play classical styles, or only a nylon string guitar. If you prefer more rock/a sharper sound, get a steel-stringed guitar. I do warn it's more expensive and harder to learn, because the strings are closer together and it's a bit harder to finger the frets. But it generally sounds amazing...

I remember when I started playing, I sucked so much I wanted to bang the guitar on my head over my failures. It takes a long time to learn, and if you start playing seriously, it might take longer to find your own sound and know how you want to sound when you play. You're going to want to give up as well, but you won't do it (I hope).

Ask any local guitarists/musicians for more help, because it's kind of difficult to convey proper guitar advice over the internet. xD

EDIT: I just wanted to say I'm not writing this to make you doubt yourself over the guitars you linked to. It's just that it's best for yourself to make a ver careful choice and try MANY guitars out before deciding on one. I've tried the Acoustic-Electric you linked to, and it's absolutely not too bad for beggining, though I'd personally aim a tiny bit higher.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You'll need to get quite a bit more money out of your pockets for a decent guitar (expect prices a little under $1000).

Oh, never get an electric guitar first, and go to a music school if you really want to learn how to play properly.

I'm pretty sure you'll fail, though.

@Ace Faith: a good tuner doesn't cost a lot these days, probably $20 at most, anything at a higher price is a scam.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
You'll need to get quite a bit more money out of your pockets for a decent guitar (expect prices a little under $1000).

Oh, never get an electric guitar first, and go to a music school if you really want to learn how to play properly.

@Ace Faith: a good tuner doesn't cost a lot these days, probably $20 at most, anything at a higher price is a scam.

There are significant price differences for musical products between Europe and USA. Any and all stores I go to have shameful prices, compared to what I can get online from US/elsewhere.
I wasn't only referring to the tuner though; a cousin of mine lay down about 100 USD on a beginners guitar set from Spain, and I payed half, just to get him started. It's utter crap; the guitar's frets don't work below the 11th fret on any strings; the provided strings were already rusted when bought, and came with an equally bad and rusty replacement set of strings; and the tuner stopped working after about a month. And the resonance was quite terrible when played, even for the tone most beginners start off with. The fact that it was so much suck from the beginning made him quit playing, which made me disappointed. At least he started singing, instead. It's best to kick off with some relatively awesome stuff, rather than getting what is usually provided.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I think both the guitars looked good. Lol at the Acoustic Guitar btw.
tongue.gif

A tip though, never give up. Its pretty hard at the beginning, but it will get easier after a while.
wink.gif

You can also learn a lot from YouTube.
smile.gif

Ace Faith said:
Finally, I want to add that you should UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should buy an electric guitar as your FIRST guitar. You stick to acoustic, learn some theory, learn the bar-chords, play for about year (maybe half a year if you're intense and play everyday)

I got a electrical first.
tongue.gif
I have played guitar for about a year now.
yay.gif

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i got a similar peavy for my kid. he wanted an electric guitar. i had first got him that exact one you got and it works just fine. the amplifier is pretty crappy, mostly static noise. i hooked it up to my computer and i got some pretty good sound out of it. i returned it and got a a different peavey, i think it's just the model barely above it. it cost less but without the amp which i don't miss at all.

i don't know what 1000 dollar guitar like overlord will do for you but i'm sure it wont help you learn it any easier.

it's a lot easier to learn on electric. i started out on acoustic with heavy steel strings and it made me give up right away. after getting the electric for my son i started playing on that and it was alot more encouraging that i got hooked on practicing. i quickly went back to my acoustic and managed to do the chords i couldn't do before except for the fm chord, the strings are still too hard for me to press a full bar at the first fret with those strings.

anyway, acoustic guitar may be discouraging to start out with unlike some people above suggest. i would switch back and forth and if i was really to do it all over again i would of started with light/medium strings.

btw, my acoustic is a cheap 75 dollar one i picked up at a local store. it's been pretty good to me for 7 years now and stays in tune for while.

D

Deleted-188346

Overlord Nadrian said:

No. You don't need to go to a music school.
And no, he'll only fail if he keeps getting people saying he'll fail.

If you're just a little patient, and you stick to learning, you'll do fine.
Best way to learn, in my opinion, is to teach yourself.
Learn your favorite songs (that aren't overly difficult).
For example, the Tetris Theme is a fairly easy and fun song to play. Just play it slowly, and play it faster as you feel more comfortable.

Oh, and pick a nice cheap acoustic guitar at first. Preferably a nylon string guitar.

Pendor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:

Oh, never get an electric guitar first.

+1

Back then when I first started learning how to play, I got an electric one.

Worst decision ever.

Dangy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't buy a beginner pack. The Amps are a waste of money. They honestly sound terrible. Buy a Electric or Acoustic guitar depending on what kind of music you want to play.

Kikuichimonji

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Finally, I want to add that you should UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should buy an electric guitar as your FIRST guitar.
QUOTE said:
Oh, never get an electric guitar firstQUOTE
Back then when I first started learning how to play, I got an electric one.

Worst decision ever.
loooooooool. What are you guys going on about? TC, don't listen to these people. When starting guitar, you should buy the kind of guitar that will keep you interested in learning how to play. I started with electric, I know I would have probably quit if I had started with acoustic. If you think you won't be bored by playing acoustic then moving on to electric, that's fine, but it's NOT necessary. Anybody that says differently is just repeating what they heard from other people without any real rationale.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Electrics are harder to learn and more expensive to get set up with. You can play whatever you want on an acoustic the only thing you can't do is go up extremely high (12th fret or so, I can just about manage Sweet Child O' Mine on mine) Steel strings sound great when you're doing rocky stuff even on an acoustic.

My parents got me a relatively cheap Yamaha Acoustic from Costco a couple of years ago. It came with a tuner, a Tuition DVD (never used it really), a strap and a pick (I've since found some picks I prefer) along with a spare set of strings. I think it cost about £100-£150 but I love the battered thing.

Also, I would suggest against that V-Shaped thing. It looks uncomfortable and while learning you'll spent a let of time with the guitar on your leg (playing on a strap is harder). Also, if you get a steel strung guitar be prepared for your fingers to hurt while your fingertips harden.

My advice: Learn some open chords and try a few simple progressions. Move onto Bar Chords (that's when things get fun, makes it so easy to find the chord you need). Finally learn to read Tab (its pretty simple) and start looking stuff up to try out.
I'm quite a useless guitarist tbh, I can play something if you tell me what the chord progression is quite easy but just tell me the key and I am useless. I do not know much of music in general.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Definitely get an electric guitar first. They are easier to fret, easier to restring, easier to tune, and most importantly, are loud as hell and a blast to play even when you are a newb. (and you're less likely to quit if you're having fun)

Acoustics have nice tone and you can play them anywhere, but you really have to know what your doing to sound good playing one. On the other hand, with an electric, you can learn a single power chord and you can melt people's faces! BTW, that Peavy looks great -- wouldn't be a bad place to start. ("need $1000 for a first guitar?" -- stupid comment)

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's no kind way to say this, so I'll just say it: some people here have some stupid fucking opinions on guitars and should not be trusted. Just from reading this thread the actual competence of their guitar playing and experience is immediately suspect.

Other than the consensus to avoid those starter kits. They are unplayable and likely to be built so generic that it will deter you from proceeding.

Firstly, an electric is absolutely what you want. The action is adjustable, you'll have access to the fretboard, it's less bulky and therefore superior for learning. Most importantly the string gauges are kinder on your fingers than acoustic strings. And the fact that you're going to suck for a long time is a factor, because an electric won't piss off everybody around you every time you play it provided you unplug it or use headphones.

The best advice I can give to any beginner is to skip everything relating to music theory and notation. When you can hit the correct strings that you intend to, switch chords without concentrated effort, and easily reach four-five frets without straining your hand then you may want to delve into them. Until then:

Step 1: Learn to read tablature

Step 2: Download tabs to the songs that _you_ enjoy. In the process of learning them is everything you will ever need to know.

Step 3: Seek advice when necessary from other guitarists, watching Youtube, or reading articles.

Do not waste your money on beginner how-to books. Do not waste your money on lessons from some guy who thinks its cool to get paid $40/hour to play guitar. There is nothing you will learn from any of them that you cannot learn for free.

Do not, under any circumstances, invest in a "decent" guitar anywhere near $1000 until your playing is on par with at least five of the top twenty guitarists.

Invest in a digital tuner. You can get a decent one for $20 at any shop. You'll want to learn to tune at some point but until then don't worry about relying on it.

Regarding your pick of guitars: The V is a huge NO. They are fantastic to play live, but you won't be doing that any time soon if ever. A V acoustic seems pointless and designed to sucker in would-be guitarists. You need a guitar that you can sit down to play, and that is not a V shape or any derivative thereof. The Peavy is likely the same thing sold at Walmarts around the country. Again, there's such a thing as too generic when the fretboard feels like sandpaper and the strings need to be raised a half inch to avoid buzzing.

Try searching around Musician's Friend because they do have decent prices and you can typically receive free shipping.

Lastly, you may consider seeking future advice at the ultimate-guitar forums where a few people may know what they're talking about. Seeking music advice on a video game forum from people with anime characters for avatars probably isn't the wisest move.

D

Deleted User

Those guitars suck.
A good beginner electric is usually $200-$300. You don't want to get something solely because it'll look cool. I do not know why that first one would be your choice. For acoustic electrics, you want something with a bigger body. Also, acoustic-electric and electric are not the same. One has pickups while the other doesn't. Do some research on pickups, so you can choose between a single coil guitar and one with humbuckers. This brings me to your next choice. It only has one pickup. That's no good, especially if it comes in a starter pack.

If you end up with a steel string acoustic guitar, please don't be one of those mind-numbing chord strummers. Play some lead guitar.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't buy a guitar from Best Buy. Go to a music store like Sam Ash or Guitar World. Fenders are nice guitars (well mine is, but it's rather old, I have two guitars, an acoustic and an electric, they don't get played as much as my woodwinds due to small hands, I may get a ukulele though since they're easier for people with small hands). You don't have to get something expensive, but I would still go to a music store, they're bound to know more than someone at Best Buy and they will be of better quality.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
dib said:
the actual competence of their guitar playing and experience is immediately suspect.
wut

I've been playing guitar for 8 years now, so I think I know what I'm talking about. I don't repeat what others said, I say what others are going to repeat.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
OP
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for everyone's comments....Right now I think I might get the one from guitar city. It'll be awhile before I even get one so in the mean time I will be doing a lot of research and such. I put in for a state job so if I get it then I'll get one sooner than I initially expected.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1