Moving from RD4 (non-clone) to Acekard 2

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by OncleJulien, Jan 5, 2010.

Jan 5, 2010
  1. OncleJulien
    OP

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    thanks in advance for any links or info you can send my way:

i've been up and running on a dslite with an original rd4 for a few months now, but wanted to make the move to sdhc storage, so i dealextrme'd an acekard 2. now, for the most part, i think i have things running, love the user interface and the user friendliness, but i was wondering if there's an 'acekard for former rd4 users' thread or site that can sort out a few lingering issues. i have a few games that wont run, wont respond to controls properly (starfy, new super mario bros), utilize existing save files, or require a restart after a white screen. i love the new card, that's for sure, but i'd like to learn what sort of things i can do to have better game compatibility as well as find out what new homebrew apps i can now run that i couldnt on the old card.

thanks!

ps: i'm running the latest official firmware, but if i should run an alternate or older, let a brother know.

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    Switch to AKAIO. It's far superior then the official firmware.

3. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    +1 for running AKAIO. When I switched from an R4 to an Acekard running AKAIO, I had no trouble with my old save files. I didn't even have to convert them.

Have a look at the AKAIO wiki. It has a lot of information.
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php?title=AKAIO

4. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    +1 again for AKAIO

I switched from a m3i0 (because I was waiting for a Sakura Update for Clean Z:ST) to the Ak2i & I also didn't need to alter most of my save files (only Z:ST was a problem)

5. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    i went from using an R4, to an acekard + AKAIO, cannot recommend highly enough

6. OncleJulien
    OP

Member OncleJulien tool of peers

United States
    thanks for all the great info folks, i'm up and running fairly well now, but a variety of the games either dont see the save files as existing, or state they are corrupt...i'll do some hunting around, but youve pointed me in the right direction, thanks again.

7. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Are you using AKAIO 1.5.1 by any chance ?? - I have read that some people have been having that type of trouble with this version. I've stuck with v1.5 so far - & apart from one 'lockup' on Z:ST I've had no trouble

If you're not using 1.5.1 then make sure the sav name is EXACTLY the same, & if it still having trouble then perhaps the game save will need converting (most people recommend Shuny Web page)

One other thing I've been told is need to alter the sav file size (IIRC in AKAIO highlight the game, then press [Y] then [Y] again calls up the ROM info) & one of the options allows you to change the sav file size
    - This is what I had to do with Z:ST - I had to change it from 'unknown/auto' to '8M' & it worked fine