Hacking Moonlight Vita Alpha Released!

Darkcloud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is there anyway to press the triggers and the control sticks down on the vita with this? Or are those buttons not mapped.

Also if anyone doesn't get the popup to pair with moonlight try reverting to an earlier geforce driver (not Geforce Experience version) to pair. you can revert to a newer version afterwards.

kftX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Was the audio ok, with PCSX2 in your case? I tried persona 3 and i get audio lag, messing around with the sound options dont seem to help so far. Dolphin with OpenAL and ppsspp work fine but PCSX2 has quite a bit of audio delay when streaming. On the PC itself its ok so has to do with nvidia gamestream i supose.

Mine seems to be working fine. The game was a bit sluggish but that's because I think my PCSX2 settings are too much for my PC to handle, not related to GameStream/Moonlight itself.

I had to use antimicro to be able to play Neptunia VII but that's the only issue I've had with it so far.

What do you mean 1080p? can you put something else in the settings.txt other then the suggested 1280x720 and 960x544? i dont undferstand 1280 anyway.. because the vita max res is 960...

This is something that PC gamers are more used to I guess.

You see, when you're playing a game you have two resolutions: external and internal. The internal is the resolution at which the game displays, that you probably know. The internal resolution is the one at which the game renders: you can render a game at 4k and play it at 1080p by doing something called "downscaling".

You probably are more aware with upscaling tho, if you use emulators. What we commonly do when we use emulators, since console resolutions are usually low, is upscale the game resolution to look better in our monitors (and better than they did originally).

So what I'm doing with Moonlight is render the stream at 1920x1080 (1080p) and then visualize it at 1280x720 (720p). As someone on reddit pointed out on my thread about this, I don't exactly win anything except the extra detail, even if I'm playing at 1080p on a 5" screen. However, since I don't have to resize every friggin game I want to play, I don't have to worry about resolution incompatibilities.

Sorry about the long winded explanation.

Sinthetix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I've been playing RL a 1080p downscaled to 720p without a hitch. In the last two days I've played:

• SMT: Digital Devil Saga (PS2)
  • Rocket League
  • Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
  • Megadimension Neptunia 7 (Moonlight controller not detected)
All without a single streaming issue.

Anyway that's wrong approach, you are wasting PC/Vita power, you put more work even on router, streaming a 1280x720 video stream instead 960x544.
Remember you can't have better quality on Vita even if streaming 4k from PC because vita is constrained to its native resolution. To understand this better, imagine you have a device with only 2x2 pixels and you want to watch a FullHD movie on it. Also even 2000kbs could be too high for a cartoon like game. I've managed to reduce the latency as much as possible with some additional settings, now when I press a button on Vita in moonlight, visual feedback is almost like when pressing a real hardware button. There are some settings to reduce input lag:
  • setup moonlight to 960 544 60 1500 (played PPSSPP Ratchet & Clank with 1500kbs (resolution x10), looks wonderful)
  • setup in-game settings if possible to get a solid 60fps
  • Nvidia Control Panel: add 960x544 custom resolution, disable in-game VSync and enable Adaptive VSync, set Maximum pre-rendered frames to 1
  • Steam client: enable NVFBC from "Settings/In-home streaming/advanced host options", experiment with streaming quality [Fast, Balanced, Beautiful]
  • Connect your PC directly to the router with a ethernet cable, so that only Vita will be wireless connected, in the best case scenario this can cut latency by half.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Anyway that's wrong approach, you are wasting PC/Vita power, you put more work even on router, streaming a 1280x720 video stream instead 960x544.
Remember you can't have better quality on Vita even if streaming 4k from PC because vita is constrained to its native resolution. To understand this better, imagine you have a device with only 2x2 pixels and you want to watch a FullHD movie on it. Also even 2000kbs could be too high for a cartoon like game. I've managed to reduce the latency as much as possible with some additional settings, now when I press a button on Vita in moonlight, visual feedback is almost like when pressing a real hardware button. There are some settings to reduce input lag:
  • setup moonlight to 960 544 60 1500 (played PPSSPP Ratchet & Clank with 1500kbs (resolution x10), looks wonderful)
  • Nvidia Control Panel: add 960x544 custom resolution, disable in-game VSync and enable Adaptive VSync, set Maximum pre-rendered frames to 1
  • Steam client: enable NVFBC from "Settings/In-home streaming/advanced host options", experiment with streaming quality [Fast, Balanced, Beautiful]
  • Connect your PC directly to the router with a ethernet cable, so that only Vita will be wireless connected, in the best case scenario this can cut latency by half.
Why may I ask adaptive sync?
Also.. the streaming with me is great! just not sure what kbps to use for 720p 60 fps. since 720p 30 fps 2500 and 960x544 60 fps is 4000. I figured 5000 might be okay. or do I need even more KBPS? 2500x2 = 5000...
Also how normal is input lag here? If i put the vita screen next to my laptopscreen and play. there is if i play on pc like no stream lag whatsoever. but if i play on the vita. there is well like 0,5 secs lag or something. It's not alot. And perhaps this is normal for any streaming service and you get used to it. But still it's kinda annoying. What do you guys thing, or how do you play "with" this. sometimes it can feel a bit drunk. played witcher 3 LOOKS GREAT!

Last edited by Chrisssj2,

ma16v3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to be doing something wrong because I can NOT get it to launch while under 544. It just hangs. I set up the resolution in the control panel, I set my primary display to it, I update the settings.txt file to 544 and nothing. All I know is that whenever I close the Nvidia control panel, the 544 resolution I set up gets hidden(unsure if important) again. This makes no sense.

The steps I have taken thus far:
Nvidia control panel -> Change Resolution -> Customize, set up 960x544, 60Hz refresh rate, color depth 32, scan type: Progressive.

I applied the above settings to my primary monitor(I have three total)

I put in "960 544 60 2000" in the settings.txt file in ux0:/data/moonlight/

Started up moonlight, hit circle, Steam never loads. If I put "1280 720 60 2000" in settings Steam will run. How are you guys getting it to stream Vita's native resolution?

Last edited by ma16v3,

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mine seems to be working fine. The game was a bit sluggish but that's because I think my PCSX2 settings are too much for my PC to handle, not related to GameStream/Moonlight itself.

I had to use antimicro to be able to play Neptunia VII but that's the only issue I've had with it so far.

This is something that PC gamers are more used to I guess.

You see, when you're playing a game you have two resolutions: external and internal. The internal is the resolution at which the game displays, that you probably know. The internal resolution is the one at which the game renders: you can render a game at 4k and play it at 1080p by doing something called "downscaling".

You probably are more aware with upscaling tho, if you use emulators. What we commonly do when we use emulators, since console resolutions are usually low, is upscale the game resolution to look better in our monitors (and better than they did originally).

So what I'm doing with Moonlight is render the stream at 1920x1080 (1080p) and then visualize it at 1280x720 (720p). As someone on reddit pointed out on my thread about this, I don't exactly win anything except the extra detail, even if I'm playing at 1080p on a 5" screen. However, since I don't have to resize every friggin game I want to play, I don't have to worry about resolution incompatibilities.

Sorry about the long winded explanation.

I see it's downscaled. but then i still dont quite understand. so if i understand this right. if you put 1920x1080 in text pad you get true downscaling? I played withcer 3. with the 720p textfile , and my ingame options are 1920x1080. Then what is this..?

I have one other problem though. maybe each game needs to be configurred differently? Crysis 2 for example. shows 2/3 of it's screen with some of it out of bound. and shows 1/3 of steam big picture. Then when i play the game the buttons pressed ingame also controll big picture mode ROFL. Crysis 2 = set like all my other games on 1920x1080 fullscreen vsync off

kftX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Honestly I have no intention of using native Vita res, mostly because it's working like a charm with no issues whatsoever. If I start having issues, sure I might do it, but that isn't likely since I played about 4ish hours of Neptunia VII on my Vita without a single problem (bar the occasional Moonlight crash).

I think the beautiful thing about Moonlight is it seems to support all our settings and still runs like a babe anyway :P

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
IMG-20160818-WA0089.jpeg
VitaU
B-)

Reactions: satan89 and kftX

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I gave this a try. It works, but I get like 2 seconds input lag, which makes it unusable for me.

My settings: 960 544 60 4000
My PC specs: i5-2500k (overclocked to 4GHz) + GTX 1060

Anything I can do to minimize the lag?

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Cemu, a Wii U emulator.
How did u get this to start? i have added the path for emu's cemu, pcsx2, dolphin but none of them start.
However all other games start.. weird.

What are you guys getting for wifi speed on the vita? im getting 1.4 Mib to 2.0 Mib on a large video file transferring via filezilla.
So that means max 2000 kbps right. How could you ever get 4000? Doesn't make sense. I dont think it's my network.
Since my laptop can get 30 Megabyte down 9 megabyte up wifi speeds...

Darkcloud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How did u get this to start? i have added the path for emu's cemu, pcsx2, dolphin but none of them start.
However all other games start.. weird.

What are you guys getting for wifi speed on the vita? im getting 1.4 Mib to 2.0 Mib on a large video file transferring via filezilla.
So that means max 2000 kbps right. How could you ever get 4000? Doesn't make sense. I dont think it's my network.
Since my laptop can get 30 Megabyte down 9 megabyte up wifi speeds...
Try activating desktop capture in Geforce Experience with that you can stream pretty much anything.
Also the 200kbps could be a limitation of the write speed to the Memory Stick.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Try activating desktop capture in Geforce Experience with that you can stream pretty much anything.
Also the 200kbps could be a limitation of the write speed to the Memory Stick.
Hmm could be thats why i am curious as to what wifi transfer speeds other people are getting with filezilla ftp.

Found it. but im wondering it says Instant replay, Record,Broadcast, Screenshot.. it doesnt say gamestreaming. Because those functions it mentions are not gamestream..
Well imma try it ill report back.

EDIT Nope. it shows its loading for a second or so, and then returns. nothing happens..
If i run it from steam directly without gamestream it works perfectly

Also if u press alt tab the moonlight app crashes, is that normal?

Last edited by Chrisssj2,

Darkcloud

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hmm could be thats why i am curious as to what wifi transfer speeds other people are getting with filezilla ftp.

Found it. but im wondering it says Instant replay, Record,Broadcast, Screenshot.. it doesnt say gamestreaming. Because those functions it mentions are not gamestream..
Well imma try it ill report back.

EDIT Nope. it shows its loading for a second or so, and then returns. nothing happens..
If i run it from steam directly without gamestream it works perfectly

Also if u press alt tab the moonlight app crashes, is that normal?
If you don't have desktop capture on then yes it crashes. It's under the recording options under privacy. It should also affect game stream.

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you don't have desktop capture on then yes it crashes. It's under the recording options under privacy. It should also affect game stream.
I have desktop capture on now. but if i press alt tab, it will crash the moonlight app. it showed me "skype person has come online " so i think dekstop capture is on indeed. but i dont know...

And still no way to open PCSX2/CEMU/Dolphin in steam gamestream.. its so weird i can start them in steam if im not streaming!! because if it was a graphical issue i would see them when i alt tab no??

trunk208

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I try this for two day straight got like

Moonlight Embedded 2.2.0 (VITA)
Server address: 192.168.1.7
1280 720 60 2000
GET https://192.168.1.7
1280 720 60 2000:47984/serverinfo?uniqueid
GET https://192.168.1.7
1280 720 60 2000:47984/serverinfo?uniqueid=
Can't connect to server (null)

Geforce SHIELD log in - Check
Shield1.png

Shield2.png

cmd ipconfig - Check
ipconfig.png

server.txt - Check
server.png

I turn off avast, windows firewall, Malewarebytes - still null
Restarted PC - still null

:hateit:

Last edited by trunk208,

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok this is weird. i tried CEMU for example and i checked in task manager but its not even starting the exe. Steambig picture mode is showing me a blue blackground for 1-2 seconds then returns to the game shortcut where i tried launching it.
I also tried disabling steambigpicture mode but that never seemed to work.. you use big picture mode right?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I try this for two day straight got like

Geforce SHIELD log in - Check
Shield1.png

Shield2.png

cmd ipconfig - Check
ipconfig.png

server.txt - Check
server.png

I turn off avast, windows firewall, Malewarebytes - still null
Restarted PC - still null

:hateit:
You need to put the 1280 etc.. out of that file into a seperate settings.txt..

Reactions: trunk208

trunk208

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok this is weird. i tried CEMU for example and i checked in task manager but its not even starting the exe. Steambig picture mode is showing me a blue blackground for 1-2 seconds then returns to the game shortcut where i tried launching it.
I also tried disabling steambigpicture mode but that never seemed to work.. you use big picture mode right?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You need to put the 1280 etc.. out of that file into a seperate settings.txt..

wow TY :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1