Motherboard won't recognize my GPU.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by kjb1686, Oct 6, 2012.

Oct 6, 2012
  1. kjb1686
    OP

Member kjb1686 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi everyone i have just bought the final component for my computer a motherboard. I have a problem however it won't seem to recognize my GPU and the manual that came with my motherboard is no help at all. I have tried disabling the internal graphics card and telling it to use pci however nothing happens after i do that all i get is a black screen. This caused me to have to reset my CMOS to get anything on my screen. In my manual it lists the PCIe ports as PEX ports i looked in the bios but all i see are IGPX and PEG nothing else besides PCI. In my manual it says something about northbridge settings however i don't have them so i can't modify those. I have tried everything i even moved my card to both of the other spots for PCIe to see if the port was bad still nothing, there is enough power given to it i know that much however i can't seem to find the problem.

This is the motherboard i have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138355

BIOSTAR TZ77XE3

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    You (quite clearly) have the appropriate slots, according to the photo provided. Are you sure that the graphics card is powered up? Is the PSU strong enough? Does the graphics card require additional power from the PSU via a 6-pin socket?

[​IMG]

Are you sure the card isn't broken? Have you tested it on a different PC?

The card should be detected automatically if PCI-E is selected as the prefered display device.

3. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    I have a 500watt psu which i was assured would work for my build. My card is a gtx 460 the fans all come on and everything but i don't have another computer to test it on. Also it has 2 six pin connectors i made sure that they were connected correctly and they are but i still can't get it to recognize.

4. Attila13

Member Attila13 Praise the Creep!

Romania
    It may sound weird, but is your BIOS up to date, it could be a BIOS problem too, just like when the Ivy bridge came out, and the users needed to update their BIOS so that the new CPU could work.

Here's your MB page in case you'll need it:
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=581#dl

5. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    I don't know i was considering that but the bios update page doesn't list any upgrades to indicate gpu problems i will do that later and see if it helps. I am not at my computer now so i can't see if it would help.

6. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    BIOS updates can be tricky, just make sure you don't lose power.

7. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    Well it seems that updating a bios for this motherboard is simple. Plug in drive tell it to update and wait. I hated updating bios before they were annoying and took a lot of work to make them work, now they are as simple as can be.

8. RandomOddness

Member RandomOddness GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    kjb1686, can I suggest you install Lucid Universal MVP, set iGPU to ENABLED in the BIOS and make sure that your graphics card is plugged in to the top PCIe slot, at the moment I assume you're plugging the monitor cable, either VGA, DVI or HDMI into the motherboard. You should be plugging that into the graphics card, however with Lucid which your motherboard supports, you can use either the motherboard or the graphics card as they will work together whereas at the moment you're only using the CPU's onchip graphics.

9. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    I will try that when i get home and see if that works if not i will update my bios hopefully that will work. Thank you for the information.

10. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    I have installed the lucid but i can't seem to find anywhere in the bios about igpu and lucid shuts down saying no compatible hardware was found. I was going to update my bios but seeing from what i have read that bios updates aren't really necessary. This is making me angry i hope i don't have to RMA my card.

11. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    your problem is right there.
    You have to set it to peg or auto and connect your monitor directly to your gpu.

12. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    I've yet to see a motherboard where "disable on board graphics" doesn't translate to "use pci-e graphics adapter"

OP, I'd update your BIOS anyway, regardless of whether video card compatibility is listed or not. As long as you don't lose power, it isn't gonna hurt. See if your motherboard has a Windows based flashing utility, they're (in my experience, at least) usually easier to use (and quicker).

Going to just run through a few basic things that you probably have already covered, but it's worth mentioning just in case:

-Monitor cable is now hooked up to the graphics card and not the onboard adapter, right?

-How is it hooked up? VGA? Composite? DVI? HDMI?

-If you have a multi-input monitor, make sure it's now set to the right input if you're using a different type of cable now (For example, my HF22 has DVI and VGA, so I have to switch between them depending on what I want (but it also auto-detects if the current one is disconnected). Same goes for if you're using a TV, which typically will not auto-detect your current input)

-How long have you let it sit before deciding "it doesn't work"? On my server, HDMI output doesn't work 100% properly* until Windows boots. (*by 100% properly, it won't work during POST if the HDMI signal is going through a stereo receiver. Directly hooked to a display though, it will)

-That said, if you have it hooked up to a stereo receiver, is that properly set to coincide with the correct graphics card output and TV/display input?

-Different cable/different type of cable?

-If you have an onboard chassis speaker in your case or on your motherboard (or a diagnostic LED display on the motherboard), do you get any sort of error beep/readout when you boot it with the graphics card in? (if not, disregard)

-With the graphics card in, does the onboard graphics stop working?

Not to say answering any/all of those questions will give me/anyone else a 100% definite answer as to what the issue is, but it'll be a good starting point.

2 people like this.
  13. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    Yes i have it connected to both the motherboard via VGA and the GPU via HDMI. I have tried taking off the connection from the motherboard but i won't get any picture. I have no multi monitor setup. I have a SSD so boot time is pretty fast i let it sit about a minute to a minute and a half. I have tried both DVI and HDMI and nothing my HDMI cable works fine as i use it for my laptop as well. I get one beep at startup after that no beeps at all or anything. No my onboard still works even after i plug in my GPU.

14. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    you have to set your mobo bios to use PEG graphics (not pci) and boot your computer while only the cable from your gpu is connected.

15. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    I will try that in a few minutes when i get home.

16. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    I have tried setting my bios to peg disabled the internal and same thing happened as when i set it to pci with two exceptions. One when i went to start it i got three beeps from my speaker and two somehow my windows installation got screwed up and went into a bootloop.

17. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    The manual should state what does the BIOS error the PC speaker informed you about means.

18. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    My motherboard has one of those number type code indicators on it and in my manual it only lists those and nothing about beeps like i said my manual isn't very helpful beyond telling you how to install parts to the motherboard.

19. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    What kind of BIOS is on-board? I'm pretty sure that you can pin-point the beep code to the BIOS itself.

20. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    What do you mean by what type of bios is onboard. I think UEFI or whatever it is called i don't know.