Moonshell2 'extlink' files

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by CannonFoddr, Dec 24, 2009.

Dec 24, 2009

Moonshell2 'extlink' files by CannonFoddr at 7:41 PM (3,272 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. CannonFoddr
    OP

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    OK - quick question.

In Moonshell 2 there's a folder called 'extlink' which I (now) know allows moonshell to run other files other than the default mp3/txt/dpg etc,
    such as
    Anyone know what these are for ??

Also - I was wondering what OTHER 'extlink' files are avaliable for Moonshell ??
    I know about Normatt's AKAIO Loader (which doesn't work with MS2.07/2.08 incidentally) to launch Commercial ROMS

Perhaps 'those-in-the-know' can post all avaliable the MS extlink files here, with a description to what is actualy does - and any restrictions involved (e.g 'does not work on MoonShell >2.07' or 'For use only on AK2 AKAIO firmware' )

Edited 26-12-09
    I can confirm that _te.TextEdit.nds (rename it to 'txt.Textedit.nds') is a very simplistic text editor. Allows you to edit & save alteration on any txt files on your flashcard

Other 'extlink' loaders:
    AKAIO Commercial ROM loader
    N.B. this can only be used with AKAIO firmware & only on MoonShell v2.06 and below - it will not work on 2.07 or 2.08. Moonlight (the developer) has put a 'block' on this

Use to run commercial ROMs via YSMenu
    You'll need YSMenu for this to run. Same Moonshell version restrictions as above

Use to run .smc .gb (Gameboy) and .gbc (Gameboy Color) ROMs
    [Tested] does not autoload/run any of these files. You need to rebrowse & select before playing

Play AVI files (based on Tunavid)
    [Tested] - will autoload/run AVI files but have to reset DS(i) as there's no way of loading new video afterwards

Play NES roms (based on NesDS - I think)
    [Tested by jurassicplayer]

play NEO roms (based on NeoDS - I think)
    [Tested by jurassicplayer]

2. coolness

Banned coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Netherlands
  3. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
  4. Ultralex

Member Ultralex GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Man,everthing you did was renaming the lameboy nds file,everyone can do that,we need real autoboot.
    Anywhere here was some for super nintendo roms floating around.

5. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    There is also the SNEmulDS extlink, I've tried the first one (and it works like it should). The version 0.6 extlink is most likely just a renamed SNEmulDS.nds (since the gb/gbc extlinks are the same and the file sizes for the extlink and actual loader are the same).

_te.textedit.nds is the text editor. I'm pretty sure it is kept as _te instead of txt to make use of the long click (hold A when selecting a text file brings you to the text editor) and short click (tap A opens up the normal text reader). The text editor is slightly skinnable (a couple of images here and there that are changable, though I'm not sure about the tgf files...dunno how to open those) and I believe the handwriting models can be changed (like what movements go first and all that for handwritten stuff), but I have never figured out how (too afraid to press random buttons on the hwm manager).

As for the _hn.hugeNDSloader.nds and _vh.VeryHugeNDSLoader.nds, I'm pretty sure the first file was to increase the nds file size that could be loaded via moonshell2, but then there was some file (I'm guessing MyMeloDS) that was still over the size limit by a little bit, so Moonlight added the VeryHugeNDSLoader xD (you have to love the naming sense).

I've tested both the NES and NEO extlinks and they work like they should (just be sure to check the compatibility of their original NEOGEO and NES counterparts to make sure that the game you want to play actually can play off of what the extlink is based off of), but I haven't tested them on the newer versions (DS broke before 2.08 came out and I don't think I tried them when I was using 2.07).

ipk.nds is for .ipk files and I guess you could call it a manga viewer (that is what I use it for), but its pretty much an image viewer (no animated gifs). You have to convert a folder full of images to an ipk file and then move it to your mSD. If I remember correctly, there is also the latest imageviewer.nds in the launch folder (version 1.1) though the converter (along with the rest of it) is on Filetrip or inside the misc folder of the moonshell2 downloads. Some thing to note about the ipk viewer is that for some reason (maybe some file I have or some other strange thing) sometimes, it cannot natively return to the file viewer within the image viewer or something like that (haven't used the ipk extlink for a while so all of the details are a little foggy).

nes.nesterds.nds is probably a different loader for nes roms, one of the original extlinks made by Moonlight since somewhere close to the initial release (the other one being ipk.nds).

6. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    .ipk Files are basically pdf's for DS.

7. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    yet andspdf can load pdf's on the DS

8. jurassicplayer

United States
    Though that isn't perfect yet, and it is sometimes extremely slow.

9. lolzed

Member lolzed The GBAtemp Pichu

Philippines
    it's pretty much a dead project,last you can see in his blog was on march this year,aside from that no plans on a new release

10. CannonFoddr
    OP

United Kingdom
    jurassicplayer: many thanks for clearing up what MS standard extlink are - I never knew about the 'Press {A} to edit' feature ofr handwritting

As for the _hn.hugeNDSloader.nds and _vh.VeryHugeNDSLoader.nds - I doubt I'll ever need them since I beleive AKAIO loader does the same thing on the AK2i, still nice to know

As for the ipk's 'PDF for DS' - at least I was partially right, but still nice to get it confirmed

11. jurassicplayer

United States
    xD I don't think very many people use the loader that comes with moonshell2 (its not all that great, it fails for some stuff). I use the ysloader for my nds files because it has a substantially better loader than the ones that come with moonshell2 and I'm betting its the same for the AKAIO loader xD.

12. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    can the txt.textedit.nds thing work on moonshell 2.05?

just wondering?

13. jurassicplayer

United States
    Absolutely, since it is an extlink. Just make sure that you move the folder along with the nds extlink, although the only problem is that the editor will open up instead of the text reader when you click on a txt file, since moonshell2 places most extlinks on a higher priority than its own (except for nds roms of course).

14. basher11

United States
    so, what does that mean? [​IMG] im really slow at this kind of stuff. XD

15. jurassicplayer

United States
    It just means that when you are using moonshell2 and you happen to click on a text file, instead of viewing the text (the normal viewer with the bookmarks, options for text size, etc.), the text editor will be used (the thing with the qwerty keyboard, etc.).

16. basher11

United States
    well that sucks.... i guess im not using it. D

17. jurassicplayer

United States
    xD that is about the reaction I had when faced with the same choice. Usually I just find it better to keep something else for editing (DSOrganize).