Hacking Moonshell vs DSOrganize

mflo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm sticking to moonshell, I'm never going to use the calender or calculator or any of that extra stuff, I'm just going to listen to mp3s, watch videos, and maybe put some pictures on it. And I currently have a nice and peaceful looking skin, makes it pretty,
laugh.gif

mflo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I currently have 5 episodes of FLCL in dpg format, I still need to convert the last one. The 5 episodes together are 286 MB, each episodes ranges from 50-60MB. With the last episode, it will be 336-346 MB total. I've used up 612 MB in roms so far (15 games) and depending on the last episode of FLCL, I'll have 55-70 MB left over for saves and maybe some mp3s and pics. This is all on a 1 GB microSD

kiruyama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only reason I see to have moonshell there is to play movies on, but I prefer to use my PSP for that. However, my center icon is still moonshell, since whenever you hover over it, it says "multimedia", and since DSO isn't a multimedia app, I'd go insane.

EarthBound

a/s/l?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I currently have 5 episodes of FLCL in dpg format, I still need to convert the last one. The 5 episodes together are 286 MB, each episodes ranges from 50-60MB. With the last episode, it will be 336-346 MB total. I've used up 612 MB in roms so far (15 games) and depending on the last episode of FLCL, I'll have 55-70 MB left over for saves and maybe some mp3s and pics. This is all on a 1 GB microSD

What do you use to convert the video files?

MaHe

one lazy schmo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Simply rename it's binary to _DS_MNSL.nds (or whatever it's called). You may also try hex-editing the .dat file to change Multimedia to whatever you want.
smile.gif

ambitous21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only thing the moonshell i like is the video playing feature.
today i was trying to look at some pictures through moonshell, but some didnt load

so i actually went over to DSOrganize to look at pictures lol
laugh.gif

also, it is nice that you can choose to view or hide hidden files at the DSOrganize options.

like i made a folder hidden so it wouldnt show up on the games menu, but later i couldnt access it on moonshell. so i simply went to DSO and could easily view the hidden folder through a change in the options.

and after changing the icons, DSO now looks pretty nifty! so i like it a lot.

madmk

Trophies
XP
Country
Out of interest, how do you convert standard video formats to .dpg? I tried once but it failed on the audio track :-( Is there a nice easy to follow guide somewhere?

darksavior

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone have any luck playing AAC files in Moonshell without scratches? recommended encoding settings?
forget dsorganize for AAC, it skips so much and freezes my ds in the process

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
I currently have 5 episodes of FLCL in dpg format, I still need to convert the last one. The 5 episodes together are 286 MB, each episodes ranges from 50-60MB. With the last episode, it will be 336-346 MB total. I've used up 612 MB in roms so far (15 games) and depending on the last episode of FLCL, I'll have 55-70 MB left over for saves and maybe some mp3s and pics. This is all on a 1 GB microSD

See, I'm going to have my roms (clean) and saves on my 1 GB microSD for my R4, and then i plan on using my 2 GB and supercard SD with moonshell to play movies and mp3's. So I'm wondering if i should change the media (middle) icon to boot to DSOrganize? I've never used it, but it could be handy to have a calculator (college student) as well as other items at hand. No clue how i would get moonshell or dsorganize to work though, never tried that stuff.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
I currently have 5 episodes of FLCL in dpg format, I still need to convert the last one. The 5 episodes together are 286 MB, each episodes ranges from 50-60MB.  With the last episode, it will be 336-346 MB total.  I've used up 612 MB in roms so far (15 games) and depending on the last episode of FLCL, I'll have 55-70 MB left over for saves and maybe some mp3s and pics.  This is all on a 1 GB microSD

See, I'm going to have my roms (clean) and saves on my 1 GB microSD for my R4, and then i plan on using my 2 GB and supercard SD with moonshell to play movies and mp3's. So I'm wondering if i should change the media (middle) icon to boot to DSOrganize? I've never used it, but it could be handy to have a calculator (college student) as well as other items at hand. No clue how i would get moonshell or dsorganize to work though, never tried that stuff.

maybe you should try then. theres plenty of tutorials around and the latest dsorganise uses dldi so it is compatable with R4.
both programs are very useful. moonshell is a pure multimedia program, which i would highly reccomend for playing your videos (dpg's) and mp3's. AAC isn't hardly working on it right now though and picture viewing isn't great in my opinion.
DSOrganise is very useful as an organiser especially its ability to modify the contents of your card. I find the AAC playback reasonably good (i have tried only a few files on it though) and the picture viewing is satisfactory although i would reccomend for that ability, comicbookds and imageviewer.

Both programs are essentials in my opinion, but i use moonshell more often due to my infrequent usage of its organising aspects. Thus if you are like me and are going to be using dpg and mp3 functions more, i suggest you put moonshell as the middle icon.

QUOTE(darksavior @ Jan 15 2007, 10:52 AM)anyone have any luck playing AAC files in Moonshell without scratches? recommended encoding settings?
forget dsorganize for AAC, it skips so much and freezes my ds in the process

i haven't been able to play any with moonshell but with the limited files i've tried on DSOrganise it has worked perfectly fine. (latest version for reference).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1