Hacking Multi-ROM essentials - File sizes: which games stay on your cart?

MrOldboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd only add games as I want to play them and keep the ones that I have not finished. I'd rather always have space for new games than try to fit as much as I can to take with me. I'd eventually fill it up, but for the time being I would only have maybe 3 or 4 games on it. I don't bounce around a lot playing games so I stick with a few then move on when I finish or get bored.

AgentChet

Trunks, The Man.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, Breadwin. Only up to 64GB, though, and to be honest, you'd be hard-pressed to actually fill a 64GB card, even without trimming.

I think 32GB will be more than enough for most people who don't need every game that's ever come out in their region.

As far as the PSP solution, if you still own a regular PSP, you should totally get the dual-slot CR5400 adapter. I had one with two 16GB cards in it, and could fit thousands of games and dozens of emus on it, all at once.

Funny.. I just bought a 64GB micro sd card.. :ph34r: Glad to confirm it will work for my purposes. hehehehe :P

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

BMinkie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im afraid to use a trimming tool might make my gateway brick because im modifying something lol

I have 2 8 gig class 4 sandish micro sd cards

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would that be possible? Once you are already in emuNAND mode, or Gateway Mode, the dangerous part is essentially over. Most people who brick, only do so when running diagnostics and actually booting into Gateway Mode in the first place.

I can confirm, at least from my own personal experience, that even corrupted flashes of 3DS ROMs doesn't brick your device. I was trying to play Disney Epic Mickey last night, and my microSD card got jostled loose of my laptop during the disk image process. It still showed up on my 3DS, but I got errors when trying to boot it. I just reflashed the image again, and it worked perfectly.

Trimming ROMs doesn't change a single file that the Gateway 3DS card installs, and doesn't touch the SD card or any partitions whatsoever. Just makes it possible to fit bigger games on smaller cards, or more games on a multi-ROM cart.

JorgeVdB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Are there any cases where the EUR version of a game has a smaller file size than its USA counterpart? Just curious

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
When multi-ROM support is finally released for the Gateway 3DS, which games will you always have loaded onto your microSD?

Also, if you haven't already gotten the 3DS ROM Tool, I highly recommend to download it, and to trim all of your ROMs. There isn't a single ROM currently available that I can't fit on a regular 4GB microSDHC card. My entire collection of close to 50 games takes up 36.9GB. Before trimming, it was well over 50GB.

I am going to get a 32GB microSDHC card, and fill it with nothing but the best.
[snip]

All of this together comes in at 28.63GB, which should easily fit on any 32GB card.

Check my file sizes against yours. You'll see why trimming is so critical.

might be a really tight fit none the less, as 32GiB translates to 29GB. Add (or better detract) some FS overhead and partially filled sectors and you will most likely have to leave one of those games off the card.

Are there any cases where the EUR version of a game has a smaller file size than its USA counterpart? Just curious

at least for the NDS it was mostly the other way around, as european releases tend to have more languages included.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that I have seen, but there are many US games that have not been dumped yet. Hence why I have the EUR versions of Bravely Default, Naruto Powerful Shippuden and Project X Zone. In almost all cases, the EUR ROMs are slightly larger than the US versions. If I could rip individual languages like I could on PSP ISOs, I totally would. I am pretty miserly about my storage space.

JorgeVdB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, sadly many roms sites seem to be missing a lot of games, or only have either USA or EUR version up. I'd love if it was possible to keep all DS and 3DS games on the same cart, even so 32GB may just be enough. I'm holding my money until GW releases FW 2.0 and I see the feedback, but my 3DS will definitely have both Harvest Moon, Rune Factory 4, both Zeldas, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers and Shin Megami Tensei IV. I'm so saddened that there is no metroidvania for the 3DS (and might be there never will...) T_T

So is there no disadvantage to trimming? (allow me to give an example in PSP terms) It's not like the rom is compressed like a .cso but runs slower than a normal .iso in PSP?

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same exact speed, from what I have seen so far. Then again, I never noticed much of a difference with CSOs on my PSP, either. Now, if you remove the update partition, you cannot reverse that, and it may cause any patches in the future for that specific ROM to fail to be able to be applied, but there's a simple solution; just acquire the untouched ROM again, same way you got your original one.

I sat there and flashed and tested every single one of my ROMs, individually, after trimming them and removing the update. So, I can at least attest that all of the games I listed work 100% fine when trimmed and de-updated.

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the rom tool, you may not have to even type out the whole name. I haven't used it before, but you may be able to type the first few characters of the rom name, then press tab and it does the rest for you. At least that's how it works for most things in cmd or terminal.

Anyway, I plan on swappingthe 64gb microSD in my phone with a 32gb I have since I don't really use all the space.

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tbh, Muli-ROM isn't a huge deal for me as I tend to always finish one game before moving onto the next one. I'll probably just fill the microSD with games and when I'm done with them, replace them with others.

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Virtue's Last Reward is ~400 Mbytes only in the EU version, but it has no English voice track, only japanese (as grating as japanese dubs generally sound to me, this one isn't that bad).

Heien

Trophies
XP
Country
Mario Kart 7 will stay on my cart till i stop playing with it. Maybe Super Smash Bros will stay after it's release but can't say yet.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
do you guys know if download play works on trimed roms? It didn't on DS roms so I wonder if it's the same for 3ds.

keldoggg

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
babyshambles.net
XP
Country
'Tbh, Muli-ROM isn't a huge deal for me as I tend to always finish one game before moving onto the next one. I'll probably just fill the microSD with games and when I'm done with them, replace them with others. '

My kids are the opposite, they'll play a game for a while then want a different one in. It was dead easy with their DSi's whan all ROMS were on one memory card, but the current one ROM to one card is a pain the backside.

I know most people here seem to have Gateways but any idea if a multiROM memory card will soon be on the offing for the r4i?

xBleedingSoulx

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
'Tbh, Muli-ROM isn't a huge deal for me as I tend to always finish one game before moving onto the next one. I'll probably just fill the microSD with games and when I'm done with them, replace them with others. '

My kids are the opposite, they'll play a game for a while then want a different one in. It was dead easy with their DSi's whan all ROMS were on one memory card, but the current one ROM to one card is a pain the backside.

I know most people here seem to have Gateways but any idea if a multiROM memory card will soon be on the offing for the r4i?

From what I've read, the r4i hardware isn't capable of being upgraded to support multiROM. Apparently Gateway made it so their hardware was upgradeable to support the future release of multiROM, where as the clones didn't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh