Gaming Monitor setup help.

GutsMan.EXE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Right well i have 2 screens hooked up to my Computer and one i was mainly for just playing games on it. The monitor is a Packard Bell Maestro 190W with max resolution at 1440 x 900 / 75 Hz and it has the following interfaces:

Code:
2 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)
1 x DVI-D - 24 pin digital DVI
1 x audio line-in - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm
I got me a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS with 2 Dual-Link DVI-I, HDTV + TV Out
And i basically want to connect my Xbox 360 and Wii to it. Now for my xbox should i get a dvi to hdmi cable but will that do sound? Or just the "Official Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable"? And for my wii should i get a VGA to RCA converter? The following links for the cables:

Code:
http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/719745/Official-Xbox-360-VGA-HD-AV-Cable/Product.html
http://www.play.com/HOME/HOME/6-/Search.html?searchstring=dvi+to+hdmi&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0
http://www.amazon.co.uk/S-VIDEO-ADAPTER-CONVERTER-CABLE-LAPTOP/dp/B001EL4ZM8
Am i going by this the right way or is there something that's much easier then thing to do what i want?
I think i got everything i wanted to ask in but if not i'll add more
biggrin.gif
Thanks

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
For your Xbox I'd just get the VGA HD AV Cable. I did something similar before and had one of those cables. It worked perfectly. For the sound you may need an adaptor to convert the stereo rca plugs into a headphone plug. Depends on your setup of course.

Can't really help you with the Wii part of it.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For the xbox 360 you should use the DVI connector.

Buy a £1 HDMI to DVI lead off eBay, that will give you your video. Once connected, in the xbox system options you should be able to select 1440 x 900 as a resolution (it will only upscale to that resolution, not render in it) Get your original Xbox 360 AV lead, and use a knife to take off the grey plastic cover (it's easy enough to put back on), you will will now find you can insert that lead at the same time as the HDMI lead. Use the two phono leads for the audio.

You only have one audio input, you'll have to get an audio switch.

You are using a PC monitor, unless you are going online i'd seriously suggest using Dolphin instead of the Wii.

Dolphin:
nsmb.jpg

Wii:
wii2.jpg

View those images full size, and you'll see there's a big difference.

GutsMan.EXE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Right so i got all my cables and got my xbox working with a HDMI to DVI cable + a audio 2 to 1 plug converter like the one you get from the official microsoft VGA cables thing. Now i got a RCA to VGA cable for the wii and didn't work is there nothing else that would work for the wii? If not i'm happy that i got my xbox going and the graphics are so much better then what it was on my crappy TV.
Thanks

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
DVI and HDMI are the same thing with different pins, so no conversion is needed. VGA and RCA aren't exactly the same so some things don't really output properly. TV monitors like mine can automatically adjust to these discrepencies but monitors designed purely for PCs are rarely so robust.

I've never used Dolphin (despite having followed the project so closely over the years) but based on the pics/vids I've seen, it does work better than the Wii does.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this is him being described