Tutorial More-or-less Catch-All Tutorial

Switch CFW tutorial to focus on ReiNAND?

• Switch to ReiNAND (Lighter footprint, seems to work better in most systems, native regionfree TBD)

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Keep using rxTools (Unstable, build Dropbox host goes down every other day, generally troublesome)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
donwload the latest version of FBI.cia

https://github.com/Steveice10/FBI/releases

and this step is necessary, It'll create 2 files, one called FBI_no_banner.app (or something like that) and one called FBI_with_banne.app, just rename the one called "FBI with banner app" to "hs.app", place it at you'r SD card root and inject it again using decrypt9

Alright. Nearly there! I have it injected and I have CTRBootManager installed, but whenever I try to launch it, I get an error related to NATIVE_FIRM:

Code:
Failed to load NATIVE_FIRM: 4
Reboot rxTools and try again.

Last edited by Cornholio309,

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Alright. Nearly there! I have it injected and I have CTRBootManager installed, but whenever I try to launch it, I get an error related to NATIVE_FIRM:

Code:
Failed to load NATIVE_FIRM: 4
Reboot rxTools and try again.
Try reinstalling firmware.bin.
If you're on a N3DS, try one of the different firmware.bin files.

Side note:
I'd test downgrading on a N3DS now that I have one, but much to Nintendo's chagrin, I got the rare Version 9.0 unicorn.
I'm pretty stoked about that, to say the least.

Reactions: Cornholio309

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try reinstalling firmware.bin.
If you're on a N3DS, try one of the different firmware.bin files.

Side note:
I'd test downgrading on a N3DS now that I have one, but much to Nintendo's chagrin, I got the rare Version 9.0 unicorn.
I'm pretty stoked about that, to say the least.

I believe that did the trick! I used firmware 9.5's bin file again, and made a copy of 0004013820000002orig.bin and renamed it to just 0004013820000002.bin. Upon booting rxTools, it went to a black screen which was part of the troubleshooting and most assuring then the error I was getting before. By keeping L held down, it seemingly did it's magic and now Health & Safety appears as "FBI" on my menu!

Thank you so much for the wonderful tutorial!

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ok, so i just downgraded but menuhax is gone and ironfall doesn't start on this firmware. should i just use browserhax to reinstall menuhax from the most recent installer now to move on to rxtool setup (on o3ds)

and i'm not sure what older nightly of rxtools i'm supposed to be using, so I'm using the one from the mirror, but then that one stayed black when trying to get into rxmenu, so i used the alternative one.

Is it normal that it keeps installing data on my sd card everytime i start it?

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm now running into an issue after using TinyFlash where I can no longer get FBI to run.

I tried reinjecting it and now it's gone permanently.

EDIT: Got it back, but I'm not quite sure why FBI isn't working anymore.

Last edited by Cornholio309,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ok, so i just downgraded but menuhax is gone and ironfall doesn't start on this firmware. should i just use browserhax to reinstall menuhax from the most recent installer now to move on to rxtool setup (on o3ds)

and i'm not sure what older nightly of rxtools i'm supposed to be using, so I'm using the one from the mirror, but then that one stayed black when trying to get into rxmenu, so i used the alternative one.

Is it normal that it keeps installing data on my sd card everytime i start it?

ok, i'm honestly not sure how, but i somehow managed to set everything up i think.
nands are unlinked, sysnand is basically empty now, took a while to get menuhax back (cause browserhax was still trying to book bootmanager but couldn't)
made it so 3ds boots to bootloader now and rxtools menu doesn't install data again and again.

going to update emunand in a bit.

might be my last stupid question, but should i install menuhax on emunand too? or does it make no sense to have it there?
and if i open hbl through bootloader, whatever I do in there will only affect the emunand?

Karreg

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Im having exact same problem. got downgrade just fine. installed ctrbootmanager fine (im pretty sure as it loads the purple menu and i can browse files.) stuck at not being able to or knowing how to load rxtools. i try to manually run code.bin from ctrbootmanager and the system hangs. no messages, just freeze. It would be great if someone could link to a known, 100% working copy of rxtools that used this tutorial and please, pretend i'm a total moron (which this is making me feel like lol) and tell me every baby step to get rxtools and cfw running.
Got the same problem as well, tried it with both versions of rxTools mentioned in the tutorial but both resulted in the same error.

superafroboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey everyone, and thanks @Sgt. Lulz for this great guide!

I'm trying to install CFW on 9.2 and things are going good so far, but I have hit a snag at step 12 of your tutorial. When I try to launch rxTools from boot manager while holding L, I get the message "Installation failed, press any key to continue" and "Failed to load NATIVE_FIRM: 4 Reboot rxTools and try again." I've tried several times and keep getting that message. If I continue and try to check TMD on emunand, it says "Opening S... Failed!"

Any suggestions for me?

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I'm trying to install CFW on 9.2 and things are going good so far, but I have hit a snag at step 12 of your tutorial. When I try to launch rxTools from boot manager while holding L, I get the message "Installation failed, press any key to continue" and "Failed to load NATIVE_FIRM: 4 Reboot rxTools and try again." I've tried several times and keep getting that message. If I continue and try to check TMD on emunand, it says "Opening S... Failed!"

Any suggestions for me?
Sounds like a bad firmware.bin.
If you're on O3DS, try redownloading firmware.bin.
If you're on N3DS, follow the steps to downloading the 2 firmware.bin files again.
Opening S... is a N3DS error, so I'm imagining that's your problem.
I'm using firmware9.5.bin, myself.

WakingMavUp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Any suggestions for me?

REQUIREMENTS:
rxTools Nightly (Older nightlies reccomended for safety purposes, don't use the alpha nor the stable); Mirror
If you have blackscreening issues on boot, try this version of rxTools instead.

I used the "this version of rxTools" and it solved the problem

superafroboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm on O3DS, so I will run the batch file again to download and compile a new firmware.bin and replace the old one in rxtools/sys/

Thanks again!

superafroboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks @WakingMavUp using the other version (older version?) of rxtools resolved that issue for me! Next up unlinking nand... after that I can use FBI in emunand to install unsigned CIAs right?

CompC

Trophies
Website
josh.birnholz.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm running the bat file to try to get the firmware.bin for 9.2, original 3DS, but it's not working. I get this:

Code:
DISPLAY: 'FIRM' TYPE: DOWNLOAD STATE: TRANSIENT_ERROR
PRIORITY: HIGH FILES: 0 / 1 BYTES: 0 / 965632 (0%)
ERROR FILE:    http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/000401380000
ERROR CODE:    0x800704b3 - The network path was either typed incorrectly, does
ERROR CONTEXT: 0x00000002 - The error occurred in the Background Intelligent Tr

What should I do?

EDIT: Nevermind. Got it working by moving the bat file to a different hard drive and running it from there.

Last edited by CompC,

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) downgrade 2) Install RxTools and Nand9. Backup sysnand (and emunand)! 3) Unlink Nands and Nintendo Id (fbi. Cia) 4) link NNID to update emunand through eShop 5) Restored emunand and updated again. Replace Nintendo 3ds with backup files. 6) Oh and renamed boot.3ds to boot_hb.3ds

Physical games keeps saves. Eshop re-download. Lose saves. Dsi games broken as expected. (How do I fix this?)

What now? Lol

Last edited by KingVamp,

Arkangelshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thx in advance for your helping...

In point 13. Advanced > Install FBI > emuNAND > Check TMD. Note down the Region and the Version.

I only got Opening S... Failed ! Opening S... Failed !

Glad you can help me.

ayylmao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're getting a black screen while booting rxTools, either emuNAND booting is triggering Menuhax due to the theme payload still being present or you're experiencing an unknown problem. If it's the former, try holding/not holding the button combination you set to not trigger Menuhax. If it's the latter, try the alternate rxTools.zip download.

I can get into the settings but i get black screen while booting rx mode i have to turn it off what am i supposed to do now? Everything was going fine

How am i supposed to know the button combo?

DeathGrind

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey guys, I downgraded my 03ds to 9.2 last night, am attempting to follow this guide. Confused by the get firmware part

firmware.bin:
O3DS: Downloadable through the following Windows .bat script:

Warning: Spoilers inside!
Code:
@Echo OFF
bitsadmin /transfer FIRM /priority high http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013800000002/00000049 "%~dp0\firm.bin"
pause
bitsadmin /transfer TWL /priority high http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013800000202/0000000B "%~dp0\twl.bin"
pause
bitsadmin /transfer AGB /priority high http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013800000102/00000016 "%~dp0\agb.bin"
pause
copy "%~dp0\firm.bin"/b +"%~dp0\twl.bin"/b +"%~dp0\agb.bin"/b "%~dp0\firmware.bin"del"%~dp0\firm.bin"del"%~dp0\twl.bin"del"%~dp0\agb.bin"
pause

I created the bat script in notepad saved it as fw.bat ran it, i keep getting error and have no idea what i am doing wrong, screens for what i see

at the end of it i endup with a firmware.bin file that is 3.40mb in size. Is this correct?

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hey guys, I downgraded my 03ds to 9.2 last night, am attempting to follow this guide. Confused by the get firmware part

firmware.bin:
O3DS: Downloadable through the following Windows .bat script:

Warning: Spoilers inside!
Code:
@Echo OFF
bitsadmin /transfer FIRM /priority high http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013800000002/00000049 "%~dp0\firm.bin"
pause
bitsadmin /transfer TWL /priority high http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013800000202/0000000B "%~dp0\twl.bin"
pause
bitsadmin /transfer AGB /priority high http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013800000102/00000016 "%~dp0\agb.bin"
pause
copy "%~dp0\firm.bin"/b +"%~dp0\twl.bin"/b +"%~dp0\agb.bin"/b "%~dp0\firmware.bin"del"%~dp0\firm.bin"del"%~dp0\twl.bin"del"%~dp0\agb.bin"
pause

I created the bat script in notepad saved it as fw.bat ran it, i keep getting error and have no idea what i am doing wrong, screens for what i see

at the end of it i endup with a firmware.bin file that is 3.40mb in size. Is this correct?
It seems like the program is having trouble with write access, but if it's 3.40MB, it's probably good to go.

I can get into the settings but i get black screen while booting rx mode i have to turn it off what am i supposed to do now? Everything was going fine

How am i supposed to know the button combo?

If you're not getting a bootloop, the former instructions don't apply to you. Try reinstalling all the rxTools files or use the alternate version.

Reactions: DeathGrind

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/sony-apologizes-for-sony-interview-with-sony-developer-ne...