mSD card not reading in PC

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by 3DPiper, Jun 7, 2011.

Jun 7, 2011

mSD card not reading in PC by 3DPiper at 6:09 PM (479 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. 3DPiper
    OP

Member 3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

United States
    My microSD card won't read in my PC, it keeps saying 'card needs to be formatted'.. Yet it reads fine in my NDSL..

I don't want to format and lose all my games/savs..

Can this be fixed?

2. Masked Ranger

Member Masked Ranger GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    Try a different mSD reader. If you're using the one that came with your AceKard, it's a piece of crap.

3. 3DPiper
    OP

Member 3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

United States
    No, we've used multiple card readers/usb adapters and multiple machines...

Not sure whats going on..

4. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Member NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU Now with extra redundancy!

Australia
    Can you access the files to back them up? Try a backup program off the internet (google) to back up the SD before formatting? Otherwise there is not much more to do than start again.
    Your SD is probably corrupted.

5. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Also how big is your SD card. XP does not have native support for SDHC which is for cards over 4GB. You can test this on multiple computers, but if they are all XP it won't work on any of them. Find the XP hotfix or preferably a Vista/Windows 7 box

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428

Let's assume you have tried a Vista/Win7. We're going by the odd assumption that it works on the DS, your only option is probably to use DSFTP and suck the files off. Note a couple of things

1) The wifi ds library sucks terribly. So be prepared for disconnects and other randomness
    2) It could be very slow depending on various factors. You might want to prioritise what you pull off. Since you seem to be concerned about you save file pull those off before deciding if your ROMS are worth it (I assume you have backups of those)

DO NOT FORMAT THE SD CARD YET

Take these save files and test them on another SD card you know is good. Again this will verify that the FTP transfer worked ok and the files are ok. Once you have tested all your saves, reformat the old SD card and start over.

Note that your situation is very odd. I am not even sure if the data you will get off the FTP transfer won't be horribly corrupted in some way even if the transfer succeeds.

If you tried these without success then you're pretty much SOL. Refer to the Panasonic Formatter and start over.