Hardware MP3 audio very low

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All my kids got a 3DS for Christmas (four of them!)..

I think the only complaint so far is:

the audio level on playing MP3s is very low..

even with the volulme turned all the way up, they can barely hear it..

all other sounds/audio/gameplay is fine..

These are rips from our own CDs and the volume level is fine elsewhere..

Is there something we can do to make MP3 audio louder?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Yes, use a flashcard like DStwo or R4iGold.cn + Moonshell homebrew.

The native OS of the 3DS caps the volume at a very low level and can't currently be adjusted (I presume because Nintendo is afraid of lawsuits by stupid people who damage their ears).

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow.. If that is true it is very lame..

We haven't had much luck with DSTwo+moonshell.. we can play tunes once or twice, then it says it can't read from the card anymore (just moonshell, everything else works)..

Plus, the kids are super stoked about the MP3 playback capabilities of the 3DS: variable speed playback, karoke, animations/games to the beat, visuals, etc.. just wish
it were louder..

Warrior522

"In all things, balance."
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We haven't had much luck with DSTwo+moonshell.. we can play tunes once or twice, then it says it can't read from the card anymore (just moonshell, everything else works)...

The movie player plays music at a volume much higher and clearer than Moonshell; have you tried that?

ShineStar

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you change the sound output in the settings of 3DS Sound from Surround to Stereo it increases the volume a little. Not by much, but enough that you notice the difference.

Reactions: 1 person

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I know with the camera app, when I launch it, the intro jingle is loud for a split second, but then is deamplified for the remainder of its use. Same with the music app. Nintendo is forcing the volume on those down, but unlike games (such as the 3D classics that cn be very loud) that users can't alter, the audio for those apps are provided by the user which can be very loud in the first place.

Even when set on Stereo, the audio is still too low for me with those apps. Nintendo should at least supply the option not to force deamplification, even if it has to be set everytime those apps are launched.

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The movie player plays music at a volume much higher and clearer than Moonshell; have you tried that?

Yes.. But, as I said, there is so many "fun" things in the audio player they want to do.. But the audio
is so low if two people have music playing at the same time they have to hold it up to their ears to hear
their own audio..

If you change the sound output in the settings of 3DS Sound from Surround to Stereo it increases the volume a little.
Not by much, but enough that you notice the difference.

Thanks, I will mention that to them!

Have you tried headphones? I dont bother with the stupid speakers much so I just pop on some beats and the sound is almost as good as my iPod.

Yes, the do all have earbuds.. While that is an option, it is just so amazing how low the MP3 playback audio is verses
gameplay audio..

The only reason why the volume is so damn low:
It may damage your ears.
I say good job Nintendo, the volume is okay I guess.

Then why isn't the volume low during gameplay? or videos?

Even when set on Stereo, the audio is still too low for me (snip)......
Nintendo should at least supply the option not to force deamplification, even if it has to be set everytime those apps are launched.

Agreed!

Seaking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont know about you, but when i have my headphones in the MP3 audio is exactly the same as when i ripped it on the computer.

maybe you should get better headphones?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/JVC-Soft-Marshmallow-Headphones-Orange/16439885
those are what i have (not that color though, i have purple) maybe you should invest into some of those?

SynnFrost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't you manually make the mp3 files louder with a program like Audacity? Or does the 3DS cap that too? Usually if I'm listening to music, I have headphones on, so it doesn't really bother me.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I do find the audio cap annoying when I want to have it play out loud, but I get mad when I go play Excitebike because if I forget to turn down the volume, I get a sure reminder. x_x

nicklessguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why don't you normalize then to the 0db limit by software on PC before copying them to the SD Card?
That's what i do. Most CDs have a LOTS of free space on the sound scale and much room for boosting.
It changes most of them from barely audible to pleasantly booming on my 3DS.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bought this headphone amp, it works great
41uxWjiuIyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details

From what I've read on forums, I'm convinced there are some 3DS systems with adequate volume, and some with gimped volume. Also, I played a 3DS kiosk at Target and the volume was way louder than mine.

Also I agree the mp3 player is great (realtime pitch/tempo control, meowing, etc)

Seaking

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've read on forums, I'm convinced there are some 3DS systems with adequate volume, and some with gimped volume. Also, I played a 3DS kiosk at Target and the volume was way louder than mine.
this may be the case, as my speakers are really loud.

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you looked at any of the links I posted, many of the forums had people posting about the audio being too low even with headphones..

Plus- we have four kids and we got them all 3DSs for Christmas.. Half of the fun of the 3DS is interacting with the other people sitting
around you (if you have some).. Playing games together or showing each other pics or drawings or listening to songs.. The music
player is great for kids, very interactive and fun! But it looses a lot of that when no one can hear anything over the least amount of
noise in the room.. If anyone talks or there is an room noise at all, no one can hear their 3DS.. The way it is now, you have to
say "ok, everybody be quiet and listen to this playback" and then the whole room better be quiet..

We went to 3DSs from DSLs, and they were LOUD..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off