MPlayer DVD?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ltfx, Mar 21, 2009.

Mar 21, 2009

MPlayer DVD? by ltfx at 5:42 AM (2,500 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. ltfx
    OP

Newcomer ltfx Member

United States
    Is this the newest and best way to play DVD's on my soft modded wii? I just successfully soft modded it and I am trying to find the newest version of the best DVD playback app for my Wii. Advice?

2. geishroy

Member geishroy GBAtemp Fan

United States
    use a standalone dvd player?

3. InfernoZeus

Member InfernoZeus GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
  4. Matt93

Member Matt93 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Shut up.

5. ltfx
    OP

Newcomer ltfx Member

United States
    thanks everyone!

6. geishroy

United States
    lol, no.
    why the fuck would you use the wii's open source buggy software over a standalone dvd player or something built to run them?

it just doesn't make any sense. I'm not saying that the wii's software is bad, and it's great to see people trying to make the wii into something it isn't.
    but come on, a good cheap dvd player today can even upconvert a standard dvd into something that looks decent.

7. Matt93

United States
    You don't have to be a smartass. He's asking the best way to play DVDs on his Wii. That's all he wants to know, not that he should just get a standalone DVD player. Heck I have a standalone DVD player and a Wii right next to it and I think its cool to be able to play DVDs on my Wii. The Wii was built to play DVDs in the first place but Nintendo pulled it at the last moment.

Therefore you need to shut up. You aren't helping him.

8. geishroy

United States
    if the wii was built to play dvds in the first place the fucking thing would play dvds.
    and I wasn't being a smart ass. I use a stand alone blu ray player for all of my media. it's just more convenient, the upscaling is better on standard dvds, and the input and output is better then my ps3. now if you want to quit being an asshole, that would be great.

9. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    @geishroy
    The wii was originally intended to play dvd and it still does, but doesn't have the right drivers to use the function. Thats where Mplayer and DVDx come in.
    Also, without this function it would be impossible to play backups (which are DVD).

and @ everyone else
    if he thinks a DVD player is better, then thats HIS OPINION
    (although its not the best way to play DVD on the wii)

10. swf3

Banned swf3 Banned

United Kingdom
    is there a channel ?
    is there a link to it as a wad?
    thanks for any info

11. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    The Wii was built to play DVDs but Nintendo didnt want to pay Royalties so they removed the feature, but its still there.

Also, the majority of standalone DVD players are region locked. With the Wii, you can watch out of region movies!

12. geishroy

United States
    @tj_cool
    stfu, why are you talking to me.
    if the wii was supposed to play dvds, the wii would play dvds out of the box.
    that's not rocket science.
    provided modding allows it to do these functions, it does not change this fact.

@tj_cool again
    it's not that I think a dvd player is better, it's that I know a dvd player is better.
    any dvd player will beat the quality both in sound and video that the wii can output.
    though again, i give it up for developers for trying to write good software for the wii.
    and i'm not saying that mplayer sucks, because i have tinkered with all of the mplayers/geexbox/etc and they are well designed for what they are running on.
    i could not recommend it as a really great solution to playing media if you have something else to do it on.

13. Matt93

United States
    Ugh, I don't want to have to deal with you...

14. InfernoZeus

United Kingdom
  15. swf3

Banned swf3 Banned

United Kingdom
  16. InfernoZeus

United Kingdom
    Download the rar, it's in there...

17. noir

Newcomer noir Advanced Member

United States
    Take both your hands, pull your ass cheeks apart, and pull your head out of your ass.
    As it has already been mentioned, you didn't even answer the question being asked. "Standalone DVD player" is not a way to play DVDs on the Wii. Nobody asked the best way to play DVDs, nobody asked about your opinions on quality. You're just being a dick.

The Wii has always had the capability to play DVDs (it does have a DVD-ROM you know), just not the software functionality to do it. However, this still isn't the point. Some people want to be able to play DVDs on their Wii; myself included. I've got a shitty TV anyway, I don't really care to bother to have an extra set of wires to play DVDs, when my Wii plays everything else and is able to play DVDs.

18. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    geishroy = idiot.

Done and done [​IMG].

To TC, if you're gonna use your wii as a media center, I suppose having Dragon Media Player (Very good MP3 player), GeeXbox (Good USB media reading), MPlayer CE (All-In-One Player), and Mplayer DVD tops it all.

19. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    The fact of the matter is their are media players available to use on the wii, and some are very good, "AS WE EXPECT" they obviously aint going to over run other ways of playing media, but theyr'e in with a shout.
    Their is simply no need to diss the use of them! you either use them or you don't....simple.
    And as for someone asking for help, he/she should get a answer they expect not crap about the wiis crap dvd playback, HD or whatever, leave that out of the topic!

20. geishroy

United States
    I never dissed the use of them you twit, i actually acknowledged the fact that the developers do a good job in writing their programs for the wii, but there is no way you can recommend the wii as a media player of any sort.
    i could understand if this was the year 2000 when a dvd player ran $350 and the wii was your only choice of watching media, but its 2009, you can find a quality player at a pawnshop for little to no money.