multiple games randomly freezing

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by anti-villian, Nov 30, 2011.

Nov 30, 2011
  1. anti-villian
    OP

Newcomer anti-villian Newbie

United States
    Hey,

So I'm having this problem. There are a bunch of games I tried to install on my HD that keep freezing. What happens is this. I will launch the game from USB loader GX, everything goes fine but then at a random moment the game will just freeze and a fragment of the last sound played will look (often a loud buzzing sound)

I have tried launching the games with different launchers, CFG, floader, neogamma etc. all of them have similar problems.

I have tried reinstalling the iso, this includes reinstalling from the original disc as well as downloading different versions of the game. no effect.

the games in question are:

Battalion wars 2
    Super mario galaxy 2
    excitetruck
    excitebots
    sonic and sega all stars racing

my other games all worked fine.

I ran a syscheck, it took me to the bootmii screen where I couldn't seem to control anything. but I will post that as soon as i work it out.

Additional info: using dx2 latest rev. sys menu ver. 4.1e HD format WBFS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I travel a lot so I would really like to get this working so I don't have to cart my stack of discs around.

edit: I know there are already similar threads like this but the others where a bit bare so I wanted to make this thread and give as much info as I could so there would be a greater chance someone could help.

2. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    There's your problem right there; a majority of homebrew programs don't like WBFS partitioned hard drives. Use FAT32 instead (and the games will still remain in WBFS format), and voila! Your programs will suddenly stop crashing. If you're worried about FAT32's 4GB file limitation, don't be, games that exceed the FAT32 specifications are automatically split.

3. anti-villian
    OP

United States
    Thankyou! I will try that.

4. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    scan wbfs for errors using wiimms wwt

I doubt wbfs itself is the cause, like he said the games still use wbfs, just as images of the filesystem instead
    But spitching to fat32 is usefull by isself imho
    If you really want to do it consider wbfs2fat

5. the_randomizer

United States
    No need to use converters (unless you want to convert WBFS files to ISO images so you can use them with the emulator Dolphin), keep them as WBFS but use FAT32 and not NTFS. There are plenty of reliable third party programs that do what Windows doesn't do when it comes to hard drive formatting. Back up your data BEFORE formatting!

6. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    You obviously dont understand what wbfs2fat do.... It converts a WBFS formatted HDD to FAT32. It doesnt change the way games are stored or loaded.

7. the_randomizer

United States
    Fine, I'll shut up then :glare:

8. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    Before using wbfs2fat, do what Psyblade suggested and check the game integrity by using wit/wwt tools.
    Some (old) WBFS managers had problem with marking sectors as used or free, and it resulted in already present game's data being overwritten by a new one.

Wwt will check if each used sectors are correctly binded to their own games.
    If you have corrupted games, you will need to fix them before using WBFS2FAT (I think you need to have a corruption free WBFS partition before using it safely, but it will create a recovery file, just in case).

wit and wwt are command line tools, you can look or ask in Wiimm's topic to learn how to use them.

9. anti-villian
    OP

United States
    I think I may know my problem.

I believe this freezing my occur because of the hard drive I am using. It's a small WD HD powered through USB from my wii. I have noticed when I let my wii idle for a moment when I come back the wii will freeze for a moment while it reloads everything. I think that's what is happening but it's happening while I'm actually playing and for some reason this causes the game to enter and endless loop in. I may possibly be way off with this though.

Anyway I will scan my HD and run wbfs2fat and let you know how it goes, i think that has a good chance of fixing it.

10. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    USB powered HDDs works fine with the wii, that's not the problem. You might take a look at the hdd sleep problem. Anyway, convert it to FAT32, WBFS is not so good ;)

11. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden

Some USB powered HDDs are crap though, and basicly requires dual-power.
    You can pick up a dual-usb-power cable for a couple of bucks and see if that helps.

But my bet is the sleep problem as well.

12. taslomk

Newcomer taslomk Newbie

United States
    What else could cause this. Can old versions of CIOS cause it? I too have problems with random freezes on most all games but the same drive works fine on two other WII units. The one that is giving problems is a LU64+ and had to be downgraded from 4.3U to 4.2U. Wad games seem to work fine but the backups give me the trouble.