Monster capture games- what are they missing

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by jahrs, Oct 13, 2018.

1. jahrs
    OP

jahrs GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    New Jersey
    So as of late ive felt like pokemon and monster capture games ie digimon and other game like them have been missing something and dont mean it in the whole gen-oner style of things. perhaps its how set in stone things are and how easy it is most of the time to get what you want. or maybe its how uncreative people are with their teams and how everything always ends with the general same repeatative meta. Tbh im not 100% sure but the games have sorta lost their luster so to speak i used to wanna collect them all and evolve them one by one to see what comes next but now its more or less just googling if its good or not.

perhaps its the system inherent to these games slowly perfecting themselves that have gone a bit stale for some of us who have been here awhile. its a bit to predictable now, for example im a fan of minecrafts pixelmon because of the open world aspect and its imperfect battle system. simply because its different and sometimes randomness occurs like a zombie kills me during a battle or a lvl 1 arceus appears in my house. so its not so much that pokemon or these other monster capture games are boring but are sorta staling a bit.

What are your opinions on the subject. what could spice these games up a bit, open world-ness? cooler creatures?

I sorta like the capture system in pokemon quest but i would like a mixture of that and the normal battle system. ie make food attract a pokemon fight it and capture like the honey on tree system in most pokemon games but with a wider range of pokemon. and maybe bring back the base system or allow full customization of our houses in game.

Also if this is in the wrong place please move it thanks.

Last edited by jahrs, Oct 13, 2018
  2. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    You are right, Pokémon Blue, then I was already fed up for eternity. But it was graet.

Pip'

3. jahrs
    OP

jahrs GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2009
    United States
    New Jersey
    my 3 favorite games where platinum, yellow, and emerald mostly cause they were self contained and had cool stuff post game except yellow which was just cause of pikachu

although sun and moon did spark abit because of alolan formes and decidueye

awhile back i watched a youtube video about a guy who was saying why ratticate was one of the best gen-one pokemons. and i sorta agreed with his reason not so much that raticate was but rather what it stood for. Individual signature moves, and he was right if more pokemon beyond the legends and psedo legends had them ie every pokemon got one then maybe people would use them more.

Last edited by jahrs, Oct 13, 2018
  4. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I think both of these have good ideas to widen out the genre a bit:

Monster Crown because it has a darker story and true crossbreeds, resulting in new monsters altogether.

Tem Tem because it's a more MMO-like take on monster capture, and it has (IMO) very nice 3D styling.