Hacking More than one flashcart?

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well now. I've had my CycloDS Evolution for nearly 2 years (or possibly more since I can't seem to remember the purchase date) without a single problem whatsoever and I'm very pleased with the product. I don't have a DSi and have not thought about buying one in the near future. I don't have a single game which I play that doesn't work on the flashcart that I own at the moment. I just happen to be interested in testing another cart and what differences they may hold. Probably the new cart would end up in the closet or just moonshell software on it for music playback.

So my question in the end: Do you have another flashcart and for what do you use it for? What is your main cart? Was that the first cart you bought or have you bought it to make up for another carts failures?

I have been thinking about buying an Acekard2i (AKAIO FW) or and iEDGE (CycloDS Clone whatever other people might say). Both are DSi compatible but on the other hand I don't care about that. Both have somewhat different OS/GUI than the Cyclo and that's what probably is the most pressing matter for me.

//Qtis

PS. I'm not looking to replace my Cyclo since it works just fine and I'm not interested in an Acekard2i just to get a "new" flashcart. I'd prefer to buy the R.P.G. version but that is a bit expensive to buy for the fun of it
tongue.gif

Pliskron

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd wait for the new Supercard DStwo. I also have a Cyclo and am thinking about getting a dsi soon. I have an EZ-Flash Vi and I use it only with the 3in1 because it supports cheats and multiboot. I have an Acekard because they sometimes come out with a fix before the Cyclo. It's a good card but not nearly as good as the people around here would make you think. As for the M3 I've tried it and I didn't like it. The advanced features don't work nearly as well as they do on the Cyclo.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
well, I've got pretty much every flash cart out there so far, and I use my Acekard2i for everything. CycloDS feels like it's better built, but I haven't had any problems with my AK2i in a year or so.

the only thing it lacks is the RTS, but I hardly use that anyways.

unopepito06

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first card I ever bought was an original white R4, way back in the day. I managed to use that card for, god, it must've been at least a year or more, after the dev team split up, just individually patching each game with AP bypass cheat codes.

Finally I had to give in and get a new card. I was interested in the dsiware capabilities of the dsi, and I started shopping right after the M3i Zero came out. Seemed like a perfect situation; bought the M3i Zero and a new dsi, and basked in the glory of regular official firmware updates!

However, I am now sorely disapointed with the M3 team's slacking (or whatever you wanna call it). It's been nearly three weeks since their last release, and over a week since you-know-what came out, and we are all still waiting, with not a peep out of them. And so, lately, I've been considering getting another card. I've been looking at the Acekard 2i, as I need a dsi v1.4 compatible card, of course. Maybe the edge, or... something. I don't really know, I don't follow the hardware very close as I've already had a working card for so long. The good thing is I'm a patient person, and I'm gonna hold out as long as possible.

However I will say that I'm very glad I kept my original R4 and my ds lite, as that opens up alot of possibilities for multiplayer and various connectivity features, linking and trading, etc. So yes, I think it's definitely worth it to have another card around, and they're so cheap, why not? But I will also be watching this thread for other user's opinions on what card is best, and what new cards will be releasing soon.

Good luck!

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
unopepito06 said:
However I will say that I'm very glad I kept my original R4 and my ds lite, as that opens up alot of possibilities for multiplayer and various connectivity features, linking and trading, etc. So yes, I think it's definitely worth it to have another card around, and they're so cheap, why not? But I will also be watching this thread for other user's opinions on what card is best, and what new cards will be releasing soon.

Good luck!

Despite all the hate, I'm actually pretty happy with the performance of R4's. Seriously, they're under $10. What have you got to lose?

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
iwakura said:
Despite all the hate, I'm actually pretty happy with the performance of R4's. Seriously, they're under $10. What have you got to lose?
The problem is two fold...
1). Most R4's are clones. This in itself poses multiple issues...
-- Less reliable updates since they are usually stolen/cracked from other flashcard devs.
-- Less support for REAL flashcard devs. For example, the R4 Ultra is an AceKard clone so all their updates come from AceKard.
----- When you DON'T buy an AceKard, that's less sales for them.
----- Less sales for them means they have less incentive to continue to update.
----- Less incentive for them to update means YOU get less updates.
2). For a little bit more money you could be buying a REAL card that has a REAL team to support it.

When I bought my REAL R4, it was $40+shipping.
A considerably short time later, my friend bought an M3 Real Perfect Bundle, the M3 Real + GBA/RAM/Rumble packs for $40+shipping.
At this point, the real R4 was down to I think $25 because there was more competition by REAL teams, which drove down the price.

Now look at it... an AceKard, a REAL AceKard, will cost you $15 shipped.
You get a real card, supported by a real team and it's only a few dollars more than you would pay for a shitty clone that relies on stolen/cracked updates.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
They made excellent and wonderfully cheap christmas presents for my very large family though
biggrin.gif

following your logic though, dont even bother getting a flash cart. buy the games, so developers have more sales. more incentive to make more games that are actually worth playing unlike the shovelware that releases by the bucketful nowadays.

If I actually depended on the acekard team for updates, I'd have gone to the M3i zero long ago. They have updates now and then, but it's pathetic compared to akaio. Which isn't a real team, though I commend normatt for the work he's put into it.

I ordered R4's in bulk and got them for $4 apiece. Acekard2i's run for around $19 shipped within the US (I don't buy international so that I can actually return these things if needed).

I'm not arguing with your points, but I think the hate against the R4 is ridiculous. It's not like the Acekard team deserves money for stealing developer's work.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have:
M3i Zero(Used the most beacuse of good compatibility, media support and extra in game features plus sakura is hawt)
Acekard 2i(When a game fix doesnt come on the M3i for a while and is on akAIO)

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got an Acekard 2.1 and a Supercard DS One i.

I bought the Acekard as my first cart and pretty much I can play everything.
I won the SCDS1i.
tongue.gif
It pretty much plays everything in clean mode especially when Norm gets pissed and won't release new ones because people keep bugging him. (which seems like its going on right now
frown.gif
)

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
BoxShot said:
It pretty much plays everything in clean mode especially when Norm gets pissed and won't release new ones because people keep bugging him. (which seems like its going on right now
frown.gif
)
can't blame the guy either....what's his motivation? thousands of immature kids griping for a fix that they demand of him (for free of course).

I wouldn't be thrilled about making a fix for these kids either
tongue.gif

edit: not saying that you are, of course. I've just been annoyed at seeing people asking for fixes. youtube kids are annoying as hell.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
iwakura said:
I'm not arguing with your points, but I think the hate against the R4 R4 Clones is ridiculous. It's not like the Acekard team deserves money for stealing developer's work.
There is no hate for the R4 since they aren't around anymore.
The hate there is is for the CLONES which helped cause their end.

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
iwakura said:
I'm not arguing with your points, but I think the hate against the R4 R4 Clones is ridiculous. It's not like the Acekard team deserves money for stealing developer's work.
There is no hate for the R4 since they aren't around anymore.
The hate there is is for the CLONES which helped cause their end.

these "clones" are releasing their own firmwares. They're not ripping off or relying on the original R4 team's. If they decided to
change their name, nobody would be able to tell the difference between a "clone" R4 and a new company.

In that sense, I believe any company that releases their own firmware updates can't really be called a clone.

Also, the R4 team got lazy after thir success. They use to be a part of the M3 and G6 team, but decided to break it off so that they could sell carts cheaper. After a huge success, they just stopped updating. Enough profit earned, I guess. Later, the M3 team decided to produce R4's again, because there was still a market for them. One of the R4i's (can't remember which) was actually made by the M3 team, and is currently still in distribuion. Can you really call that a clone?

Matthew

Trophies
XP
Country
iwakura said:
unopepito06 said:

Good luck!

I agree, sure they are slower to update, however I've had one and it never let me down.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: Update on my brother: He's home now, tired and hungry, obviously, but other than that, seems to...