Moonlight Wii U

Moonlight Wii U is a port of Moonlight Embedded, which is an open source client for Sunshine and NVIDIA GameStream. Moonlight allows you to stream your full collection of games and applications from your PC to other devices to play them remotely.

It's using the hardware-accelerated h264 library of the Wii U which results in pretty fast decoding.
Using my LAN Adapter 720p@60fps runs almost flawlessly.

Here's a little demo (and april fools) video:

Quick Start

ℹ️ A Wii U LAN Adapter is recommended!
  • Grab the latest version from the releases page and extract it to the root of your SD Card.
  • Enter the IP of your Sunshine/GFE server in the moonlight.conf file located at sd:/wiiu/apps/moonlight.
  • Ensure your Sunshine/GFE server and Wii U are on the same network.
  • If using GFE, turn on Shield Streaming in the GFE settings.
  • Pair Moonlight Wii U with the server.
  • Accept the pairing confirmation on your PC.
  • Connect to the server with Moonlight Wii U.
  • Play games!
Configuration
You can configure all of the documented settings in the moonlight.conf file located at sd:/wiiu/apps/moonlight.
Note that a lot of option are commented out by default, to edit them you need to remove the # in front of them.

Supported controllers
  • Gamepad (can be disabled with the disable_gamepad option).
  • Up to 4 Wii U Pro Controllers and Wii Classic Controllers (Pro).
    The Gamepad needs to be disabled to use the 4th controller.

Troubleshooting

Input doesn't work when using Sunshine

Verify that you've installed Nefarius Virtual Gamepad and restarted your PC after the installation.

The stream disconnects frequently/immediately

Depending on your network connection you need to adjust the configuration to find a stable bitrate and resolution.Try something like this to get started:
Code:
width = 854
height = 480
fps = 30
Code:
bitrate = 1500
Then slowly increase the bitrate until the stream is no longer stable.

Can't find app Steam

Moonlight Wii U tries to start the app "Steam" by default, but sunshine does not have a default Application called "Steam".
You can either rename the app in the moonlight.conf to
Code:
app = Steam Big Picture
which is a default option in sunshine or add a new application called "Steam" in the sunshine configuration.

Releases: https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/moonlight-wiiu/releases
Source code: https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/moonlight-wiiu

Special thanks to agilly1989, rw and QuarkTheAwesome.

Last edited by GaryOderNichts,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Moonlight Wii U is a port of Moonlight Embedded, which is an open source implementation of NVIDIA's GameStream, as used by the NVIDIA Shield.
Moonlight Wii U allows you to stream your full collection of games from your powerful Windows desktop to your Wii U.

It's using the hardware-accelerated h264 library of the Wii U which results in pretty fast decoding.
Using my LAN Adapter 720p@60fps runs almost flawlessly.

Here's a little demo (and april fools) video:

Requirements
  • GFE compatible computer with GTX 600/700/900/1000 series GPU (for the PC you're streaming from)
  • Geforce Experience 2.1.1 or higher
  • A Wii U LAN Adapter is recommended
If your PC isn't supported or you're having performance related issues, try using sunshine instead.

Quick Start
  • Grab the latest version from the releases page and extract it to the root of your SD Card
  • Enter the IP of your GFE server in the moonlight.conf file located at sd:/wiiu/apps/moonlight
  • Ensure your GFE server and Wii U are on the same network
  • Turn on Shield Streaming in the GFE settings
  • Pair Moonlight Wii U with the GFE server
  • Accept the pairing confirmation on your PC
  • Connect to the GFE Server with Moonlight Wii U
  • Play games!
Configuration
You can configure all of the documented settings in the moonlight.conf file located at sd:/wiiu/apps/moonlight.

Supported controllers
  • Gamepad (can be disabled with the disable_gamepad option)
  • Up to 4 Wii U Pro Controllers and Wii Classic Controllers (Pro)
    Gamepad needs to be disabled to use the 4th controller
Releases: https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/moonlight-wiiu/releases
Source code: https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/moonlight-wiiu

Special thanks to agilly1989, rw and QuarkTheAwesome.

Thank you very much for such a great Tool. daumen.gif

Now we will see many "new and awesome Game Portation" for the Wii U in the next Days/Weeks on Youtube.:yayu:

Another Way to keep the Wii U alive.:rofl2:

emanubit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Whoa, I legit woke up thinking "wouldn't be nice to have some sort of Steam Link for Wii U". Then I stumbled upon this thread. Imagine my surprise seeing this was posted yesterday haha had to double check twice if this wasn't some April Fools shenanigans :lol:

Thank you @GaryOderNichts ! Going to test this today!

Wii U lives! :yayu:

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
GUYS , if I'm telling you that I'm PLAYING SUPER MARIO ODISSEY FROM MY WII U!!!!!!!!
YOU, what you are going to reply me?
OR, we talking about Luigi's Mansions????
And it's not April's fool or joke, but April Mind-Blowing.....

Attachments

• IMG_20210402_200604.jpg
    IMG_20210402_200604.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_20210402_201240.jpg
    IMG_20210402_201240.jpg
    756.8 KB · Views: 613
  • IMG_20210402_202023.jpg
    IMG_20210402_202023.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_20210402_202110.jpg
    IMG_20210402_202110.jpg
    771.9 KB · Views: 526
Last edited by CrisMod,

KiralyCraft

Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Thanks to stereoanime#2825 on Discord for bringing this up; I'm coming from the Moonlight community, and we totally love seeing the software being ported to lots of devices. This being said, the team would like to invite you to have your own help channel on the official Discord server :D This is the invite code for the server, I have to type it like this since new users can't post hyperlinks :( Here it is: CGg5JxN, and once you're in you can tag me ( KiralyCraft#6941 ) and we'll get you settled in

tooknie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This looks awesome!

Having some trouble - I've put my Host's IP in the right place in the moonlight.conf file, but when I boot it up I simply get a purple/blue screen with the text "Specify an IP address".

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong.

My Wii U and host pc are on the same network (albeit the PC is ethernet and the Wii U is wifi - I'm waiting for a Wii U ethernet adapter to come in the post).

GEforce Experience is running on the host PC and I have activated the Sheild streaming.

CrisMod

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This looks awesome!

Having some trouble - I've put my Host's IP in the right place in the moonlight.conf file, but when I boot it up I simply get a purple/blue screen with the text "Specify an IP address".

Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong.

My Wii U and host pc are on the same network (albeit the PC is ethernet and the Wii U is wifi - I'm waiting for a Wii U ethernet adapter to come in the post).

GEforce Experience is running on the host PC and I have activated the Sheild streaming.
Yes, wasn't specify it.....
To turn on any function into the conf file, once you filled ( now as the example the IP from your PC) you have to delete the # (HASHTAG) otherwise the software will jump the functionality even if you will fill with your parameters.
If you have troubles with the app that will close after certain of seconds, play with the streaming option. Me even with the WiiU WiFi and the PC by Ethernet, I don't have any input lag or connections problems....;)

tooknie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To turn on any function into the conf file, once you filled ( now as the example the IP from your PC) you have to delete the # (HASHTAG) otherwise the software will jump the functionality even if you will fill with your parameters.

Fab! Thanks CrisMod - and thanks @GaryOderNichts - this is incredible!

carlitos2200

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So excited for this! I have been messing with the settings but because of how my set up is I have a lot of signal interference causing moonlight to get bumped off in the middle of a game so I need a network adapter. But so far I have enjoyed Street Fighter IV and The Withcer 2 and 3 for some short tests. Cant wait to play a full game of Fallout NV, though or Doom Eternal on the Wii U.

DucksDoLikeBread

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi I was Trying To Connect But when Opening Moonlight (On The Wii u) It Shows
"Specify An Ip Addres" While i put the ip in the config and saved it
is there a way maby if you update that you type the ip via the wii u

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.