Hacking Music playback while in game

alo123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would the DSTWO ever be able to allow you to listen to mp3s while playing ds games?
Sorry if this has been asked before

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually this makes me think. If you are able to use a Real Time Save menu in-game, why not listen to some tunes? Before, that may not have been a possibility, but with a kick of an extra CPU it might just be. I hope someone with better knowledge on the DS's inner workings can clarify.

alo123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I guess the DSTWO is not worth it for me I am happy with my acekard 2i if the DSTWO
ever allows you to listen to mp3s while playing ds games then I might buy it but for now not
worth it for me. I guess a hacked psp spoiled me with mp3 playback while playing psp games.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alo123 said:
Well I guess the DSTWO is not worth it for me I am happy with my acekard 2i if the DSTWO
ever allows you to listen to mp3s while playing ds games then I might buy it but for now not
worth it for me. I guess a hacked psp spoiled me with mp3 playback while playing psp games.
Yea, don't listen to the people above. One word posts are a no no, even if they are percieved to answer the question.

Until we get someone who can definitively dismiss my thoughts, I won't be discounting the possibility yet.

alo123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The mp3 playback on the psp while playing psp games is great there are a few games that do not
work with it but like 99% of psp games work with it I have only come across one or two games that
freeze and shut down while trying to play the mp3s. I just whish this was possible on the ds with
the DSTWO instead of having to use my psp to play music while I play ds games

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Playing music while in game would be unstable, and also why would the Supercard team implement a feature that only a few people want.

alo123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would think a lot of people would want this and with the talk of how great and powerful the
DSTWO is I thought this would be possible

Edit: I am no expert so I will wait until someone who is to tell me if it is possible or not

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alo123 said:
I would think a lot of people would want this and with the talk of how great and powerful the
DSTWO is I thought this would be possible
If they were willing to implement features into their EOS, wouldn't you think that we'd have native GBA and SNES loading by now? I'm not trying trying to say that your idea is shit, it's just probably never gunna happen unless somebody makes their own kernel.

alo123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sure wish it would happen that would make me buy a DSTWO instantly but for now I
guess I have use my psp for music playback while playing ds games

Edit: I will just use the money I would have spent on a DSTWO to buy a bigger psp memory stick

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pocchama1996 said:
hullo8d do you even know what youre talking about?
I think not.

Sorry but last time I checked GBA and SNES still don't have native loading, and features as simple as real-time menu and real-time save can be unstable at time.
Right now the DSTWO is just a baby and the Supercard Team probably has bigger thing in mind then in-game music playback.

alo123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is bigger than mp3 playback while in game n64 emulation?
Just a joke but I will keep my fingers crossed that this may one day happen for now I will
just wait and hopefully by that time the DSTWOs price will be lower I am in no rush to spend
$40 dollars on this when my acekard 2i works perfect for everything I need it to do

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
My assumption is NO. For a start, to access the DSTwo real time menu, an interrupt is hacked into a game which checks for a button combination, once it is detected I am assuming that the DS RAM is backed up (save-state) the DSTwo menu is loaded, you do whatever it is you want, then the DS RAM is loaded back and you're in your game again.
When playing a DS game, the system is running a DS game, that game has full control over the ARM7 chip (used for sound among other things) and would need to be hacked to allow the DSTwo access.
If someone was willing to hack the standard DS ARM7 binaries to read and play MP3 files while still playing a game, then there would be no need to use a DSTwo to do so as it would be just as possible without it.
The reason it can be done on the PSP is because the PSP is running an actual OS in the background and it is the OS that is hacked and not every single game that is played.
Also, playing an MP3 would also remove all sound from the game, both BGM and SFX, I for one quite enjoy SFX in games, they make the experience much more enjoyable.
If you want to listen to music while playing a game, I suggest turning down the volume on your DS and using your personal MP3 player.

alo123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for explaining it I am a bit disappointed but glad I got my answer. I guess I do not
need to invest in another flash cart. Goes back to playing Last Window

Edit: For some reason yesterday and today I got real chatty do not know why

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
alo123 said:
I sure wish it would happen that would make me buy a DSTWO instantly but for now I
guess I have use my psp for music playback while playing ds games

Edit: I will just use the money I would have spent on a DSTWO to buy a bigger psp memory stick

ok..and you tell us all your reasons to not buy a DSTWO because...?

Seriously, we don't care what you do.
rolleyes.gif

btt: sure its possible

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1