Homebrew MPlayer CE vs. Geexbox

Metathesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using both for a while (have latest versions), and everyone seems to say MPlayer CE is better.

But for me at least, Geexbox plays mp4 files a lot better, it reads my usb drive while MPlayer CE doesn't, and simply crashes less often overall. And geexbox does that thing with the wiimote so you don't have to keep waking it up when you want to use it...
MPlayer CE loads faster, but that's all i've seen...

So am I missing something? lol. Is there something that MPlayer CE can do that geexbox can't? I'm just wondering

Oh, and I've seen other media players out there... are any of them worthwhile to try if I already have these two?

murfMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Metathesis said:
I've been using both for a while (have latest versions), and everyone seems to say MPlayer CE is better.

But for me at least, Geexbox plays mp4 files a lot better, it reads my usb drive while MPlayer CE doesn't, and simply crashes less often overall. And geexbox does that thing with the wiimote so you don't have to keep waking it up when you want to use it...
MPlayer CE loads faster, but that's all i've seen...

So am I missing something? lol. Is there something that MPlayer CE can do that geexbox can't? I'm just wondering

Oh, and I've seen other media players out there... are any of them worthwhile to try if I already have these two?

using geexbox here. for the same reasons

bin01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Metathesis said:

But for me at least, Geexbox plays mp4 files a lot better, it reads my usb drive while MPlayer CE doesn't, and simply crashes less often overall.
media player DOES read usb....
ì have both of then for compatibility reasons, they are almost the same thing though

madeirabhoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
i use geexbox only because i could never get mplayer CE to see my usb drive, which is weird as its a standard setup, geexbox can see my fat32 1st partition usb drive, and most people on here seem to use mplayer ce with no problems. Even weirder is mplayer ce must be installed okay as it can now see and play files on a usb memory stick and sd card, but not my usb 2.0 drive, but geexbox can, weird!

I was stuck in limbo for a while as i couldnt get geexbox to see my wiimotes but since i fixed that it works fine. Id like to try mplayer CE to compare but unless i figure out what im doing wrong its geexbox for me

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
MPlayer CE has far surpassed Geexbox in most things except a few minor compatability issues with USB, some media types, and lack of NTFS support.

Keep both if those minor things affect your setup, but MPlayer CE is way more up to date, particularly with USB 2.0 support.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the aspect ratio stuff in mplayer CE is much better then in Geexbox, but mplayer CE subtitle's are small, I have a big flatscreen, but if you don't you've got a problem

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
the aspect ratio stuff in mplayer CE is much better then in Geexbox, but mplayer CE subtitle's are small, I have a big flatscreen, but if you don't you've got a problem
check mplayer.conf you can change sub sizes!!!

also for people with USB problems, check my newest topic, you have to test USB Devices!

Midnightzak

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I prefer GeeXBox for 2 reasons:

1. Sees my USB HDD without any issues
2. Loads directories TONS faster than MPlayer

I have alot of movies ripped to my drive all stored in a single folder and when MPlayer sees this folder with approx 50 movies, it is slow as hell giving me the list of titles. Even worse when I show it my music directory with 300 folders in it. I'd probably switch to MPlayer if this directory listing issue didn't exist...

So instead for me it's GeeXBox and DragonMedia Player!

ThaKillerKlown

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand how dragon and geexbox can view pretty much anything you plug into the Wii yet MPlayer cant. Fix the damn thing so we can use it.
moogle.gif

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I don't understand how dragon and geexbox can view pretty much anything you plug into the Wii yet MPlayer cant. Fix the damn thing so we can use it
pathetic post, you know what I can't be assed replying but I am, iv'e said this more than once for crying out loud, have you read wiibrew or the news feed?
http://code.google.com/p/mplayer-ce/

*Hepl* "us" FIX the damn USB problem in ehci or the usb driver itself, do a small test to help. grrrr

mousex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OSW said:
MPlayer CE has far surpassed Geexbox in most things except a few minor compatability issues with USB, some media types, and lack of NTFS support.

Keep both if those minor things affect your setup, but MPlayer CE is way more up to date, particularly with USB 2.0 support.

I wouldn't call NTFS support a minor feature.

ThaKillerKlown

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UranusKiller said:
QUOTE said:
I don't understand how dragon and geexbox can view pretty much anything you plug into the Wii yet MPlayer cant. Fix the damn thing so we can use it
pathetic post, you know what I can't be assed replying but I am, iv'e said this more than once for crying out loud, have you read wiibrew or the news feed?

*Hepl* "us" FIX the damn USB problem in ehci or the usb driver itself, do a small test to help. grrrr

I'd love to however...

"Users with system menu 3.4 or higher will not be able to use USB2.0 with MPlayerCE because the DVDx installer for this system does not have an advanced mode. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it."

I have DVDx on my 4.0 Wii and I am NOT downgrading so I can run USB 2.0... Geexbox works just fine.

I really dont think its worth the trouble.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I'd love to however...

"Users with system menu 3.4 or higher will not be able to use USB2.0 with MPlayerCE because the DVDx installer for this system does not have an advanced mode. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it."

I have DVDx on my 4.0 Wii and I am NOT downgrading so I can run USB 2.0... Geexbox works just fine.

I really dont think its worth the trouble.
i'm pretty sure you have all cIOS for usb loaders installed and patched ios60 or whatever, it will install as normal using old dvdx installer aswell.

madeirabhoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
UranusKiller said:
QUOTE said:

hi uranuskiller

i ran your test.

my wii is 3.2e with usb cios installed, dvdx installed, rev 13a installed

i have a verbatim 1tb partitioned into two, first partition fat32, 2nd partition wbfs. this was partitioned on a mac, there are no settings whatsoever in mac osx disc utility to specify a partition as being primary or not. its not that i cant find them, they arent there. the only option is under advanced, you can chose partition scheme which can ge GUID partition table, apple partition map or master boot record. i chose master boot record as it say this is recommended for DOS or windows.

usb loader gx plays fine with my wbfs partition
geexbox plays fine with my fat32 partition
mplayer ce doesnt see either partition

on running the test program i get

usb device test program v0.4
running at 0x13730000
ehcl module loaded
initialising usb device
usb2 init -2201
usb device not detected, report 'usb2 init' value
press home or reset to exit

there is no log left on the sd card.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i use mplayer because i still can't sync my wiimote with geexbox.

and i don't understand where people get the balls to bitch about free software.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality