Moving a save to a different 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by DrasticGray, Jan 8, 2017.

1. DrasticGray
    OP

DrasticGray Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2017
    United States
    Ohio
    I have a black N3DSXL with homebrew that i've been playing "Metal Gear Solid 3d" on. Recently the "B" button on that system stopped working. I want to transfer the save for that game (and only that game) to my white N3DS. The white one has homebrew as well. I tried directly exporting the save in FBI, moving the file, and importing it to the target system. i get a "damaged save, formatting" error when i load the game. I also tried doing it with JK's save manager with the same result. Does anyone know a better way to move the individual save; or better yet - explain what i'm doing wrong?

Last edited by DrasticGray, Jan 8, 2017
  2. Giodude

Giodude GBAtemp's official rock

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    Did you backup Dmsave data and extdata with jksm?

DrasticGray likes this.
  3. DrasticGray
    OP

DrasticGray Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2017
    United States
    Ohio
    Yes, i did remember to back up the extdata if that's what you are asking. As for "dmsave", isn't that just the save file that is listed as save data in JKSM?

The extra data containing the game's photo-camouflage functionality does load when i use JKSM to restore it, but the images look corrupted. if i import the actual save file it makes me start over.

Last edited by DrasticGray, Jan 8, 2017
  4. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    On the target system, did you run the game, create a new save, and then try importing your backup? Also, did you transfer the save to the new system over FTP? If using FileZilla you need to set your transfer types to binary. I had this happen with an ORAS save.

Last edited by Joom, Jan 8, 2017
    DrasticGray likes this.
  5. DrasticGray
    OP

DrasticGray Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2017
    United States
    Ohio
    Filezilla is exactly what i used to move the file. How do i change my transfer type?

6. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    [​IMG]

DrasticGray likes this.
  7. DrasticGray
    OP

DrasticGray Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2017
    United States
    Ohio
    I'll change the file type, try again, and return with results. I'll be a few minutes.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thank you guys so much. It worked after changing to binary on filezilla. My save has been moved properly. You've saved me hours of redoing everything. As a final question, do i need to change the transfer back to what it was before using filezilla with other things?

Joom likes this.
  8. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Nah, you can keep it binary, and you're welcome. Glad it worked.