Moonshell and Cheat Database problems

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by Chaobreaker, Aug 21, 2009.

Aug 21, 2009
  1. Chaobreaker
    OP

Newcomer Chaobreaker Member

Canada
    I just got a cyclods and I dont know how to install that gbatemp database file. I also cant open moonshell 2 from the main menu. I can open it from the games buttons but when I open it from the media button it tells me its not installed, even though its in the root dir.

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Go here: http://cheats.gbatemp.net/
    Download the cheat file that says "user.evoCHEATS.zip" after the date.
    Unzip the archive.
    Locate the user.evoCHEATS file; all other files can be ignored.
    Drag the user.evoCHEATS file into the CycloDS folder of your microSD.

I'm not exactly sure if there's a fix for that Moonshell issue, because the CycloDS only officially supports the old Moonshell 1.71 and that's what the media button was designed for.

3. Fyga

Newcomer Fyga Advanced Member

United States
    Not until firmware v1.55 BETA 5 was Moonshell 2 made the default media player, so the middle Media button won't work w/o a couple adjustments.

On the root of your card create a folder named moonshl and drag the moonshl2.nds file for your moonshl2 in there, then rename it to moonshell.nds.

So on the root of your card you should have 2 folders, moonshl and moonshl2. moonshl will only have the renamed moonshl2.nds file, and the other folder should remain unchanged w/ all of MSHL2's files.
    Cyclo looks for the moonshl folder when booting up the Media button, so that's why it's done that way (as DeMoN mentioned).

4. Porkdish

Member Porkdish GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    By default the cyclo ds hooks the media button on the main menu to any nds file named moonshell.nds inside a folder named moonshl.

/moonshl/moonshell.nds

You can rename just about any nds file to match this and dump it there to be launched via the middle media button.

The recent updates (betas) now include new entries to the config.xml file located in the cyclods folder.

/moonshl/moonshell.nds

You can alter this (with any simple text editor such as notepad on PC or textedit on Mac) to change what the middle button points to, rather than renaming/relocating your choice of nds file.

5. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Theoretically, if you changed the moonshell path to a DS game, would it load that instead?
    That'd be a really nifty shortcut for those who don't like scrolling down all the time to get to a certain game.

6. Fyga

United States
    I had made 2 attempts at that previously & achieved double white screens on my DS after loading, reasonably b/c it was attempting to use the MSHL2 launch configs w/ the game & ended up nowhere.

Dragging & renaming a game to moonshl2.nds yielded the same results; my afterthought was deleting the moonshl2 folder completely & see what happens, but both of these are disadvantageous anyway so I haven't tried the latter.

Answer should be no all-around.

7. Porkdish

Member Porkdish GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    fuck your sig is annoying and a performance hog fyga. Even if its not against site rules (it probably is) show a little consideration.

The media app has to be able to understand a dldi patch attempt. I have used a few different homebrews as my media browser, currently it opens dslibris on my cart.

8. Fyga

United States
    Ahaha, sure I can eliminate it then.

And also nice input, I haven't thought of doing individual dldi patches for a long time after all the auto-dldi carts.