multiman question about game updates

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Iceninecynic, May 24, 2013.

1. Iceninecynic
    OP

Iceninecynic Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2012
    United States
    With the multiman server being down, I can't use it to check for game updates anymore, but when I launch a game, I'm prompted about a game update. Are these safe to do?

2. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    it depends on which firmware you currently are, and which firmware the game update requires.
    If you are on cfw v4.40, and the game update require a 4.40 firmware or bellow, then it's fine ! the update will work.

If it asks you to update the game, it will only update the game (not the console's Firmware).
    You can always delete the game update in the "Game data" menu at the top of the game column.

If you update a game, and now it requires a firmware you don't have, then it will ask you to update the console's firmware.
    don't accept the console's update.

Alternatively, you can use external software (on your computer) to download game updates as packages, these update managers usually let you know which firmware is required for the update, so you know if you can install it or not.

Kosake and Iceninecynic like this.
  3. Iceninecynic
    OP

Iceninecynic Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2012
    United States
    Awesome! That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks for the very useful info!

4. mschumacher69

mschumacher69 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2013
    Planet Earth
    Not entirely true, all 4.xx games/updates work on any 4.xx CFW, so even if you have a 4.30 CFW and you try to load a game/update requiring 4.40, mM would patch it and it would work.

This would still be the case as long as the 4.xx keys are still the same; they have been so far.

Iceninecynic likes this.
  5. Kosake

Kosake Newbie

Newcomer
    May 26, 2013
    United States
    The Interwebs
    Was wondering this myself as I just modded my PS3 and found that the MM servers are down. Got exactly the answers I was looking for, thanks! =D

6. Iceninecynic
    OP

Iceninecynic Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2012
    United States
    Thanks everyone