Multi-ROM essentials - File sizes: which games stay on your cart?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Neo Draven, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Neo Draven
    OP

Neo Draven End Boss of the Entire Internet

May 3, 2010
    United States
    When multi-ROM support is finally released for the Gateway 3DS, which games will you always have loaded onto your microSD?

Also, if you haven't already gotten the 3DS ROM Tool, I highly recommend to download it, and to trim all of your ROMs. There isn't a single ROM currently available that I can't fit on a regular 4GB microSDHC card. My entire collection of close to 50 games takes up 36.9GB. Before trimming, it was well over 50GB.

I am going to get a 32GB microSDHC card, and fill it with nothing but the best.

Batman - Arkham Origins - Blackgate - 688MB
    Bravely Default - 3.23GB
    Disney Epic Micky - Power of Illusion - 278MB
    Fire Emblem - Awakening - 1.07GB
    Harvest Moon - A Tale of Two Towns - 256MB (must've forgotten to trim this one)
    Harvest Moon 3D - A New Beginning - 341MB
    Heroes of Ruin - 464MB
    Kid Icarus - 1.57GB
    Kingdom Hearts 3D - Dream Drop Distance - 1.78GB
    Luigi's Mansion - Dark Moon - 842MB
    Mario Kart 7 - 637MB
    Mario Tennis Open - 251MB
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 1.77GB
    Naruto Powerful Shippuden - 386MB
    New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 370MB
    Paper Mario - Sticker Star - 524MB
    Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - 788MB
    Project X Zone - 465MB
    Resident Evil - The Mercenaries - 666MB
    Resident Evil - Revelations - 3.14GB
    Sims 3 Pets - 388MB
    Sonic - Lost World - 1.25GB
    Sonic Generations - 606MB
    Star Fox 64 3D - 575MB
    Super Mario 3D Land - 289MB
    Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition - 1.64GB
    Tales of the Abyss - 1.54GB
    The Legend of Zelda- Ocarina of Time - 454MB
    The Legend of Zelda - Link Between Worlds - 679MB
    Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - 869MB
    Zero Escape - Virtue's Last Reward - 824MB

All of this together comes in at 28.63GB, which should easily fit on any 32GB card.

Check my file sizes against yours. You'll see why trimming is so critical.

Zouiguipopo likes this.

2. mr. fancypants

mr. fancypants that´s ´Sir´ for you!

Jul 16, 2013
    Netherlands
    right here, right now
    nice list but it would take much time to browse through all the games:P

but you forgot professor layton and the azran legacy!

Neo Draven likes this.
  3. badbob001

badbob001 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2008
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if Gateway purposely sticks to FAT32-only support so that when the 8GB+ roms come out, even after trimming, they will come out with a new card supporting exFAT. Something similar happened with DS flash cards during the SD / SDHC transition.

Neo Draven likes this.
  4. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    You know, I have yet to ever actually play any Professor Layton games, but I usually get them just to satisfy the completionist in me. I really like all of the Phoenix Wright games, but I just haven't taken to Prof. Layton yet.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Assuming that you won't be able to split the ROM, which you probably will be able to do with some tinkering, just like in the case of the Wii. Moreover, why do you thing 8GB 3DS games are on their way when even the PSVita tops at 4GB as of today? I don't see a reason why a 3DS game would require this much space - it'd have to be of truly epic proportions.

6. mr. fancypants

mr. fancypants that´s ´Sir´ for you!

Jul 16, 2013
    Netherlands
    right here, right now
    they are really good and some knowledge could help in the 'ultimate cross-over layton vs. wright' game ( i started playing PW after i heard thet ther would be an crossover

7. Breadwin

Breadwin Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2014
    United States
    Does Gateway support SDXC and 64gig cards ?

Neo Draven likes this.
  8. qUaK3R

qUaK3R Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2007
    I have a 16GB card.. I think there's going to be some space left when I finish trying the roms I downloaded. Some because they are too big and not as good as I thought, thus, making them a no go, others because I don't like them.

I have 4 cards for my old PSP, making a total of 32GB, and between PSP games, PS roms, gb and gba roms, snes roms, mega drive roms, etc, I can't find space enough to fit everything I wanted in those cards :(

When I test all 3DS roms I'll come back here to share my conclusion.

9. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    Yes, Breadwin. Only up to 64GB, though, and to be honest, you'd be hard-pressed to actually fill a 64GB card, even without trimming.

I think 32GB will be more than enough for most people who don't need every game that's ever come out in their region.

As far as the PSP solution, if you still own a regular PSP, you should totally get the dual-slot CR5400 adapter. I had one with two 16GB cards in it, and could fit thousands of games and dozens of emus on it, all at once.

Breadwin likes this.
  10. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    Then again, I have the feeling that homebrew is just on the horizon. Once a solid N64 emu is released, I will probably spend the next hundred hours on nothing but Goldeneye 007. Best damned FPS in history.

11. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Can someone post a video on how to use the rom tool? I'm still kinda iffy on the process.

weatMod likes this.
  12. Zouiguipopo

Zouiguipopo Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2010
    France
    How to "trimming" games ?? :O all of my games has 512Mo or 1Go or 2/4Go so it's very big !
    Thanks You :D
    PS : i think 64Gb Card isn't supported :/ (but idk)

13. condiczek

condiczek Member

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2011
    Poland
    I think that formatting as FAT32 will be enough. Got 64gb microSDXC in my drive recorder which supports up to 32gb.

14. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    http://filetrip.net/3ds-downloads/utilities/download-3ds-rom-tool-31-f32469.html

This is the tool I use. You do need a rudimentary understanding of command prompts, though. No GUI whatsoever.

It's pretty simple to use. I just put all of my 3DS ROMs in the C:/ directory, so there was a shorter address to type in.

Then, open up a command prompt (Start, Run, 'cmd' without the apostrophes). Type "cd.." twice, and it should have you at C:/.

Put the rom_tool.exe right there in the C:/ drive along with all your ROMs. Then, use the following commands.

"rom_tool -t (name of your ROM).3ds" is the command to trim.
    "rom_tool -u (name of your ROM).3ds" is the command to delete any update partition, usually saving about 30MB or so.

That's it. To make it even easier, I renamed the ROM I was currently trimming to "1.3ds", then I trimmed it, removed the update partition, and renamed it back to what it was. Far less typing.

If you need any assistance, let me know and I will try to help.

Zouiguipopo likes this.
  15. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
  16. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
  17. qUaK3R

qUaK3R Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2007
    Neo, it's easier just to put the rom_tool.exe in the roms folder, hold shift, and click "open command window here", then do the rest as usual ;)

Neo Draven likes this.
  18. Neo Draven
    OP

May 3, 2010
    United States
    I never knew that command. I knew it was possible, but couldn't figure out how to do it. I hate when I miss things that are so simple they make you look retarded.

19. qUaK3R

qUaK3R Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2007
    It doesn't make you look retarded, OS's are full of crap, and shortcuts that only a hand full of people know about xD

Neo Draven likes this.
  20. Zouiguipopo

Zouiguipopo Member

Newcomer
    May 20, 2010
    France
    Thanks You Neo Draven for the tool and how to use it ! it's very easy and wooow it's amazing :D thanks !!

Neo Draven likes this.