Moving EmuNAND Partition to SysNAND (Linux)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ChrisCerne, Mar 2, 2015.

1. ChrisCerne
    OP

ChrisCerne Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2012
    United States
    Hey guys,

I downgraded my 9.2 3DS to 4.2 with the Gateway Launcher.dat so I could use the profile exploit. Before the downgrade, however, I backed up my 9.2 SysNAND. I wrote that backup to an SD Card that can successfully boot up 9.2 in EmuNAND. I did lose my original NAND.bin because I broke my flashdrive, but I still have the SD Card with the partition on it. This leaves me with no other choice but to extract EmuNAND from my SD card and write it to my SysNAND in order to get back to my original 9.2 NAND.

So far, I've already extracted the 9.2 EmuNAND partition from my SD Card using these commands below.

PHP:
    sudo dd if=/dev/sde of=dummy.bin count=1
    sudo dd 
    if=/dev/sde of=nand.bin count=1 skip=1931264
    sudo dd 
    if=/dev/sde of=nand.bin count=1931263 skip=1 seek=1
    This should have backed up my Toshiba NAND, as the original NAND size was 943MiB (988 MB). Now, I have a nand.bin that should be close to the original 9.2 NAND that I lost on my flash drive. Again, it boots up successfully in EmuNAND, so there's no reason why this shouldn't work.

Now, my question is if I use Gateway's NAND write menu (by holding the up arrow whilst opening the downgrade menu), should the NAND.bin that I extracted work? Is there anyway that I could test the NAND.bin that I extracted using the Linux commands above so that I don't essentially brick my Nintendo 3DS? I don't have a hard-mod, and I don't want to have to pull out my soldering gun :P.

Thank you in advance,
    Chris

WhoAmI? likes this.
  2. nastys

nastys ナースティス

Aug 5, 2014
    Italy
    Earth
    It should work, but if you're unsure, use an Hex editor (I use wxHexEditor) and check if the sectors are correct. Check if NCSD is at offset 256 and compare the size (in bytes) with a new NAND backup: it should be the same.
    The only way to test it is in emunand... which is quite pointless.

Also, dd is a GNU command or more generally, a Unix command.

ChrisCerne likes this.
  3. nosklo

nosklo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2010
    Brazil
    What do you want to accomplish? You want to return to 9.2? Why, if I may ask? There is not much point...

4. ChrisCerne
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2012
    United States
    I wanted to play around a bit with Yifan's 3DS Spider Tools on the latest firmware. Also, I sort of want to jump into the whole 3DS hacking scene, as I found the buffer exploit in the 3DS browser to be quite cool, so I might play around with that.

Thank you for your post! I'll compare the bytes at that offset, and cross my fingers.

Edit: NCSD is at that offset. I think it should be fine. It also looks like the first 500 or so bytes are the same as my 4.2 backup. I think it's safe to assume that it's safe to use.

5. MAXLEMPIRA

MAXLEMPIRA Legends are Made from True Stories...

Jun 24, 2012
    Mexico
    Kanto <- Hyrule -> Unova
    please, tell us what happened with this :)

6. ChrisCerne
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2012
    United States
    It managed to work! I now have all of my eShop content and other things safe on my SysNAND.

Thanks all!

Margen67, MAXLEMPIRA and nastys like this.
  7. MAXLEMPIRA

Jun 24, 2012
    Mexico
    Kanto <- Hyrule -> Unova
    so, technically and in summary (sorry if I'm not clear at all), you had an emuNAND in your SD, then you extract it and write it with Gateway Menu's Downgrade??

8. ChrisCerne
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2012
    United States
    Yes you can! Do you want me to make a tutorial?

Margen67 likes this.
  9. bannana2

bannana2 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2008
    United States
    Spring Hill, KS
    F yes! That would be fantastic :)

Margen67 likes this.
  10. MAXLEMPIRA

Jun 24, 2012
    Mexico
    Kanto <- Hyrule -> Unova
    yep, that would be great!

Margen67 likes this.
  11. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    Be careful, it worked for the op because he injected his own nand into the emunand, but it can brick your console if you do that with an emunand updated in gw mode.

12. ChrisCerne
    OP

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2012
    United States

Not sure if this is thread-worthy, so I'll post it here. Feel free to make it into a thread if you choose.

This is a short tutorial on how to write your EmuNAND partition to your SysNAND safely without the hardmod. You would want to do this if you want to revert back to your original NAND you used when you backed up your SysNAND partition. This could also be used in many other instances, but I do not want to give you other ideas as this could potentially brick your console.

Please, do not use a CFW. I haven't tested it yet, but I would assume that it won't work in writing to the SysNAND. Even then, you wouldn't be able to launch any CIA software because it isn't signed by Nintendo. The CFW does not write the block to the signature checks inside the EmuNAND partition.

Prerequisite
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    Linux
    Windows
    Final Step
    Thank you for reading this tutorial.

bannana2, MAXLEMPIRA and Margen67 like this.
  13. MAXLEMPIRA

Jun 24, 2012
    Mexico
    Kanto <- Hyrule -> Unova
    thanks!!

14. Jiro2

Jiro2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 28, 2011
    United States