Gaming Money cards

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious about those money cards or whatever they're called. Not about what they are for, but more of if any one actually gets them.

This question applies to all forms of cards, from the $20 nintendo ones to whatever crap Facebook has and beyond. I can't be the only one who gets them! And I even have a debit card!!!

Why do I get them? Well, so my dad doesn't know. I live on my own and yet my dad watches my bank account like a hawk. Spending $20 online when it clearly says "Nintendo" on the statement raises alarms, but $20 at Walmart? Oooooh, what could I be buying? Cat food? A new sweater? The plausabilities are endless!

But anyway, this isn't about my stupid bank account situation, I want to know if you guys get them to?

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never understood why anyone would buy these unless they were traveling, I mean a visa gift card is so much better since it works on everything and not just that so you dont just sink 20$ into one medium. But no I dont use it.

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gift cards have a start up fee. That $50 gift card someone gave you? Cost them something like $55 or maybe even $60. So spending $60 just to get $50 in content doesn't seem like a smart idea.

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gift cards have a start up fee. That $50 gift card someone gave you? Cost them something like $55 or maybe even $60. So spending $60 just to get $50 in content doesn't seem like a smart idea.
Not Visa vanilla, atleast not anymore. I bought a few for cristmas and it didnt cost me any extra to activate.

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, but even so, a majority of gift cards have that activation fee. Maybe you're talking about those re-fillable pre-paid debit cards you can find at stores? I don't honestly care for those, but I guess it's better for those who can't have a checking account for some reason...

The Milkman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting, but even so, a majority of gift cards have that activation fee. Maybe you're talking about those re-fillable pre-paid debit cards you can find at stores? I don't honestly care for those, but I guess it's better for those who can't have a checking account for some reason...
Like people who are not adults or dont have or want to make one?

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a debit card when I was in high school and could use it without a problem. Regardless, I'm not about to get after you for owning one. If it works for you, great!

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got one from Wal-mart for my girlfriend as a christmas stocking stuffer, but I had a Sam's Club gift card so I just bought that... plus they were selling the $20 e-store cards for $18, and even with tax that was a little under $19 :)

BenRK

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once place I buy them from has no tax on the card it self. So I could walk in with the rare $20 bill in my pocket and buy a card.

Ooooh! That's another good reason for them. For those who want to use cash!

RedJiggly

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Depends. The funny thing about gift cards is that they are actually very profitable, because a huge part of the gift cards is never used. Wich essentially means that for the company, it's money they got without doing pretty much anything for it.

This also means that there are many gift cards where there is no extra fee on top of the gift value.

Kuragari Ryo

Demon Fox
Trophies
The House Within the Reflection, Ryo Manor
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I get those cards as gifts when my family knows somehow I want those. Otherwise I'm using my debit card for that.
Those cards are alright for those who have parents that don't understand current technology and dont want to use their credit cards or whatever for something they claim to "not know what it is".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn